Jackson, Rudolph or Pass

Rudolph, Jackson or Neither  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I wouldn't take either.  Jackson isn't accurate enough and Rudolph I don't think will adapt mentally to the NFL game.  A month or so ago I read an ESPN scouting thing where two scouts said Rudolph should be at best a day 3 pick.

i don't follow college football that closely but if I'm Beane I am looking for someone who has had experience ina more pro style offense, that has had to make reads.  And I look for accuracy over arm strength if I have to pick one over the other.  TT's issue has been that he is accuracy is questionable, thus he has trouble fitting the ball into tight windows and waits for guys to be wide open.

This is no longer the AFL where you get one on one coverage and the Mad Bomber throws the ball 60 yards downfield.  It's more short to intermediate passing game.  You have to have an arm to make the sideline throws true, but most guys have that.

So so give me a kid like that even if from a small school.  I think the kid from Western KY fits the bill?  I'd also keep working with Peterman.  The Chargers game was a negative of course but continue to coach him up and see what you have.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't follow college football closely but Sal C was talking about him the other day and his concern is he's a below 60% completion percentage in a Bobby Petrino offense.

I don't think Jackson is being considered by the Bills.  Every time Beane talks about what they're looking for in a QB, he just sounds like he wants that traditional pocket passer.  Not that Jackson can't do it but that's not the type of QB he is.

He, much like Allen, played with trash. His completion percentage has risen each year. Jackson has really been a good player from the pocket and has a big arm. The draft breakdown video of him in the college football forum is pretty good. He’s not a guy that just runs around and tries to make plays.

With that being said, I don’t think that he is a guy that would interest Beane. I could see Daboll liking him though. Beane certainly likes Rudolph. They saw him a few times live including the bowl game (which was the best that I saw Rudolph). 

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Just say no to non pocket passers. Been there done that over it.

So you don’t like Baker? He plays out of the pocket WAY more than Jackson. 

22 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just don't believe Rudolph has the arm talent to succeed in Buffalo and having guys like Washington / Ateman / Carson, I'm not sure there's a QB who did less with more than Rudolph.

The kid threw for nearly 14,000 yards, had a career 63% CP, 92 TDS & only 26 Ints & had 9.4 yards per attempt & 157 QBR.  He has also started every game for OSU since his sophomore year.  What more do you want him to do? 

If Rudolph is on the board by the time the Bills pick comes I hope they run to the podium with his name on the card. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He, much like Allen, played with trash. His completion percentage has risen each year. Jackson has really been a good player from the pocket and has a big arm. The draft breakdown video of him in the college football forum is pretty good. He’s not a guy that just runs around and tries to make plays.

With that being said, I don’t think that he is a guy that would interest Beane. I could see Daboll liking him though. Beane certainly likes Rudolph. They saw him a few times live including the bowl game (which was the best that I saw Rudolph). 

So you don’t like Baker? He plays out of the pocket WAY more than Jackson. 

No im not a fan of baker. Short small hands and mobile. The unholy trinity 

• Like (+1) 2

Good discussion, reminds me why I don't want to see the Bills keep both picks. None of the three scenarios are desirable. 

By selecting either QB the team would be admitting they need to use valuable assets to fix the position but they are not committed to it.

Go up and get your guy. 

Passing on all the QB's would be the worst outcome IMO.

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

The kid threw for nearly 14,000 yards, had a career 63% CP, 92 TDS & only 26 Ints & had 9.4 yards per attempt & 157 QBR.  He has also started every game for OSU since his sophomore year.  What more do you want him to do? 

If Rudolph is on the board by the time the Bills pick comes I hope they run to the podium with his name on the card. 

I don’t want to speak for anyone else but that team was supposed to be a national title contender. They played in the Camping Word Bowl.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

That’s fair.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t want to speak for anyone else but that team was supposed to be a national title contender. They played in the Camping Word Bowl.

They didn't have a bad year.  They went 10-3.  They loss to Oklahoma where they put up 52 points, they loss to Kansas St where they put up 40 points & they loss to TCU where they put up 31 points.  You can't possibly be putting these losses on Rudolph. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Everyone who said DeShaun Watson was another Tyrod should be tarred and feathered.  

I cant comment on this Jackson kid, but the Tyrod comps are probably uninformed and lazy as well.  

Watson, Taylor, Jackson are all different players.

IMO from what I have seen of Jackson he would is a bigger highlight film than Tyrod but even less of a QB. Watson was always a QB, I personally doubted his arm, after a brief review it looks fine.

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

They didn't have a bad year.  They went 10-3.  They loss to Oklahoma where they put up 52 points, they loss to Kansas St where they put up 40 points & they loss to TCU where they put up 31 points.  You can't possibly be putting these losses on Rudolph. 

Actual factual

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bingo.

Just win.  Their biggest games were also his worst games.  I really don't care about numbers in the Big 12, but when you play your 3 worst games of the year against your 3 best opponents, that's a red flag.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

These are the exact reasons this regime is not going to draft him. I'm not saying he's not going to be good. He might be. But it's not a risk this regime is going to be willing to make.  The off-field stuff doesn't help either. McBeane have been ultra conservative in their thinking so far and Brandon Beane has said that the most important quality for a quarterback is to be able to win from inside the pocket. 

They aren't going to hitch their careers on this guy, or a guy like Jackson. I think they try to trade up for Darnold, Allen, Rosen. If they can't get one of those guys they develop Peterman and maybe draft a guy like White, Ferguson, or Falk later in the draft.  If you aren't getting the elite prospect, you are really just getting another Peterman. 

Just remember though, it is extremely early in the process. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bingo.

Just win.  Their biggest games were also his worst games.  I really don't care about numbers in the Big 12, but when you play your 3 worst games of the year against your 3 best opponents, that's a red flag.

Howd Lamar fare in big games?

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

These are the exact reasons this regime is not going to draft him. I'm not saying he's not going to be good. He might be. But it's not a risk this regime is going to be willing to make.  The off-field stuff doesn't help either. McBeane have been ultra conservative in their thinking so far and Brandon Beane has said that the most important quality for a quarterback is to be able to win from inside the pocket. 

They aren't going to hitch their careers on this guy, or a guy like Jackson. I think they try to trade up for Darnold, Allen, Rosen. If they can't get one of those guys they develop Peterman and maybe draft a guy like White, Ferguson, or Falk later in the draft.  If you aren't getting the elite prospect, you are really just getting another Peterman. 

Just remember though, it is extremely early in the process. 

Your lips to gods ears. No more mobile qb. 

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I didn’t say that it was a bad year but I think that they would absolutely be disappointed to not be in a New Year’s 6 Bowl. 

He played okay in those games but did turn it over 7 times.

7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Everyone who said DeShaun Watson was another Tyrod should be tarred and feathered.  

I cant comment on this Jackson kid, but the Tyrod comps are probably uninformed and lazy as well.  

Agreed it is a lazy comp. I will say that O'Brien and the Texans staff adjusted the offense to fit what Watson does well and it was similar to what he was doing in Clemson. NFL defenses catch up to that stuff, kind of like what we saw with Kap, RG3 etc. I'm not saying this will happen to Watson, but I want to see him have success in a true pro system before I anoint him. 

In my estimation Kirby, the real decision here is where the Bills' braintrust sees the need at QB. Because, as others have pointed out, if they prioritize QB as a "must have" this year, then they WILL trade up. If, on the other hand, they do not prioritize QB as "must have" then they will pass in the 1st round. It's an either/or proposition. Not so much a "what if".

So, for the sake of discussion, let's say that the Bills feel QB is "must have." IMO, they will make a deal to get the guy they want, or one of the guys they like. They will absolutely NOT stand at 21 and see whose left. Its as simple as that in my mind.

Edited by clayboy54