The Key to any good offense

Buffalo716

So I have had a few days to think the Daboll hire over. A lot of people are really high on the Erhardt/ Perkins connections 

It is a very QB centric system which allows for simple verbiage and effective game planning on a week to week basis

Which leads me to what really makes an offense run like a well oiled machine ...

Football is over 100 years old... everybody essentially runs the same plays. What separates good teams from bad teams is the amount of concepts you put in over a season.

A bad team will stay the same offense all season. They will have the same tendencies and run the same concepts and become predictable.

A good team will add new concepts to their playbook weekly which allows for more flexibility. They don't have as many tendencies and they are harder to gameplan for

Being predictable is a death blow to NFL offenses.  

If Daboll can maximaize his week to week gameplanning around concepts that the opponents struggle with i can see a sleeper offense next year that surprises some people 

Originally I was on the fence with the hire but the more I dissect it the more I'm on board 

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So I have had a few days to think the Daboll hire over. A lot of people are really high on the Erhardt/ Perkins connections 

It is a very QB centric system which allows for simple verbiage and effective game planning on a week to week basis

Which leads me to what really makes an offense run like a well oiled machine ...

Football is over 100 years old... everybody essentially runs the same plays. What separates good teams from bad teams is the amount of concepts you put in over a season.

A bad team will stay the same offense all season. They will have the same tendencies and run the same concepts and become predictable.

A good team will add new concepts to their playbook weekly which allows for more flexibility. They don't have as many tendencies and they are harder to gameplan for

If Daboll can maximaize his week to week gameplanning around concepts that the opponents struggle with i can see a sleeper offense next year that surprises some people 

Originally I was on the fence with the hire but the more I dissect it the more I'm on board 

Go Bills

Goes hand in hand with an ability to make good half time adjustments. Something I think a roster full of smart players and innovative coaching can give you in my humble opinion.

...New concepts...

...draw em up in the dirt If you have to...

...I like it...

On 1/18/2018 at 11:47 PM, Figster said:

Goes hand in hand with an ability to make good half time adjustments. Something I think a roster full of smart players and innovative coaching can give you in my humble opinion.

...New concepts...

...draw em up in the dirt If you have to...

...I like it...

Halftime adjustments are great.

But also Over the years I have learned from some very good coaches that why even wait till halftime to adjust? The best coaches adapt drive by drive and are making adjustments well before half if things arent clicking

The best coaches aren't 1 step ahead ... they are 4

If you see something that you think you can take advantage, you adjust and pounce asap 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the key is designing and calling plays that take advantage of your players and the matchup on the other side.   Plus if your choice is run first offense than you must incorporate play action pass and motion to keep the defense off balance.  Seems obvious but something that seems to have been lacking in the Bills,offense for years

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Go Bills

Don't teams have a playbook with at least hundreds of plays?  Why would they need to add to that every week?  Isn't the key to a good game selecting the right plays for the team being faced and executing?

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Don't teams have a playbook with at least hundreds of plays?  Why would they need to add to that every week?  Isn't the key to a good game selecting the right plays for the team being faced and executing?

Of course every team has hundreds of plays. But like I said earlier pretty much everybody runs the same plays

Football is over 100 years old, pretty much everybody runs the same stuff . You put in your basic offense in the offseason, mini camp , OTAs and Training camp

but when the season rolls around good teams implement packages on a week to week basis. These packages are usually a few concepts that the opponent struggles with and are not in your playbook

If you see an opponent struggles against sail concepts and it's not part of your playbook, you insert a few sail concepts for the game

Maximizing a week to week gameplan is key to any good offense, and adapting through the season is critical 

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Go Bills

I think with this offense the more talent you add to the offense the better it will operate. 

I know when you add talent to any offense it will improve, but it seems like you could run a hurry up or move guys around to take advantage of a weakness that a defense has. 

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think with this offense the more talent you add to the offense the better it will operate. 

I know when you add talent to any offense it will improve, but it seems like you could run a hurry up or move guys around to take advantage of a weakness that a defense has. 

The system is designed perfectly for a hurry up offense. 

You just need the General to operate it