Confirmed: Concussions don't cause CTE

Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I've said this before; take off the helmets and pads.

Give them minimal protection and those things they wore in the 1950s that look  like WWII tank crew helmets.

If a player feels naked and vulnerable on the field, he is not going to fly around and use his head and body as a weapon.  Everyone's technique would change dramatically b/c it would have to.

Rugby seems just as fundamentally violent a game, but they have no padding, no helmets, and I don't believe are getting concussions and head shots all the time.  

Seems there is a lesson learned there.

Shazier would still be playing if he had not worn a helmet...he would not have tackled head down.

That would be great until the first death occurs by the third week of the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

The old man on the Benny Hill show must have had it, the Three stooges would also be candidates

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

B/C all of the accumulated head hits are still attributable to football; the fact that a % of them are received in the NFL doesn't eliminate the NFL's culpability here.  I doubt most kids are getting their bells rung at low levels of football...

High school, yes.  College, yes.  NFL?  YES!  

And all the hits cause CTE.  It's possible this could lessen the NFL's culpability but it certainly doesn't eliminate it.

They are looking (I would presume) for medical evidence to show that CTE is congenital or brought about through chemical processes or anything that has nothing to do with head shots received playing football.

No they aren't.

Anyway, this study was done on teen aged athletes brains.  The very clear conclusion is that CTE is acquired well before players reach the NFL.  That's exactly what the NFL wants to hear.  No plaintiff can argue factually that the NFL "caused" their injury/disease when every expert in this field will testify that the damage was already done.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Well, I've been saying all along and had every !@#$ here who thinks that are a !@#$ing doctor tell me I've been wrong. And now I wonder where they're at?  Sure there's a lot more information that needs to be collected but on something like this where everybody quickly wants to scream something about something just because Will Smith did something...

26copypaste first caught my attention here when he replied that I am an idiot for contesting inconclusive science, for example.

But it's okay, I'll allow you all the kiss my ring and beg for apology

Concussions from CTE and global warming. Boy I sure do love fairy tales.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No they aren't.

Anyway, this study was done on teen aged athletes brains.  The very clear conclusion is that CTE is acquired well before players reach the NFL.  That's exactly what the NFL wants to hear.  No plaintiff can argue factually that the NFL "caused" their injury/disease when every expert in this field will testify that the damage was already done.

What this mean just some idiot is just going to try to do class action lawsuits against Independent School Districts and think that they're going to do something great by doing so. The problem is, quite large, in that school systems will either cower to the pressure of such a lawsuit or fight them and look like the bad guy. 

But this whole thing is just ridiculous and I hold Will Smith 100% responsible. Not because the movie concussion. But for getting jiggy with it. He needs to be withheld responsible for that someway somehow. 

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

What this mean just some idiot is just going to try to do class action lawsuits against Independent School Districts and think that they're going to do something great by doing so. The problem is, quite large, in that school systems will either cower to the pressure of such a lawsuit or fight them and look like the bad guy. 

But this whole thing is just ridiculous and I hold Will Smith 100% responsible. Not because the movie concussion. But for getting jiggy with it. He needs to be withheld responsible for that someway somehow. 

Bad reviews are our only recourse for Will Smith's awfulness.

Interestingly, Pop Warner settled a suit for a kid's suicide a few years ago.  An avalanche of suits didn't follow.

The problem with such suits is that the school district would have to be found culpable and negligent.  Nowadays, I don't know how that's possible, as every kid's sport has to have a parent's waiver signed assuming the risk on behalf of their child.  Maybe the parents should be sued by the children if they sign the waiver, knowing the risks....

52 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

This whole thing is dumb, everyone knew/knows blows to the head can cause issues down the line. These are professional athletes that know this is a dangerous sport, and even so, decided to play.  Because MONEY TALKS!!!  Maybe this make more sense for the lower ranks, and deciding for your kid, but football will continue to make money and if that happens, people will continue to aspire to be NFL players.  Tired of all this CTE talk and how it will be the downfall of the NFL.  It wont. 

It will if the NFL has a very limited talent pool of athletes to pull from.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bad reviews are our only recourse for Will Smith's awfulness.

Interestingly, Pop Warner settled a suit for a kid's suicide a few years ago.  An avalanche of suits didn't follow.

The problem with such suits is that the school district would have to be found culpable and negligent.  Nowadays, I don't know how that's possible, as every kid's sport has to have a parent's waiver signed assuming the risk on behalf of their child.  Maybe the parents should be sued by the children if they sign the waiver, knowing the risks....

The number 2 cause of deaths for kids 6-12 if I remember correctly is suicide. 

Nothing else to add about that... Just wanted to make sure that if anyone was having a good day. ... Now they're not.

Anyway, any sport I I played we always ended up having to sign waivers.  From track and soccer (yes, at one time I was confused about my sexual identity) to wrestling and football there were phone books of forms. 

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The number 2 cause of deaths for kids 6-12 if I remember correctly is suicide. 

Nothing else to add about that... Just wanted to make sure that if anyone was having a good day. ... Now they're not.

Anyway, any sport I I played we always ended up having to sign waivers.  From track and soccer (yes, at one time I was confused about my sexual identity) to wrestling and football there were phone books of forms. 

And the wrestling confirmed it?

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember back in the day before concussions were “a thing” quite literally regaining consciousness on the playing (lacrosse) field.  I’d just get up and keep playing.  

Now, one of my players takes even a little hit, and I’m almost certain to lose him for the rest of the game.  Probably the next game too.  I’m all about safety, but I think things have gotten a little carried away.

If everyone had soft helmets and pads there would be far less head injuries. There are some pretty cool helmets out these days that have a shell that absorbs impact and has more give. Studies have shown that these helmets reduce the force on the head.

But it won't get better until everyone changes to these types of helmets. Pads too should be of similar material so they are not as easily used as weapons.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And the wrestling confirmed it?

It usually does.  The first time you get high-crotched or butt dragged around the room typically lets a guy know where he stands on the whole Kinsey Scale, from what I've heard.  And those are just beginner moves in a sport where you are awarded points for how much of your thumb you jam in another man's rectum (1 knuckle 1 point, 2 knuckles 2 points).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Better yet, NO helmet. You'd see an immediate change back to proper tackling form instead of this BS that passes for defense nowadays.

Actually, I have been telling friends something similar for years.  Go back to the helmets without a face mask and make the pads smaller.  It will fundamentally change the game but players won't be able to use there bodies like missiles anymore and you won't see the giant  hits that cause injury.  I know it is dramatic but it would probably solve this problem.