The Teddy Bridgewater Thread

Rigotz

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How was he trending upwards?  I mean, could he be this great reader of defenses and accurate passer...and dropped from his second year output?

Stats, in the end, are meaningful.  You can't ascribe all sorts of powers and gifted ability to a player, yet, over two seasons, not be able to point to where he produced the logical results expected from such talent.

Teddy is low wattage at QB. 

There is no practical way for any team doctor to really know if his knee is capable of withstanding full contact play.  His was a freak injury that HAD to imply he had significant ligamentous instability at base.  It was a noncontact injury.  His femur slid off his tibia and nearly severed his popliteal artery, no?

Aug. 30  Less than a half hour into practice, Bridgewater collapses on the field during a routine dropback. Players reported Bridgewater grabbing his left knee and screaming. Trainers immediately jump into action. An ambulance arrives at Winter Park and takes Bridgewater to the hospital.

Vikings officials announce that Bridgewater will definitely miss the 2016 season, and his future beyond that is in doubt. An MRI shows a complete ACL tear and other structural damage, although Bridgewater avoids nerve or arterial damage, a major positive that looked minor in the light at that time.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/11/08/teddy-bridgewater-recovery-timeline/

21 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I'm surprised to see fans clamoring for Alex Smith when there's a 25 year old QB out there who threw for 3,000 yards and made the pro bowl within his first two seasons.

Oh, and if his contract isn't tolled, he doesn't cost us the 2nd round or 3rd round pick that we would have to give up for Alex Smith.

Higher upside... we get to keep ALL of our picks ....why is nobody talking about Teddy Bridgewater?

Someone on these 6 pages must have mentioned this, but how is Teddy any better than Tyrod? Completion % is nearly the same. TT averages more TDs and fewer INTs each season and has a higher QB rating. I'm comparing TT's last 3 years to TB's 2 years. Oh yeah, there's that injury thing too.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone looking at this kid will no doubt have a ton of medical personnel evaluate him.  And based on that they'll make the call.  I suspect some will steer clear and some won't.  Medical professionals can and oftentimes do have different opinions. While I teach anatomy I work in reproductive medicine and we see patients seeking second opinions daily.  What is perplexing is that some here argue with folks that have actual relevant experience as PRs, orthopods, etc.

Hope it works out for the kid.  Personally I'd sign Cousins assuming he's not tagged and becdone with it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is no practical way for any team doctor to really know if his knee is capable of withstanding full contact play.  His was a freak injury that HAD to imply he had significant ligamentous instability at base.  It was a noncontact injury.  His femur slid off his tibia and nearly severed his popliteal artery, no?

Yes he planted and twisted, noncontact.

The anatomical facts are that at least one collateral ligament (MCL and or LCL) must be torn, as well as at least one (usually both) cruciates (ACL and or PCL)

It is rare to only tear one of the cruciates, so it seems he got lucky.

The knee capsule is also ruptured in some form 100% of the time.

These are the indisputable anatomical facts of his injury.

-at least one cruciates (he tore his ACL)

-at least one collateral (they didn't specify)

-some form of joint capsule rupture (this is probably the worst part of it)

There is basically less than a 20% chance any athlete with this injury can return to full competition.

As far as anybody knew he had a healthy knee prior to the injury.

I think you are stating that I'm implying he wasn't healthy before the injury.

I'm saying that even if he was cleared by Minnesota MDS, he still hasn't had any NFL game contact, so assuming he is healthy enough to sign and bet a season on is reckless or uninformed at best.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/vikings-bridgewater-knee-surgery/

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has undergone surgery on his severely injured left knee, the first step toward what will undoubtedly be a long, arduous recovery.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer confirmed the operation took place Thursday, nine days after Bridgewater went down in practice while dropping back to pass during a routine non-contact drill.

Zimmer said he spoke to Bridgewater’s surgeon after the procedure and learned no major problems were encountered beyond the knee dislocation and complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The Vikings said after the injury that Bridgewater also suffered other significant damage.

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes he planted and twisted, noncontact.

The anatomical facts are that at least one collateral ligament (MCL and or LCL) must be torn, as well as at least one (usually both) cruciates (ACL and or PCL)

It is rare to only tear one of the cruciates, so it seems he got lucky.

The knee capsule is also ruptured in some form 100% of the time.

These are the indisputable anatomical facts of his injury.

-at least one cruciates (he tore his ACL)

-at least one collateral (they didn't specify)

-some form of joint capsule rupture (this is probably the worst part of it)

There is basically less than a 20% chance any athlete with this injury can return to full competition.

As far as anybody knew he had a healthy knee prior to the injury.

I think you are stating that I'm implying he wasn't healthy before the injury.

I'm saying that even if he was cleared by Minnesota MDS, he still hasn't had any NFL game contact, so assuming he is healthy enough to sign and bet a season on is reckless or uninformed at best.

Good post.

What line of field do you work in. Do you specialize in injuries, and in particular the knee?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Good post.

What line of field do you work in. Do you specialize in injuries, and in particular the knee?

Physical therapist, specialize in sports and traumatic orthopedic injuries.

Treated from high school up through professional level athletes in every sport.

(Including a former Globetrotter, though I can't give names for any legally)

Worked with many high end surgeons, David Altchek at HSS being probably the most well known.

My former classmate was in the rehab team for the USC Trojans for a couple of years.

I asked her about Bridgewater, she laughed and said anybody who thinks he isn't a massive risk is fooling themselves.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/vikings-bridgewater-knee-surgery/

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has undergone surgery on his severely injured left knee, the first step toward what will undoubtedly be a long, arduous recovery.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer confirmed the operation took place Thursday, nine days after Bridgewater went down in practice while dropping back to pass during a routine non-contact drill.

Zimmer said he spoke to Bridgewater’s surgeon after the procedure and learned no major problems were encountered beyond the knee dislocation and complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The Vikings said after the injury that Bridgewater also suffered other significant damage.

Sigh.

You're either very persistent or refuse to inform yourself.

The knee dislocation was the major problem.

He was saying there wasn't anything arterial or Neuro most likely.

His statement is akin to saying :

-there was no major damage other than the gunshot to the chest

-there was no major damage other than the roof collapsing on the house

-there was no major damage other than the engine exploding in the car

Give it up man.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Worked with many high end surgeons, David Altchek at HSS being probably the most well known.

My former classmate was in the rehab team for the USC Trojans for a couple of years.

I asked her about Bridgewater, she laughed and said anybody who thinks he isn't a massive risk is fooling themselves.

Awesome man, thanks for sharing

Edited by billsfan11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Sigh.

You're either very persistent or refuse to inform yourself.

The knee dislocation was the major problem.

He was saying there wasn't anything arterial or Neuro most likely.

His statement is akin to saying :

-there was no major damage other than the gunshot to the chest

-there was no major damage other than the roof collapsing on the house

-there was no major damage other than the engine exploding in the car

Give it up man.

:lol: Nice try it does not say most likely.   More sweeping generalizations from afar despite a quote from the doctor who performed the surgery.  

I'm sure you would have predicted that Jaylon Smith would not recover to play in the NFL again and he suffered nerve damage.  Keep typing.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: Nice try it does not say most likely.   More sweeping generalizations from afar despite a quote from the doctor who performed the surgery.  

I'm sure you would have predicted that Jaylon Smith would not recover to play in the NFL again and he suffered nerve damage.  Keep typing.

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that usually there is Neuro or arterial damage, so him saying nothing else major is most likely in reference to those things being okay.

Learn to read.

And yes, that's right, based on Smith's injury, he had a very small chance to ever play again.

Just like Teddy's injury, there is less than a 20% chance to return to sport, and even then, a high risk for that knee to collapse.

My professional experience combined with historical data for the injury Teddy sustained is why I have stated that he is a massive risk and  not worth betting on.

Your responses are dismissive of statistical historical evidence related to his injury and the informed professional opinion of myself and a couple others.

Go back to your Google degree and whatever rock you are hiding your head under to ignore facts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that usually there is Neuro or arterial damage, so him saying nothing else major is most likely in reference to those things being okay.

Learn to read.

And yes, that's right, based on Smith's injury, he had a very small chance to ever play again.

Just like Teddy's injury, there is less than a 20% chance to return to sport, and even then, a high risk for that knee to collapse.

My professional experience combined with historical data for the injury Teddy sustained is why I have stated that he is a massive risk and  not worth betting on.

Your responses are dismissive of statistical historical evidence related to his injury and the informed professional opinion of myself and a couple others.

Go back to your Google degree and whatever rock you are hiding your head under to ignore facts.

Who cares about what usually is the case. In his specific case that did not happen and the fact is that both have returned to play. Every case is different.  Marcus Lattimore was forced to retire from his devastating knee injury while these two are back.  Nice to know your opinion from afar. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who cares about what usually is the case. In his specific case that did not happen and the fact is that both have returned to play. Every case is different.  Marcus Lattimore was forced to retire from his devastating knee injury while these two are back.  Nice to know your opinion from afar. Thanks.

I don't know that I'd call 2 passes for 0 yards and an INT returning to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't know that I'd call 2 passes for 0 yards and an INT returning to play.

It is what it is to this point.  The point remains he returned from a serious knee injury to the 53 man roster.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Over 80% never return to sport.

That's a fact.

I've seen clinical presentation of this, as well as many other injuries in high level athletes, whom I've rehabilitated myself.

Historical data and my own personal experience are what backs my opinion.

Yes, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Some opinions are better informed and more likely than others 

In this case, yours has zero evidence behind it that Teddy can return to his PLOF and mountains of history to say he cannot.

Your only leg to stand on (pun intended) is shaky and unsupported.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Over 80% never return to sport.

That's a fact.

I've seen clinical presentation of this, as well as many other injuries in high level athletes, whom I've rehabilitated myself.

Historical data and my own personal experience are what backs my opinion.

Yes, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Some opinions are better informed and more likely than others 

In this case, yours has zero evidence behind it that Teddy can return to his PLOF and mountains of history to say he cannot.

Your only leg to stand on (pun intended) is shaky and unsupported.

Then send out your opinion to the 32 NFL teams to save them from themselves. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then send out your opinion to the 32 NFL teams to save them from themselves. 

I never said somebody wasn't going to take a huge risk on him.

They might.

This entire discussion is whether the bills should.

My entire argument with you is that you are shrugging off the injury and acting like he's gonna be 100% ready to rock minimal risk.

We have a coach and gm who like healthy, low risk players (see: Sammy trade)

My opinion is, based on his injury, we shouldn't go for him, as he is a massive injury risk, as well as a massive risk to not even return to the average at best form he displayed pre injury.

Yet you continue to act like he's good to go, no problems, and refuse to acknowledge not only the severity of the injury, but also the factual evidence of the history of these injuries in others.