Confirmed: Concussions don't cause CTE

Mr. WEO

17 hours ago, Doc said:

No, there won't be any future litigation for the NFL.  They already settled the concussion issue with the players (hastily, because they too believed that concussions led to brain damage, as evidenced by them actively hiding/burying concussion data) and it's not the NFL's fault kids and/or their parents got them into football. 

Agreed about the parental responsibility, particularly now that the effects are well known.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• 1 month later...

PITTSBURGH — In this city with a deep and proud relationship with football, a custody dispute has pushed the debate about the sport’s safety into a new arena: family court.

A father, John Orsini, has gone to court to prevent the youngest of his three sons from playing high school football because, he said, scientific studies have revealed the perils of repeated blows to the head — especially for an athlete, like his son, who has a history of concussions. The boy’s mother, Mr. Orsini’s ex-wife, believes he should be allowed to continue playing because he understands the risks.

“You always heard it sometimes, when one parent would say I don’t want him doing that because he might get hurt,” said Allan E. Mayefsky, a leading divorce lawyer and the former president of the New York chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. “Usually, we thought the parent was just overprotective. Now, it’s more of a real medical issue.”  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/sports/football/concussions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

On 1/18/2018 at 2:40 PM, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  How many blows to the head does the average person receive in a lifetime, not related to playing football?

There have been multiple threads with this info - other sports, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles, even laborers wear helmets to prevent damage not just from items falling but from bumping into beams, etc.  I have not played football since high school (medical doctor made false diagnosis preventing me from playing) but have had plenty of blows some more serious than others.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:43 PM, Fadingpain said:

I've said this before; take off the helmets and pads.

Give them minimal protection and those things they wore in the 1950s that look  like WWII tank crew helmets.

If a player feels naked and vulnerable on the field, he is not going to fly around and use his head and body as a weapon.  Everyone's technique would change dramatically b/c it would have to.

Rugby seems just as fundamentally violent a game, but they have no padding, no helmets, and I don't believe are getting concussions and head shots all the time.  

Seems there is a lesson learned there.

Shazier would still be playing if he had not worn a helmet...he would not have tackled head down.

Rugby is as bad or worse.

There are articles everywhere about the dangers of rugby, the high amount of paralysis/spinal injuries etc

It's just not as known in the US because it's not a national sport.

Anyway, I don't give a crap about the CTE/protecting the players, or them whining about not having good pensions or lifetime medical.

They signed up for a violent sport to make millions a year.

That's the risk.

Mike Ditka said it a couple of years back, that "these guys make tens of millions of dollars, injuries are a risk of the job, if you don't wanna risk it, go work at Burger King, nobody is stopping you"

He's a hundred percent right.

The only reason the NFL wants to "protect" these guys is that they don't want their star players on the DL because it costs them money when Brady and other stars are out.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, Fadingpain said:

They are looking (I would presume) for medical evidence to show that CTE is congenital or brought about through chemical processes or anything that has nothing to do with head shots received playing football.

I have been wondering if it is in at least part congenital.  Some people are more prone to it than others it seems.  Some players get it really bad early in life like Hernandez and Seau . Other guys play for years and years and seem to be not nearly as affected if at all. Roger Staubach retired because he had several concussions.  He went on to a very successful real estate career (still going on).