"Brian Daboll could bridge gap between college, NFL games in Buffalo" (great article)

Logic

1 hour ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Have we landed him ? Not a statement from him or sighting all week,

My guess is that they are all at the Senior Bowl this week and that is a priority over introductions. Since they have officially "named" him, he must be under contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Or, perhaps he has learned from his earlier experiences, spent more time around great coaches, and has, you know, grown and improved as a coach.

Nah, you're right, we should evaluate everyone based upon what they did 5-6 years ago and presume nobody ever gets better.

So bridge means bad?

I sure as hell hope he does make things more like college.. ie  INTERESTING!!!!! Nothing was worse than watching that boring Bills offense last year, with its boring vanilla plays and its complete lack of deception and total lack of sophistication. It was like Dennison was completely terrified of what TT might do if he called a complex play. TT for his part apparently cannot execute a complex play even if its designed for him!! Watching the Bowl games and national championship always brings me back to why I love football as a sport. You see innovative and aggressive offensive units who are unafraid to unleash their players! I hope we get some of that next year!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still suprised we landed him. It just hit me about the Belicheck/Saban connection as well. He was obviously highly recommend by Belicheck to his good buddy Saban, and was groomed to replace McDaniels imo.

Pleasently surprised he took the job so quickly. I love the hire. I love our aggressiveness by our front office, we wasted no time , and got our guy and most likely ruined NEs plans this off-season

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

So bridge means bad?

Clearly @kdiggz's implication is that Daboll sucks and is only here to "get us through" until a franchise QB and "real" OC are on board -- which is pretty ridiculous given Daboll's experience and grooming for a position such as this.

Saying someone is a "bridge" means you think they aren't good enough for the long term and are only a placeholder.  So yeah, I think that's bad.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm still suprised we landed him. It just hit me about the Belicheck/Saban connection as well. He was obviously highly recommend by Belicheck to his good buddy Saban, and was groomed to replace McDaniels imo.

Pleasently surprised he took the job so quickly. I love the hire. I love our aggressiveness by our front office, we wasted no time , and got our guy and most likely ruined NEs plans this off-season

My understanding is that his family remained in western NY while he was involved in the football business. If that is the case this is a terrific situation for him to be in from a personal and business standpoint. 

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

He checks a lot of boxes- now he has to find his qb and make it happen. Most offensive coordinators have a good scheme/philosophy/success of some variety to point to when they come in 

I have said this before: Daboll has to know that he got some mulligans in his first 3 shots due to crap QB, but in his 4th shot as OC he needs to "bring it" or a 5th will be hard to find.   I could be wrong, but I don't think he jumped on board without knowing the Bills QB plans.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Below is an article from Cover1.net. If you don't already follow this guy on Twitter or subscribe to the website, you should. Tremendous breakdowns of players and gameplans, often with great videos, gifs, and pictures to accompany the articles. Below, he breaks down Daboll's offensive gameplan and playcalls against Georgia in the National Championship game, and after reading the article, I can't help but be really excited for the 2018 season to get underway! 

http://www.cover1.net/offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-could-bridge-the-college-and-nfl-game-in-buffalo/

"Landing Daboll is the best of both worlds as a Bills fan. The organization hired a guy that has experience game-planning and play calling on the biggest stages at both the NFL and collegiate level. He has championships with New England and now with Alabama. He was groomed under Nick Saban dating all the way back to his Michigan State days and then under Belichick in New England. So he has the attention to detail that McDermott wants, which includes teaching young QBs like Hurts and Tagovailoa, but he also has a touch of modern football in his arsenal. Daboll is able to use creative personnel groupings and looks on offense to confuse defenses, all while making things as easy as possible for his QB and offensive unit as a whole."

Good find, agree with you about cover1.  Always worth reading.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

bb ds.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

because that's exactly what he is.  poor history as play caller, very basic plays, experience working with bad QB's.  we will hopefully be moving on from him once we get a real QB

Don't tell me, let me guess.  You did not read the article Logic linked.

5 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Have we landed him ? Not a statement from him or sighting all week,

Was announced on Buffalobills.com

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-name-Brian-Daboll-offensive-coordinator/58d55b26-d646-4f43-a7a5-c3f65d2adcc7

Saban made a statement

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2018/01/15/nick-saban-statement-on-bills-hire-of-daboll/

If your new boss thinks you're hired, and your old boss thinks you're hired, it would be pretty damned embarrassing if you turn out not to be hired. 

5 hours ago, hemma said:

Good question.

Packing/vacation/house hunting?

Watching game film on QB?

Thought he already owns a house in Orchard Park.  And he can vacation after the draft - for a day or two.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I would take anything from Cover 1 with a grain of salt. I don't know if you guys remember, but these guys were fawning over the possibilities of Tyrod in Dennison's offense when even "just a lame old fan" like me knew that was a disaster waiting to happen. It was never a fit but these guys hyped it up for the entire summer.

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My understanding is that his family remained in western NY while he was involved in the football business. If that is the case this is a terrific situation for him to be in from a personal and business standpoint. 

Good point. Forgot about the WNY connection, and yes makes sense from that standpoint for sure. I'm also thinking he didn't want to be in Brady/Belichecks shadow maybe? He was basically a lock to replace McDaniels, I'm still curious why he was so quick to sign here. 

I think he sees a franchise on the right track,on the brink of being a consistent AFC contender with the core talent and draft capital/FA money he can bring in his type of WR, number 2 RB,and obviously QB. Also has tons of Intel on NE, such a good hire on so many levels. I don't care about his past in the NFL. Imo he grew alot as a coach in NE and Alabama. Haven't felt this good about the direction of this franchise in my life!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I would take anything from Cover 1 with a grain of salt. I don't know if you guys remember, but these guys were fawning over the possibilities of Tyrod in Dennison's offense when even "just a lame old fan" like me knew that was a disaster waiting to happen. It was never a fit but these guys hyped it up for the entire summer.

I really like their stuff.  But I agree it tends to always be optimistic which is probably why I like it.  I will say when the good things happen they are usually correct about the how.

This does present a lot of options for our front office and they can play it smart based on what becomes available and the cost to get what they covet.

TT took a bashing this year and we all know he is not elite, but the offense had success with basically the same personnel (outside of WR) When looking to draft a QB, it will be interesting to see who Daboll is pining for.  If he really likes LaMar Jackson and feels they can ramp up the run game with a mobile QB, then TT may stay. 

If McD and Daboll love Mayfield and are going to move to get him, then perhaps McCown becomes a bridge. A low cost gamble on Bradford or Bridgewater may even come into play.  If they think Rudolph is their guy, and don't have to move up, Smith may become the bridge and losing a 3rd/5th is worth the gamble or even McCarron, especially if he wins his FA status.

I do feel that we will try to establish 2-3 QB's who have the same skillset, so the offense is more plug and play if someone gets hurt. I'd love to be in the film room as Daboll evaluates TT and sees if he can fix all his shortcoming and build an offense around him and what else they are thinking. We will know soon enough, but it seems we are heading in the right direction and I trust our FO more than I have in a long, long time.

GO BILLS!!!

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Good point. Forgot about the WNY connection, and yes makes sense from that standpoint for sure. I'm also thinking he didn't want to be in Brady/Belichecks shadow maybe? He was basically a lock to replace McDaniels, I'm still curious why he was so quick to sign here. 

He's a Red Raider. You go to SF and it would be a dream to come home and lead the Bills back to dominance. He goes to NE to replace McDaniels, he has a few years with Brady who will basically run the O and then he's in a not so enviable position to make sure the next QB really is the next Brady and he does not have Jimmy G to fall on. Lots of pressure up there. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, eball said:

Or, perhaps he has learned from his earlier experiences, spent more time around great coaches, and has, you know, grown and improved as a coach.

Nah, you're right, we should evaluate everyone based upon what they did 5-6 years ago and presume nobody ever gets better.

+1. Yeah like Belichick after Cleveland or Marv after KC. They never improve.

Edited by Green Lightning

15 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

It is true that they are optimistic in their reporting.

That being said, it wasn't really a stretch to think that an offensive system built on rollouts, moving pocket, and throwing on the run would play to Taylor's strengths. It didn't turn out that way, but it's not as if the prediction was way off base.