Service/Support Animal Crackdown

T&C

Delta airlines has taken a stand and stores/other places need to follow... random animals everywhere, in shopping carts, restaurant seats, etc. Leave the pet skunk at home. Certification/vaccination/ documents etc. should be standard everywhere imo.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/delta-sets-more-stringent-requirements-for-support-animals-on-board.html

I was listening to a NPR show recently where they were discussing emotional support animals.  Essentially, they were saying that anyone can easily go online and have just about any animal “certified” as an emotional support animal for a fee of a couple hundred bucks.

They took several callers, and a few of them flat out admitted that they got their dogs/cats certified purely because it was cheaper than paying for them to fly the regular way.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good. I was flying one time, the girl in front of me had a small dog in a baby stroller, wearing a "Service Animal" vest. There was a web address on the vest, so while boarding I looked it up. It was one of the fake SA sites, she bought the vest for about $65. For more money, they'd also provide the letter. 

48 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Good. I was flying one time, the girl in front of me had a small dog in a baby stroller, wearing a "Service Animal" vest. There was a web address on the vest, so while boarding I looked it up. It was one of the fake SA sites, she bought the vest for about $65. For more money, they'd also provide the letter. 

That reminds me of something.

I'm going over to the Pet Peeves Thread.

I make it a point to ask people when I see them with service animals why they have them.  And if it looks like it's somebody who served, I generally say thank you for your service. I usually a wait their response before having the standard in answers. Either I'm needing one myself for a family member, I support the plight of those with the service animal issue, I'm in PETA, or just downright make fun of them. Who would've ever figured I'm kind of an !@#$??????

Ever seen someone ride around their beloved nasty poodle in a shopping cart for an hour... pay, and then leave. If you didn't see it happen you have no idea that mr. kissyface has left his funk all over that cart. Yeah... let me throw some groceries in there.

We used to buy an extra seat for our pooch (not a service animal) even though he couldn't come up on the seat itself - we could pull him out to the foot space area and open the carry on case (all I could think of it getting stuck next to someone who is afraid of dogs - he has hair, so allergies were not an issue so could not see not buying a second seat). We had to have shot paperwork for him (he's rabies titered now, and so he is no longer eligible to fly). While I understand not forcing the purchase of a second seat for a service animal, I can't imagine why they were not subject to the same shot paperwork a non-service dog is subject to.

It's my rough estimate, with no research that 70% of the people that take their animals around and treat them like humans are exploiting the system. Aside from blind people and those with severe ptsd,  and those that are training service dogs there's no reason to bring animals into most public situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was listening to a NPR show recently where they were discussing emotional support animals.  Essentially, they were saying that anyone can easily go online and have just about any animal “certified” as an emotional support animal for a fee of a couple hundred bucks.

They took several callers, and a few of them flat out admitted that they got their dogs/cats certified purely because it was cheaper than paying for them to fly the regular way.  

It also lets you write them off on your taxes, as medical expenses.

I always preferred the "fake SSN" route myself.  Bigger deduction.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I just saw some lady got snagged for trying to bring a support peacock on a plane. Said lady should be bludgeoned with the peacock.

I saw that too but was too lazy busy to post. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/emotional-support-peacock-denied-flight-united-airlines-n842971

Looked like someone trying to get their 15 minutes of fame:

“We explained this to the customer on three separate occasions before they arrived at the airport,”