Kiper Mock Draft: Josh Allen #1

The only way the Bills don't take a QB in the first is if all the decent players are already gone and/or they bring in a top FA like Cousins/ Smith. Personally, I would go for the former and trade Taylor, Glenn. Then go DT, WR, OT, OG with the first four picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One could make a case that a respectable DL, an upgrade at WR and OL, and a competent OC give us a couple more wins.

But be at peace, I don't think Daboll came on board to preside over his 4th gig as OC with crap QB.

I remember his Clausen call. I shall be at peace Brother Hapless. But I will blame you for my pain of being unprepared mentally, if they do anything like what he is suggesting.

42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mean drafting the fifth best quarterback probably isn't doing the job either. We lost games because teams ran all over us, we had no sacks, and the QB stinks. So that's what needs to be fixed. 

Agreed about what needs to be fixed.

For me though I have had more than 20 years of the "clever" way the Bills have had of minimizing the importance of the QB spot.

I think if they have to draft the 5th best QB 5 times before they hit on one, then that is what they need to do. This year could be the first time and I would be fine with that. They just have to try,  to make me happy. And they have to keep trying until they are sure they have a decent QB, because of how he IS playing in games.

Instead of the brass INSISTING they KNOW and they were RIGHT about who they picked, even though the pick isn't doing well, because of their special powers which are above those of everyone else, to know how a QB will turn out as a pro. 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

Wow Cleveland expected to bust again at QB while Buffalo expected to not even try for one. SMH, groundhogs day.

Well when it happens so much I guess it is why the so called experts put it in writing for all to see. Allen is talked about by many to bust hard in the NFL from what I have read so being picked first by Cleveland makes it oh so right I guess.

Sadly I can see this happening.

Edited by xRUSHx

48 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Fans will be outraged if we sit there and take a cb and dt at 21/22.

Unless of course we already have a qb by then. I would be truly shocked if they ignore qb this year, and would even not be surprised if they draft 2 qbs.

Even if they’ve addressed QB I think people will be outraged with CB at 21. This team has holes everywhere except the defensive backfield. They can’t squander the 21st pick of the draft there. It has to be front 7 and/or WR in that case. OL is an option as well if they love someone but think that it falls behind front 7 and WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not surprised, Josh Allen has great accuracy on his first read. His accuracy goes down when he is moved off his spot and has to go through other progressions. It is too bad Kiper does not realize you will not see that in senior bowl practice. 

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

I'm not surprised, Josh Allen has great accuracy on his first read. His accuracy goes down when he is moved off his spot and has to go through other progressions. It is too bad Kiper does not realize you will not see that in senior bowl practice. 

Curious what your thoughts were on Wentz in college.  Did he show the ability to do these things at the FCS level?

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I remember his Clausen call. I shall be at peace Brother Hapless. But I will blame you for my pain of being unprepared mentally, if they do anything like what he is suggesting.

Agreed about what needs to be fixed.

For me though I have had more than 20 years of the "clever" way the Bills have had of minimizing the importance of the QB spot.

I think if they have to draft the 5th best QB 5 times before they hit on one, then that is what they need to do. This year could be the first time and I would be fine with that. They just have to try,  to make me happy. And they have to keep trying until they are sure they have a decent QB, because of how he IS playing in games.

Instead of the brass INSISTING they KNOW and they were RIGHT about who they picked, even though the pick isn't doing well, because of their special powers which are above those of everyone else, to know how a QB will turn out as a pro. 

If the Bills draft a DB with their first pick of the first round, I shall shoulder your pain, for it shall be but a drop in the ocean of my own anguish.  McDermott and Mr Beane have shown they can scout for DB talent everywhere.  We need DL and OL and LB.  I know "don't reach" but surely there must be some guys at these positions worth drafting there, late in the 1st.  Or trade down, and double up on the choices!

I agree with you completely that the Bills need to change their historical pattern of QB acquisition, and change it completely, and change it now.  I will not be "hopeful" again until I see this is so.  I will be OK if the Bills draft a QB somewhere in the first 3 rounds, provided he has achieved at least 60% completion during one of his college years AND they acquire a quality veteran free agent from somewhere.   If they pick up a 2nd tier vet like McCarron etc or a high injury risk, they had best trade up for QB.

I think if they don't, it will be because they've sold their soul (and cap space) for Cousins.  But, if Washington franchise tags him, I'm Out; no paying $50M for a QB AND giving up 2 1st round picks.

I cling to hope that Daboll appears to have been a man with options.  He could have stayed at Bama and seen if it's true that Belicheck wanted him back as OC.  He could have stayed at Bama and coached Tua Tagovailoa to prominance and watched his stock rise.  He could have sat still and seen if a team with a QB would give him a call - maybe McDaniels or Patricia would like to give him a shot as OC if they know and respect him.

He's also a man with an expiry date on his shots at OC due to the crappy QB he had in his first 3 shots.  I just can't see him jumping on board with McBeane if they didn't have a plan (or maybe several plans) at QB and he didn't know what it (they) were and approve.

I do think, beyond the top 10 picks, Kiper has some sort of tool that pulls up the most frequent positions a team has chosen and plugs in top draftees playing those positions.  I don't care enough about this theory to do the footwork, but it's a Fact the Bills most frequent picks in the 1st round have been DB and DL, 3 each over the last decade - and they have a habit of not doing what pundits expect them to do based on obvious holes on the team.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Curious what your thoughts were on Wentz in college.  Did he show the ability to do these things at the FCS level?

I thought Wentz looked fantastic. He went through reads and had great accuracy. The only question I had about him was if he would be able to do the same things against higher level competition. 

I had Wentz as a top 10 prospect. I have Allen as a round 3 prospect. Allen might become great with coaching, maybe he will be able to improve his footwork and accuracy in the NFL. I don't like taking two year projects in round one. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Even if they’ve addressed QB I think people will be outraged with CB at 21. This team has holes everywhere except the defensive backfield. They can’t squander the 21st pick of the draft there. It has to be front 7 and/or WR in that case. OL is an option as well if they love someone but think that it falls behind front 7 and WR. 

This.  If there isn't a single DL or OL or WR they think worthy of Pick 21 then trade down and get more picks.

We do have a hole if we don't resign Gaines, but I think they've shown pretty good judgement at picking up DB everywhere.

Just now, billspro said:

I thought Wentz looked fantastic. He went through reads and had great accuracy. The only question I had about him was if he would be able to do the same things against higher level competition. 

I had Wentz as a top 10 prospect. I have Allen as a round 3 prospect. Allen might become great with coaching, maybe he will be able to improve his footwork and accuracy in the NFL. I don't like taking two year projects in round one. 

You seem like a man who knows something.  Who do you like for reads and accuracy in this draft?

Cleveland would draft Allen #1 and then start him right away and watch him flame out.  Kizer is only 1 year older and they are already done with him?  too funny.  both of those guys are projects that should be developing and learning.  yikes.  you do you Cleveland!

Edited by kdiggz

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You seem like a man who knows something.  Who do you like for reads and accuracy in this draft?

Rosen has the best arm in the draft, in my opinion. I still don't think he has the personality of a franchise QB. I expect him to be the next Jay Cutler. 

I like Mayfield and Rudolph for the Bills. Both improved their accuracy a ton in their senior season. 

I like Falk as a mid round back up QB prospect, he reminds me of Mike Glennon. My favorite sleeper prospect is Logan Woodside, I would love to get him late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent. 

1 hour ago, Woodman19 said:

If that went down we would almost certainly trade up to 3/4 with reports that we are high on Darnold.

If we did not do the above I would get a tattoo of the Bills logo on my chest (after I shave) or on my back (after I shave), strip naked and jump off of the top floor of the old Marine Midland Building screaming "what's the frequency, Kenneth?!" all the way down, officially verifying to you all, gentlemen, that this world is most assuredly bonkers and I want no further part of it.

...in short, if Darnold is there after the first two picks...get him.