Confirmed: Concussions don't cause CTE

Mr. WEO

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It will if the NFL has a very limited talent pool of athletes to pull from.

I get that but I don't think the players that are natural talents will be stopped from playing. Their parents will see that they are heads and shoulders better and let them play. I think it will be the periphery of players who aren't quite built to go the distance that may be somewhat effected. There money, BIG money at stake. There will always be big time athletes that will risk their health for the benjamins. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They didn't hide THIS info from their players.  As you said, they hid or mistreated concussions, which this paper concludes are not the cause of CTE.

So where is the liability?

I think the argument that the Dr who originally brought up linking concussions to CTE said that traumatic brain injury was "often" a precursor to CTE. I don't believe that it was just concussions that the NFL was in trouble for. It was traumatic brain injuries, concussion is just 1 type of traumatic brain injury. We're focusing on only 1 type of brain injury. And the NFL hid the effects of repeated traumatic brain injuries (which can include but not limited to only concussions).

please reference: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/study-finds-evidence-of-brain-injury-in-living-nfl-veterans/

https://www.spinalcord.com/types-of-traumatic-brain-injury

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/cte-concussion-repeated-hits-study/index.html

Not sure what this means for the NFL.  It confirms what has already been speculated--it's not about the known events (concussions), it's an accumulation of hits, starting in youth.

While it may further give pause to parents considering tackle football for their kids, it should help insulate the NFL from claims that NFL football caused any player's CTE type disease.

I thought this was always known? Haven't experts been saying for a while that positions like O-line & D-linemen are most at risk since they take direct smaller hits to the head on every single play? Concussions just contribute to damage already being done over & over & over from every hit throughout the game/season.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/cte-concussion-repeated-hits-study/index.html

Not sure what this means for the NFL.  It confirms what has already been speculated--it's not about the known events (concussions), it's an accumulation of hits, starting in youth.

While it may further give pause to parents considering tackle football for their kids, it should help insulate the NFL from claims that NFL football caused any player's CTE type disease.

Toxic masculinity, the answer to all things :rolleyes:

This is terrible news.  My 14 year old son has played since 3rd grade up and including his freshman year of HS.  I won't let him play next year.  I was a bit undecided since he has never had any significant blows to the head.  We live in PNW where the players just aren't that good nor that big.  So I wasn't too worried but now I'm pulling him out. 

He doesn't need sports to succeed in life. He's smart and will go to college.

There are already some High Schools across the country that ended their football programs.  I suspect we will see that number increase significantly in affluent neighborhoods.  Parents just are not going to take that risk.  Switching to other sports may be just as risky as head blows can happen in all sports but there is no doubt the frequency is higher in football.  Sadly in less affluent neighborhoods sports still is a way out for the kids.  It doesn't mean the parents don't care any less about their kids. It is about opportunity and the best way to escape poverty for some of these kids.  The life lessons of being on a team and competing can be learned elsewhere.

They didn't hide THIS info from their players.  As you said, they hid or mistreated concussions, which this paper concludes are not the cause of CTE.

So where is the liability?

Weo weo weo... Offering alternate facts? It was hidden, and when confronted it was denied for quite some time. The NFL still has a hand  in all this.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

I have received a lot in fact. Mostly from working but also from plain just bumping my head due to poor eyesight.

Soccer has a lot head shots - all that hitting ball with head cannot be good for you.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Well, I've been saying all along and had every !@#$ here who thinks that are a !@#$ing doctor tell me I've been wrong. And now I wonder where they're at?  Sure there's a lot more information that needs to be collected but on something like this where everybody quickly wants to scream something about something just because Will Smith did something...

26copypaste first caught my attention here when he replied that I am an idiot for contesting inconclusive science, for example.

But it's okay, I'll allow you all the kiss my ring and beg for apology

Concussions from CTE and global warming. Boy I sure do love fairy tales.

lets brain storm.

CTE is caused be repetitive and repeated hits to the head and or jarring hits to body which all cause the brain to rattle inside the skull since it floats in a sea of fluid like an unborn child. Unlike the unborn child hitting soft tissue and skin bulging out the football player or other sports players brains rattles off the hard as rock boney structure called the skull. This causes damage to the brain and is highly suspected and many experts agree causes CTE.

Concussions are sudden impacts that cause the brain to rattle inside the skull hitting the inside of the skull like a super ball thrown down and under a chair rattling up and down many times in short period causing trauma to brain, black outs, loss of function, and coma like states, for varying time frames. Sometimes immediate death although rare.

So yeah I am sure CTE is not at all related to concussions.

Are you crazy? Have you been subject to forces that cause CTE?

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

My dad used to hit me on the back of my head with his wedding ring hand and tell me he was knocking sense into me....i fooled him though....

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

lets brain storm.

CTE is caused be repetitive and repeated hits to the head and or jarring hits to body which all cause the brain to rattle inside the skull since it floats in a sea of fluid like an unborn child. Unlike the unborn child hitting soft tissue and skin bulging out the football player or other sports players brains rattles off the hard as rock boney structure called the skull. This causes damage to the brain and is highly suspected and many experts agree causes CTE.

Concussions are sudden impacts that cause the brain to rattle inside the skull hitting the inside of the skull like a super ball thrown down and under a chair rattling up and down many times in short period causing trauma to brain, black outs, loss of function, and coma like states, for varying time frames. Sometimes immediate death although rare.

So yeah I am sure CTE is not at all related to concussions.

Are you crazy? Have you been subject to forces that cause CTE?

Is it just concussions?  Is it just tapping my head?  If I just bump my head on the god damn spice door being open above the store on more !@#$ing time... Am I getting CTE?

It's not just concussions that *could* be causing CTE.  And it's not just the NFL. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And the wrestling confirmed it?

Well played!  I was expecting a different route for a punchline. Turned out better than I thought!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other than possibly affecting the future number of players who play in college, this is the news the NFL has been waiting for.

At this stage of the game it's like anything else, i.e. cigarettes, heroin, booze, your commute to work in the morning. There's data out there, and it's readily accessible now a days that these things pose certain risks. Some more some than others of course. It's about risk versus reward. With everything that has been laid out, if you're in that .1% that can make a living by playing in the NFL are you willing to take that risk? 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Weo weo weo... Offering alternate facts? It was hidden, and when confronted it was denied for quite some time. The NFL still has a hand  in all this.

What did the NFL hide?  The fact that concussions DO NOT cause CTE??

This study is another that clearly shows CTE begins well before any player gets to the NFL, so it is impossible to single out the NFL as culpable.  

4 hours ago, musichunch said:

Nice spin. This is worse for the NFL. It's not just concussions, but hits in general. This sport is toast. Sorry Mr. WEO. Your NFL paychecks will come to an end soon. 

Sometimes I just like watching someone dive into the pool that has no water in it......

It's like a car accident when I see posts like this

Edited by Mr. WEO

46 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Is it just concussions?  Is it just tapping my head?  If I just bump my head on the god damn spice door being open above the store on more !@#$ing time... Am I getting CTE?

It's not just concussions that *could* be causing CTE.  And it's not just the NFL. 

Take a rubber mallet and medium forcefully hit your head repeatedly for 2 hrs a day for 20 years and you will get CTE.

No one says other things don't cause CTE. Anyone with a working brain knows other sports also cause CTE.

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Take a rubber mallet and medium forcefully hit your head repeatedly for 2 hrs a day for 20 years and you will get CTE.

No one says other things don't cause CTE. Anyone with a working brain knows other sports also cause CTE.

Would I also get that hitting my head 2 dozen day a week as an infant falling as I walk?  Or in school where I play at recess?

How frequent is CTE?  Control groups are needed