Pieces needed to win AFC East in 2018

Tatonka68

Just now, theAteam said:

Yet he still made a run for MVP

I'll believe he's done when I see it but I didn't see it this year. Maybe next year but we've been saying that for how long now

Apparently it’s been real easy to stop Brady for his whole career, just ask the geniuses in here.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

1. Quarterback, does not have to be a Drew Brees type, just someone who can convert %60 of 3rd downs and score 24 points a game. Alex Smith, Kurt Cousins, Sam Bradford or Rookie.

2. Maintain a tight secondary, either resign Gaines or draft an acceptable replacement. I would resign Gaines at a reasonable rate if they can.

3. At least one dominant DT who can push the pocket. Hughes still has life on the edge but no interior pocket pressure last year. Maurice Hurst, Derrick Nnadi or Da'Ron Payne.

4. Franchise ILB, Preston Brown had a lot of tackles but made few impact plays.Take your pick of Rashaan Evans, Micah Kiser or  Roquan Smith.  a 100 + tackle, 4 sack, 4 INT player. 

If these are all filled the Bills will make the playoffs again and compete for the division. 

(WHAT DO YOU THINK??)

I don't think any team converted more than 45% of their 3rd downs and only 10 teams averaged at least 24 points per game.  I think item 1 on your list is a fairly big ask.

Agree with 2 and 3, but I don't think Hurst is going to push the pocket - he is very small for a DT and would rely on quickness rather than power.  He is also likely to be a liability in run defense.

I agree that LB is a big need, but I don't think you'll see Roquan Smith available and I would be surprised if they pick a LB before round 3 (not that I am saying they shouldn't)

I think a dominate line on both sides, and an NFL "average" QB wins the division.  Andrew Luck has proven that a franchise QB without a line isn't enough to contend.

Also someone to hold Gronkowski to a mere 75 yards and 0.5 TDs per game vs. us would be nice.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

I think a dominate line on both sides, and an NFL "average" QB wins the division.  Andrew Luck has proven that a franchise QB without a line isn't enough to contend.

Also someone to hold Gronkowski to a mere 75 yards and 0.5 TDs per game vs. us would be nice.

They only go to Gronk if they have to, see the Steelers game. So just quoting stats isn’t half the real picture for the reality that anyone who watched knows.

The Bills need to resign EJ Gaines and their better backup players. Kyle to me is likely done, what a way to go out but he certainly would have a spot if he came back. After you keep your own I think you have to look at trying to plug the hole at DT, even if Kyle comes back there is still a need there. Star would be the big run stuffer I would go for. He would probably come affordably since the DT market has a lot of good players and he has been a McD guy before. Then I think you try and find a linebacker, no matter what you are going to have to draft a LB early but find a good OLB or MLB in the 4-5 million dollar range seems reasonable. 

After that I think the Bills will be pretty close to capped out. Even a restructure on both Glenn and Hughes wouldn't save a dramatic amount of money so you probably aren't going to have the cap space to do much more than that in free agency. But you keep your talent and you plug a couple of holes on defense that frees up your draft board. I am fine with keeping Tyrod and drafting a QB, force a young QB to go out there and beat Tyrod. Then draft a pass rusher, receiver or tightend, and linebacker to round out the defense and add a weapon on offense. Rounds 3 and 4 draft a RB and a Guard to help get youth at positions that you are older at and hope it all plays out well. 

The Bills have decent cap space but not dramatic cap space. They have a lot of assets too. But they are going to go into 2018 with flaws on their roster. 

This is the main reason I want AJ McCarron, I think he can easily put up Andy Dalton type numbers and won't kill the cap. He will be the perfect bridge QB for a rookie and has the talent to maybe be the guy. 

He is a super hard worker and he is going to play like his hair is on fire if he wins the starting job.

Im hoping the Bills make a strong push to get McCarron.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They only go to Gronk if they have to, see the Steelers game. So just quoting stats isn’t half the real picture for the reality that anyone who watched knows.

I'm not sure what this means... If the Patriots need to go to Gronk, it would be nice to have a method to limit his effectiveness.

I'll also make sure to put together a log of my football viewing hours so that I may have the ability to sit at message board table with someone so knowledgeable.

1 hour ago, theAteam said:

First thing we need is Brady/Belichick to be gone. They went 13-3 this year. Even if we split with them we'd need to go 12-4 to even have a chance with tiebreakers.

You can improve all you want but you will need to get over them to take the division.

You do realize if they split with the Pats* in '17 they would have been 10-6, so you're only asking for two more wins better than that?

You don't think an upgrade at QB, OC, and all that draft capital could do that?

Edited by BobChalmers

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB

....but what about QB?....

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

I'm not sure what this means... If the Patriots need to go to Gronk, it would be nice to have a method to limit his effectiveness.

I'll also make sure to put together a log of my football viewing hours so that I may have the ability to sit at message board table with someone so knowledgeable.

Good that you can learn important things.

pats have kept away from Gronk, especially over the middle this year; he was ignored the whole first half of the Steelers game while clearly open. 

when they had to they went to him most of the second half.

Just enough to win.

sorry his fantasy stats didn’t shock and awe you 

and theres zippo a team can do to stop a healthy Gronk when Brady stops ignoring him

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Good that you can learn important things.

pats have kept away from Gronk, especially over the middle this year; he was ignored the whole first half of the Steelers game while clearly open. 

when they had to they went to him most of the second half.

Just enough to win.

sorry his fantasy stats didn’t shock and awe you 

and theres zippo a team can do to stop a healthy Gronk when Brady stops ignoring him

In NE's 2 losses, Gronk was held to an average of 58 yards and 0 TDs (meeting my defensive requirement).  In his other 12 games he average 80 yards and 0.66 TDS. (not meeting my defensive requirement).  I'm not sure what you're trying to debate.  I'm not asking for Gronk to have more exposure to impress me with fantasy stats.  I'm asking our defense to come up with a way to slow him down when they "stop ignoring him".

5 hours ago, kdiggz said:

QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB , QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB

Thought you would slip that random "LB" in there and no one would notice huh?

5 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I know this is a passing league.....but you do realize that even counting the practice squad......that's way too many QB's ?

but a 53 man roster with all QB's....you are way ahead of your time.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Were you a bad student in QB class or something?