Friendly Reminder For Mock Drafters In Regards To Denver

Like A Mofo

1 hour ago, nemhoff said:

It is baffling to me that Elway doesn't take more heat for the moves that they have made post-Manning

He's a couple of years removed from winning a SB. Which Bills GM has ever been able to say that? I think that buys him some time along with the fact he's a local legend. 

Chad Kelly has an NFL arm and has done some good things on the football field, but I can't imagine that he did enough while recovering from injury to convince John Elway that he is a sure thing.  Whenever they can, and especially at the QB spot, GMs want to hedge their bets, and are loathe to put all their eggs in one basket when what they have is not a known commodity, because it could mean their jobs.  Even if Elway thinks that Chad Kelly might have what it takes to be a successful starter, he will try to bring in somebody else who stands a decent chance of being able to start.  That means either a free agent or a reasonably high draft pick.

11 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Q for someone who's actually seen or followed Denver this year, which isn't me:  is Paxton Lynch just out?  Like the Christian Hackenberg of the Rockies?  Not even salvage value?

Pretty much. I follow the Broncos since I  live in Colorado, and I haven't heard anyone - not Broncos, not media, not self-appointed analysts - suggest that Paxton Lynch (or any of the QBs currently on the roster) is in the competition for starting QB in 2018.  That's not to say Lynch won't be back as a backup. He really hasn't been Peterman-awful in his limited action. Kind of more like EJ-bad. There's many teams with worse backup QBs.  So yes, I think the Broncos will either make a strong play for a free agent QB (the most likely scenario, given that their key players are veterans and they think - rightly or wrongly - that they can be right back in the mix next year with decent QB play and a few other breaks), or right in the QB draft mix. Maybe both.

• Like (+1) 1

I was high on Petermen and I was willing to give him a break after San Diego. Therefore you'd think I wouldn't judge him harshly for not leading them to at least a tie situation against the Jags.  No.  I'm still going to be hard on him because he didn't.  

In his three appearance at the plate he's:

thrown five pics;

got concussed: not necessarily his fault, but a little;

and inspired and showed utterly nothing in Jacksonville.

typing this for the first time...he sucks and I'll continue to think so until he proves otherwise.

that said and hindsight being delightfully 20/20 I would have taken any other drafted or undrafted 2017 rookie qb in those scenarios other than him.  Even an injury handed Chad Kelly.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts