Confirmed: Concussions don't cause CTE

Mr. WEO

13 minutes ago, mattynh said:

some people dont get it though no matter how much their head is beaten right?  All we need is a test to filter out those who will get CTE and those who wont.  The ones who wont can play football and we can put all the rules back in and go back to enjoying people get bashed apart?

They can’t predict who is more likely of a pool of athletes eligible to play pro football, and they can’t tell what a “final straw” hit will be.

i have read that an NFL offensive lineman takes thousands of possible concussion inducing blows to the head during his life of football.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Same effect as boxing has punch-drunkeness

but football is too pure and holy to let itself see it’s the same as boxing destruction 

That's not the reason why boxing has taken a little fall.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

How is it boxers and mma fighters don’t all have cte or go crazy in their 20s

It's not the same type of impact.  

Football is body hitting body at high speeds.  You can go from running 15-20 mph and then come to a complete stop getting hit....that's what causes the brain to move a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's not the same type of impact.  

Football is body hitting body at high speeds.  You can go from running 15-20 mph and then come to a complete stop getting hit....that's what causes the brain to move a lot.

How do you explain CTE in WWE?

In a related matter, I find this to be of interest.

Waiting until high school to play tackle football has not held back some of the greatest players in NFL history. We assembled the Flag Football Under 14 All-Time Greatest Team, composed entirely of players who did not start tackle football until high school, to illustrate that it is better to wait.

Flag Football U14 All Time Team

6 hours ago, OJABBA said:

What a surprise that they have a finding that gives the NFL an out. Now the league can always claim that CTE was a result of a lifetime of hits, and not necessarily just the hits during a player's NFL career.

The NFL represents all of football.

This is bad news for them. They've tried to change rules to limit concussions, but this study essentially says that it doesn't matter what they do, CTE is going to be a result of playing football long enough. 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And your headline is really misleading. This study doesn't show that it's "Confirmed Concussions don't cause CTE." Concussions do. But so do even lesser impacts, if repeated.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  Nothing in this article or study confirms concussions dont cause CTE.  .  But I read nothing in this article that said Concussions do not contribute to brain trauma.

Thread title should be:  Confirmed:  CTE can be caused by any head trauma, not just concussions.

It's the first quote from the lead author, in fact.

"Now we have both the scientific proof, the pathologies to support it, and all the evidence to show that concussion is not linked to long-term neurological disease," said Dr. Lee Goldstein, one of the authors on the study, published in the journal Brain.

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Huh?

The article says that repeated blows to the head. Which is something we already knew. It’s been suspected for a while that this may be just as bad or worse for guys who play on the lines. 

Concussions are not “THE CAUSE” but they certainly exacerbate the situation. It’s actually worse for the NFL. “Hey guys, those big knock out hits aren’t really where this all starts. It’s the small pops, blocking, tackling, and going to the ground, etc. That’s really where this starts! Just the entire concept of football.” 

Its really odd that you came away away with something positive-ish for the league win this article. It’s not very good for the sport. 

What you all seem to forget is that the league was accused of hiding evidence that concussions caused these neurological diseases later in life for players.  They settled a billion dollar suit over it.  This was all done before experts agreed that it is an accumulation of repetitive blows of any lesser magnitude that cause CTE. 

So, essentially, what the NFL was accused of hiding (very specifically it was the evidence that may have linked concussions to brain injury) turns out not to be the cause of brain disease after all. 

So now claiming that "hits cause CTE" evidence will be bad for the NFL is nonsense.  There is no football without a million hits a year.  That may not be good for all of football at every level (particularly youth football), but this is certainly not bad news for the NFL over any other level of play.

6 hours ago, OJABBA said:

What a surprise that they have a finding that gives the NFL an out. Now the league can always claim that CTE was a result of a lifetime of hits, and not necessarily just the hits during a player's NFL career.

Because this is exactly the current scientific explanation of the cause of the disease.  So of course that is what they will truthfully claim.  Hence, this is a good report for the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

some people dont get it though no matter how much their head is beaten right?  All we need is a test to filter out those who will get CTE and those who wont.  The ones who wont can play football and we can put all the rules back in and go back to enjoying people get bashed apart?

Unfortunately the research into this is still so relatively new that we can't really answer that question, especially since we also can't study this until after the person dies. I don't think we really have an idea of how common CTE is yet due to the challenges in researching it.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

I'm pretty sure that like 99% of the brains they've tested have tested positive for CTE. 

Playing tackle football long enough will give you CTE. The severity of the case can vary, but pretty much every player will get it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm pretty sure that like 99% of the brains they've tested have tested positive for CTE. 

Playing tackle football long enough will give you CTE. The severity of the case can vary, but pretty much every player will get it. 

Exactly.  But CTE is a pathological finding.  A very small number of football players at any level will develop a specific neurological disorder, despite essentially every football brain having the changes associated with CTE.

This is why every current NFL player choses to accept the risk and continue to play.  They understand that there will be very few of them that will end p as the most famous reported cases have.

3 hours ago, GG said:

How do you explain CTE in WWE?

I don't watch WWE but I know guys can be thrown hard on the canvas.  The canvas isn't soft.  I've landed on them pretty hard and it's jarring sometimes.

The GIF is a UFC fight but canvas is the same....it can knock you out.  These WWE guys in rehearsals and training I'm aren't landing gently each time.

2iszdia.gif

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The NFL represents all of football.

This is bad news for them. They've tried to change rules to limit concussions, but this study essentially says that it doesn't matter what they do, CTE is going to be a result of playing football long enough. 

Yeah, that will hurt participation of kids which  might affect their fanbase over time, but the big thing for the NFL is not being held liable . That's what they have been trying to avoid.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

So what is your control group, people that never took a rap on the skull?

so how many people have donated their brain to science who are not seen at-risk just to see if there’s a diff

none?

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Unfortunately the research into this is still so relatively new that we can't really answer that question, especially since we also can't study this until after the person dies. I don't think we really have an idea of how common CTE is yet due to the challenges in researching it.

i wonder if they will ever figure how to test a brain while a person is alive. it's interesting researching symptoms and signs of cte. i was knocked unconscious a couple of times while working for uncle sam. on both occasions the record says several hours, but the second one i have no memory of a couple of days.

back then there was no talk about concussions...period. combined with a few other memorable hits to the noggin from construction and falls, etc. it makes me wonder.

every now and then i get really bad headaches on the left side with a bruised lump feeling behind my left ear so i've always wondered about the subject.

i hope they can find some way of better testing in the future. it also would have been nice if my military hospital records didn't disappear.

Edited by billsredneck1

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

i wonder if they will ever figure how to test a brain while a person is alive. it's interesting researching symptoms and signs of cte. i was knocked unconscious a couple of times while working for uncle sam. on both occasions the record says several hours, but the second one i have no memory of a couple of days.

back then there was no talk about concussions...period. combined with a few other memorable hits to the noggin from construction and falls, etc. it makes me wonder.

every now and then i get really bad headaches on the left side with a bruised lump feeling behind my left ear so i've always wondered about the subject.

i hope they can find some way of better testing in the future. it would also be nice if my military hospital records didn't disappear.

Yup, had few myself.

so imagine this happening about 100 times to you, all part of your football career.

we don’t need to nutcracker the skulls of players to know how risky and stupid playing the game is

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Better yet, NO helmet. You'd see an immediate change back to proper tackling form instead of this BS that passes for defense nowadays.

I have little sympathy for idiots who use their helmets as weapons during a tackle and get themselves injured. Yes, that includes Kevin Everett.

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't watch WWE but I know guys can be thrown hard on the canvas.  The canvas isn't soft.  I've landed on them pretty hard and it's jarring sometimes.

The GIF is a UFC fight but canvas is the same....it can knock you out.  These WWE guys in rehearsals and training I'm aren't landing gently each time.

tumblr_n0nj3i4FWb1rqd0kpo1_400.gif

Footage from other UFC fights. 

MMA-unnecessary-censorship.gif

boxing-kiss-o.gif