The MMQB: Dareus Says Marrone is a Changed Man

40 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

I find it concerning that McDermott/Beane decided to basically give Dareus away without even trying to work with him.

He's still very young and one of the most talented defensive tackles in the league. Just stupid IMO.

You're kidding, right?  They gave him numerous chances and he showed he wasn't going to change. 

Well I personally don't know first hand how Doug Marrone was with the One Bills staffers. But I do recall reports that he was controlling and tried to change things and meddle with areas of the team operation that were staffed by experienced entrenched long term employees and that they didn't like it one bit.

Next the staff  had to tolerate Rex Ryan who I guess they saw as acting foolish not being very smart or hard working.  So it seems plain they didn't like Rex Ryan any better.

I think Coach McDermott has not had the problem at all. I haven't heard a single word if it. So he is doing good on that count.

But that could be because he fired most of them as quickly as he could. 

Bills must lead the league in employees who leave then decide to not be selfish, fat/lazy, or miserable pricks anymore

Edited by stevewin

7 hours ago, transient said:

Maybe Marrone is a lover of stupid hats.

Image result for marcell dareus stupid hat

Don't be hating on the hat.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

One of those games you wished the two teams would lose...

Whenever the Cowgirls play the Dolphins, I almost root for al Qaeda. This AFC Championship game is approaching that level for me.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Know what would make me respect Marrone again? He returns the 4 million he took from the bills. Yes I get it was in his contract, but that Imo was about the most classless thing a guy, let alone a coach, could do

Taking money you or your agent had the foresight to negotiate isn’t classless. Letting the players you coached know that you’re leaving by text, on the other hand...

• Like (+1) 1

Marcell has done an awful lot of talking the past few weeks.  He still seems to lack any type of self awareness, which was a large contributing factor to him being traded.  I have one of those feelings he's going to stick a feather in his cap for his teams success this yr. and get into a total mess of a problem this offseason.  He's a player you have to constantly worry about when he's not aorund the facility, which once again was a major contributing factor in him being moved off of the Bills roster.

12 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I find it concerning that McDermott/Beane decided to basically give Dareus away without even trying to work with him.

He's still very young and one of the most talented defensive tackles in the league. Just stupid IMO.

Not stupid at all. Very smart to dump as much unproductive cap space as they can.

13 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

All they did was try to work with him.  McD had one on one with him; pictures of them on the practice field together, etc.  They gave him discipline which he rejected.

Your comment is a larger reflection on society.  The two things I drill into my kids are that there is a general lack of work ethic in society today, and that there is a lack of personal responsibility; no one wants to take accountability for their actions.  I think Dareus suffers from both.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

Don't quote me, but I think their run D got significantly better.  I don't have stats to back that up; I thought I heard it on ESPN Radio, though.

I can't find anywhere that tracks defensive performance on a week-to-week basis. 

8 hours ago, Estro said:

Marcell has done an awful lot of talking the past few weeks.  He still seems to lack any type of self awareness, which was a large contributing factor to him being traded.  I have one of those feelings he's going to stick a feather in his cap for his teams success this yr. and get into a total mess of a problem this offseason.  He's a player you have to constantly worry about when he's not aorund the facility, which once again was a major contributing factor in him being moved off of the Bills roster.

It was funny to hear him talk about how "they" went back to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers again.  He wasn't even with the team for that first game and the defense gave up far fewer points then. 

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't find anywhere that tracks defensive performance on a week-to-week basis. 

It was funny to hear him talk about how "they" went back to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers again.  He wasn't even with the team for that first game and the defense gave up far fewer points then. 

One area where they have not ranked well is in run defense. Football Outsiders ranks them No. 27, and they are No. 29 in the NFL giving up 4.5 yards per carry. However, it has been a tail of two halves when it comes to the Jaguars run defense. The Jaguars were atrocious against the run to start the season, but their trade for Marcell Dareus during their bye week has been the difference. In seven games since their bye week, the Jaguars are giving up 3.85 yards per carry, and 3.6 yards per carry by running backs.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/12/22/16809844/49ers-jaguars-preview-week-16-marcell-dareus-run-defense

Incidentally - Buffalo's run defense got significantly worse and, in my opinion, Dareus' absence affected the entire front 7's performance.

But ... what's done is done.  He's gone and now they just need to replace him.

Edited by Gugny

52 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I care about one thing: Dareus having the best game of his life this weekend and being literally unblockable.

Agreed

I don't blame Marrone for leaving, working under or with Whaley and Brandon would be a !@#$ing nightmare. If the new owner refused to make changes in the front office and I had a out I would use it to. 

Its funny how all those leaked inside media reports mysteriously all stopped happening when Whaley was fired.