"Brian Daboll could bridge gap between college, NFL games in Buffalo" (great article)

Logic

Below is an article from Cover1.net. If you don't already follow this guy on Twitter or subscribe to the website, you should. Tremendous breakdowns of players and gameplans, often with great videos, gifs, and pictures to accompany the articles. Below, he breaks down Daboll's offensive gameplan and playcalls against Georgia in the National Championship game, and after reading the article, I can't help but be really excited for the 2018 season to get underway! 

http://www.cover1.net/offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-could-bridge-the-college-and-nfl-game-in-buffalo/

"Landing Daboll is the best of both worlds as a Bills fan. The organization hired a guy that has experience game-planning and play calling on the biggest stages at both the NFL and collegiate level. He has championships with New England and now with Alabama. He was groomed under Nick Saban dating all the way back to his Michigan State days and then under Belichick in New England. So he has the attention to detail that McDermott wants, which includes teaching young QBs like Hurts and Tagovailoa, but he also has a touch of modern football in his arsenal. Daboll is able to use creative personnel groupings and looks on offense to confuse defenses, all while making things as easy as possible for his QB and offensive unit as a whole."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

As I stated when they hired him, I was not excited about it but I understand why they did. We don't have a QB so getting a OC that is used to having a good QB isn't going to work. Daboll will be a bridge OC to get us through this next phase while we try and find our QB.

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Good stuff.  One issue with these types of guys is that they are so confident in their ability to coach up the talent and to create a scheme that they think they can win with anyone at QB (or elsewhere).  Hopefully he isn't that type, or McBeane reigns him in if he is.

After working with the likes of Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, Matt Cassel, etc he should know better. 

15 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

As I stated when they hired him, I was not excited about it but I understand why they did. We don't have a QB so getting a OC that is used to having a good QB isn't going to work. Daboll will be a bridge OC to get us through this next phase while we try and find our QB.

Where do you come up with this stuff?  :doh:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Good stuff.  One issue with these types of guys is that they are so confident in their ability to coach up the talent and to create a scheme that they think they can win with anyone at QB (or elsewhere).  Hopefully he isn't that type, or McBeane reigns him in if he is.

I always thought Gailey figured he could win with Fitzpatrick and so he and Nix never took a QB in the 3 seasons they were paired. Fitz had limitations (including having almost no weapons) but I never understood this mentality.

I would hope McBeane get the QB and they work from there. An OC will have some say in that,  but not so much to sway the GM and HC from their decision.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Where do you come up with this stuff?  :doh:

because that's exactly what he is.  poor history as play caller, very basic plays, experience working with bad QB's.  we will hopefully be moving on from him once we get a real QB

Just now, kdiggz said:

because that's exactly what he is.  poor history as play caller, very basic plays, experience working with bad QB's.  we will hopefully be moving on from him once we get a real QB

Or, perhaps he has learned from his earlier experiences, spent more time around great coaches, and has, you know, grown and improved as a coach.

Nah, you're right, we should evaluate everyone based upon what they did 5-6 years ago and presume nobody ever gets better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Below is an article from Cover1.net. If you don't already follow this guy on Twitter or subscribe to the website, you should. Tremendous breakdowns of players and gameplans, often with great videos, gifs, and pictures to accompany the articles. Below, he breaks down Daboll's offensive gameplan and playcalls against Georgia in the National Championship game, and after reading the article, I can't help but be really excited for the 2018 season to get underway! 

http://www.cover1.net/offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-could-bridge-the-college-and-nfl-game-in-buffalo/

"Landing Daboll is the best of both worlds as a Bills fan. The organization hired a guy that has experience game-planning and play calling on the biggest stages at both the NFL and collegiate level. He has championships with New England and now with Alabama. He was groomed under Nick Saban dating all the way back to his Michigan State days and then under Belichick in New England. So he has the attention to detail that McDermott wants, which includes teaching young QBs like Hurts and Tagovailoa, but he also has a touch of modern football in his arsenal. Daboll is able to use creative personnel groupings and looks on offense to confuse defenses, all while making things as easy as possible for his QB and offensive unit as a whole."

Can't wait

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you did not read or digest the article I posted. It very clearly demonstrates creative, modern playcalling. Not "very basic". It also shows how his playcalls changed when a superior passing quarterback came into the game in the second half. It demonstrates that he called the game one way when he had a limited QB in the first half, then called it a completely different way when that changed in the second half. 

Again, you're entitled to your opinion. I just happen to think that your opinion is off base and indicative of the fact that you did not read the article posted.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, eball said:

Or, perhaps he has learned from his earlier experiences, spent more time around great coaches, and has, you know, grown and improved as a coach.

Nah, you're right, we should evaluate everyone based upon what they did 5-6 years ago and presume nobody ever gets better.

I agree, doing any trade for even 4 years you are nothing like you were when you 1st started. So much experience is learned from making mistakes, most people keep getting better and better at their jobs, especially someone who seems so driven to succeed.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you did not read or digest the article I posted. It very clearly demonstrates creative, modern playcalling. Not "very basic". It also shows how his playcalls changed when a superior passing quarterback came into the game in the second half. It demonstrates that he called the game one way when he had a limited QB in the first half, then called it a completely different way when that changed in the second half. 

Again, you're entitled to your opinion. I just happen to think that your opinion is off base and indicative of the fact that you did not read the article posted.

Someone didn't do the assigned reading. OooooOoooOooh!!!

16 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Have we landed him ? Not a statement from him or sighting all week,

This, combined with reports that NE wanted him as the OC heir apparant, make me go "Hmmm." 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

If he does well here next year he may be an HC before long.