Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

Neither do I.  

More from the interview:

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Denver radio station 104.3 The Fan, via the Washington Post. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Washington offensive coordinator-turned-Rams coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building; he’s always watching tape; he’s always talking to coaches; he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

“The thing about it is, when I was there, we tried to get a long-term deal done and were unable to do it,” McCloughan said. “He’s respected in the building. He’s a really good football player; he’s a leader; he’s a smart guy; he does everything right. But he has all the leverage now. . . . If they tag him for a third time, that’s $34 million for one season. It’s good if you’ve got a guy that you know can win a world championship for you, but it affects the other guys, teammates, because of contracts. You’re investing so much money in one position, you’re going to lose some good players, some good young players, and that, from a GM standpoint, that’s how you have to look at it. You’d love to have him. I’m sure they’d love to have him back for another year. He’s had three solid seasons in a row, but it’s a huge investment, and it’s going to affect the team.”

The McCloughan segment begins at about 17:30 into the audio. 

http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10016335&sid=1171&n=Pritchard+and+Cecil

Former NFL GM Scot McCloughan joined Pritchard & Cecil. Scot McCloughan talks about his time in Washington with Kirk Cousins and what type of quarterback Kirk Cousins. Scot McCloughan also discusses some other quarterbacks in the draft this season and why it's so tough for young quarterbacks out of college.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wasn’t McCloughan the GM Cousins went right up into his face after a great Washington win and basically yelled at?

oh yeah!

here it is.

“After his 375 passing yards and three touchdowns helped the Redskins beat the Green Bay Packers 42-24, the veteran QB tracked down general manager Scot McCloughan and screamed a bold message into his ear.”

“How you like me now?!”

lol.  Keep up the good work Mr. McCloughan.  ? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

More from the interview:

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Denver radio station 104.3 The Fan, via the Washington Post. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Washington offensive coordinator-turned-Rams coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building; he’s always watching tape; he’s always talking to coaches; he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

“The thing about it is, when I was there, we tried to get a long-term deal done and were unable to do it,” McCloughan said. “He’s respected in the building. He’s a really good football player; he’s a leader; he’s a smart guy; he does everything right. But he has all the leverage now. . . . If they tag him for a third time, that’s $34 million for one season. It’s good if you’ve got a guy that you know can win a world championship for you, but it affects the other guys, teammates, because of contracts. You’re investing so much money in one position, you’re going to lose some good players, some good young players, and that, from a GM standpoint, that’s how you have to look at it. You’d love to have him. I’m sure they’d love to have him back for another year. He’s had three solid seasons in a row, but it’s a huge investment, and it’s going to affect the team.”

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

More from the interview:

I listened to a tape of his interview on a Maryland station. I thought his evaluation of Cousins and the situation was spot on. He objectively listed his strengths and weaknesses. The conundrum for the Redskins is if they give Cousins the money that he wants then the franchise is going to be handcuffed in attempting to upgrade the rest of the roster. My takeaway from the interview is that although he believes Cousins is a good qb he is not the elite caliber of qb you should mortgage the rest of the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 minutes ago, 87168 said:

27 TDs and no playoffs. 

Washington was 32nd in run defense and 28th in run offense, that is definitely Cousins fault.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I listened to a tape of his interview on a Maryland station. I thought his evaluation of Cousins and the situation was spot on. He objectively listed his strengths and weaknesses. The conundrum for the Redskins is if they give Cousins the money that he wants then the franchise is going to be handcuffed in attempting to upgrade the rest of the roster. My takeaway from the interview is that although he believes Cousins is a good qb he is not the elite caliber of qb you should mortgage the rest of the roster. 

....agree with your takeaway as well as Scott's assessment.....yet the TBD pundits see it differently...........I'd rather overpay for a beer than meet his demands for mediocrity......

• Like (+1) 1

Of course he's not special. If he was special they would have paid him like he was. He's a top 10 QB but not in the tier of Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I don't think anybody is disputing that. That being said, he's much better than "slightly above average" that a poster above wants to paint him as.

I don't know if he's worth the contract he's going to get but he's one of the best QBs in the league and you can defiantly win with him if the other pieces are in place. Granted, as mentioned in the article, a huge contract my prohibit having the cash to put the rest of the team around him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ILoveEndingTheSeasonInNov said:

Same here.  Our roster needs way too much work to overpay for a slightly above average QB

We are a 12-4 team in 2017 with Cousins instead of Taylor.  How can anyone not like that?  And thats with having a bare cupboard most the year at WR due to trades and injuries.  

We won 9 with TT, safe to say we still win all those 9 games.  We definitely win the Car, Cincy and Charger game with Cousins as the QB.  Thats 12 wins right there, not to mention both NE games were winnable as well as the Jets game.  And we definitely win the Jax game with Cousins.  

We would be a 12 win team that would have been at least in the 2nd round of the playoffs with 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and extra picks in the other rounds of the draft too.  How can anyone be down on that scenario?

THREE OF THE FINAL 4 QB's IN THE PLAYOFFS ARE:  Borltes, Keenum, and Foles.  Cousins is substantially better than all 3.  For anyone to sit back and think Cousins isnt good enough just because he isnt a top 5 QB in the NFL is crazy.  You dont have to be "special"...those guys are rare...if we wait for a "special" QB we wont win for a long time.  The last "special" QB we had failed to deliver a SB despite playing on a roster full of talent and HOF players on both sides of the ball.  

Screw "Special"...give us good to very good coupled with all those draft picks and we are a VERY dangerous team.  

GIVE ME COUSINS!

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree with your takeaway as well as Scott's assessment.....yet the TBD pundits see it differently...........I'd rather overpay for a beer than meet his demands for mediocrity......

I agree with you that I don't see this regime losing the cap flexibility to reshape the roster and address multiple needs by paying the premium price to get him. That would seem to go against how they want to rebuild this roster. 

Make no mistake Cousins would be a dramatic upgrade that would reverberate throughout the offense. But this outfit is more conceptual in their thinking and have a big picture approach to building a franchise. It seems to me by getting a high end qb prospect through the draft will provide this franchise for the next few years a lot more flexibility. In general, I like what they are doing. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I know your feelings on this OldTime and we don't have to quibble over whether he's mediocre or top 5, but from an immediate impact standpoint you have to admit that upgrading the QB spot without the risk that comes with a 1st round rookie is at least a situation worth looking into. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building; he’s always watching tape; he’s always talking to coaches; he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

Sound like anyone we know?