Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that I don't see this regime losing the cap flexibility to reshape the roster and address multiple needs by paying the premium price to get him. That would seem to go against how they want to rebuild this roster. 

Make no mistake Cousins would be a dramatic upgrade that would reverberate throughout the offense. But this outfit is more conceptual in their thinking and have a big picture approach to building a franchise. It seems to me by getting a high end qb prospect through the draft will provide this franchise for the next few years a lot more flexibility. In general, I like what they are doing. 

....I just don't see much in Cousins and am putting that aside for a different perspective....Bruce Allen is the Deadskins' Prez....as GM for the Bucks, he did a pretty darn good job building that club from 204-2008.....the son of former NFL great HC George Allen was hired by the Deadskins in 2009 (maybe Snyder likes history)......if in fact Cousins is/was the Deadskins guy, it's hard form me to fathom Allen couldn't come up with a long term deal in the last TWO years and now could potentially be faced with a 3rd tag at $34 mil.......something isn't passing the smell test here for a personnel guy like Allen....why?................

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I know your feelings on this OldTime and we don't have to quibble over whether he's mediocre or top 5, but from an immediate impact standpoint you have to admit that upgrading the QB spot without the risk that comes with a 1st round rookie is at least a situation worth looking into. 

...cannot agree with you more bud.........could see this gang guilty of "paralysis by analysis" trying to decipher what may be one of THE biggest decisions in years for OBD especially if you consider the richness of the draft capital position in 2018.....

• Like (+1) 1

Scot McCloughlan?

is that the guy who got fired twice for having a drinking problem?

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In Dennisons offense with this offensive roster? Maybe. 

Cousins is better then Tyrod, but I find it funny how soon people have forgotten Tyrod was solid the past couple years before Dennison arrived and forced a system on a QB who clearly didn't fit it. Along with a coach/GM who stripped the offense of most of its playmakers and having the worst WR corps in the league.

Even EJ scored an average of over 20 ppg.  

Damn defense sucked though.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

TD's thrown

KC - 27

TT- 13

that's more than slightly better

if cousins was on this years team....we beat JAX

And yet TT won more games. Weird, huh?

I'm not saying TT is a better QB. But why didn't the Redskins do better with Cousins? That's a legitimate question.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

30 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'd have to figure up which players we couldn't have with Cousins contract before answering.  

TT - $18,080,000.00

Clay - $9,000,000.00

Total - $27,080,000.00

Roll with a rookie TE.

The difference between a Mediocre QB and a Top Paid QB is one "Good" player.

It's no doubt why QB's get the money.

I'm not a huge Kirk Cousins fan but "cost" shouldn't be the issue.

I think a lot of people here are reading things into this that the guy didn't say.  

Read it.   He said he tried to make a deal with Cousins and couldn't.   He said that the cost of the franchise tag is now prohibitive.   What he seems to be saying is that the Redskins won't be able to make a deal with Cousins and they can't afford to franchise him.

He said Cousins isn't special.   That isn't news.   Everyone knows Cousins is not Peyton Manning.

So if you're objective is to get a Hall of Fame quarterback, Cousins isn't your guy.   But if your objective is more realistic, to get a good QB on your team, this guy sounds completely supportive of Cousins.   He's smart, he works hard, he plays well, he delivers.   The 

I think the objective is a top 10 QB.   The Bradys, Mannings, Roethlisbergers are leaving the league, and their successors are not obvious.  Other than Rodgers, who looks to be the new generation of Hall of Famers?   Not Cam, not yet.   Not Luck.   Not the guy in Philadelphia, not yet.   Not the guy in LA, either, certainly not yet.   Not Stafford.   Who are they?   

The answer is they're not there.   The game was extraordinarily pass-friendly when the retiring QBs were in their prime and late prime, and now that time is passing.   

So you need a good QB, a top 10 QB.   You need someone better than Taylor.   Where are you going to get one of those?   It's nearly total guess-work in the draft.   But there is one who is going to be a free agent - Cousins.   Not Bradford or Foles or any of the other guys who haven't had consistent success.   Cousins has had consistent success as a QB.   

I think that's what this guy is saying about Cousins.   

Someone is going to sign him.  That team will do more for their chances of winning in 2018 than any other team in the league.   He may not be special, but he'll make a bigger difference than anyone else who joins a team next season.  

The only question is whether you're a bidder.   He's going somewhere, and he's going to be a good QB somewhere.  

Imagine him on the 2017 Bills.   I'd say the Bills win at least two more games:  Bengals and Ravens.   And, for that matter, maybe one Patriots game.   How much would you pay for two more wins?

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And yet TT won more games. Weird, huh?

I'm not saying TT is a better QB. But why didn't the Redskins do better with Cousins? That's a legitimate question.

The Redskins play the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants for six games a year.   They play in a much tougher division, and in all honesty a much better conference.

Cousins is worlds beyond Tyrod as a quarterback.  

The McCloughan segment begins at about 17:30 into the audio. 

http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10016335&sid=1171&n=Pritchard+and+Cecil

Former NFL GM Scot McCloughan joined Pritchard & Cecil. Scot McCloughan talks about his time in Washington with Kirk Cousins and what type of quarterback Kirk Cousins. Scot McCloughan also discusses some other quarterbacks in the draft this season and why it's so tough for young quarterbacks out of college.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

TT - $18,080,000.00

Clay - $9,000,000.00

Total - $27,080,000.00

Roll with a rookie TE.

The difference between a Mediocre QB and a Top Paid QB is one "Good" player.

It's no doubt why QB's get the money.

I'm not a huge Kirk Cousins fan but "cost" shouldn't be the issue.

This is the point that I think people miss.  You're more or less nowhere without a top QB.   The one exception is when you can build a GREAT defense, but if you can do it it only works for a year or two.   Minnesota isn't going to dominate multiple years with that defense.  

Otherwise, only a good QB keeps your team competitive.   Someone is going to spend the money for Cousins, and that somebody will have a good QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

Cousins is good but not great. He didn’t finish the season strong. I like him and would take him in a second but he isn’t the franchise savior that people are hoping for. He isn’t a guy that raises the guys around him. 

One of he reasons that I like him for the Bills is that they will still have cap space and all of their picks. This team has a lot of holes and Cousins makes it easier to plug those holes.

• Like (+1) 3