Jackson, Rudolph or Pass

Rudolph, Jackson or Neither  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

This exercise assumes that the Bills will not trade up and will not have signed Cousins. They will have signed a placeholder guy in this scenario Bradford/Bridgewater/Tyrod/McCown. 

We have discussed a lot, the guy(s) that we want. Let’s say that the Bills stay put and the likely scenario or Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are off the board. What should the Bills do at 21/22? Should they take Rudolph or Jackson or not draft a QB in the 1st? 

This is feels like a relatively realistic scenario. Please don’t provide ridiculous suggestions like “sign Garoppolo or Brees.” Let’s try to be realistic. 

• Like (+1) 1

To early for me to tell

Jackson could be a WIlson type of QB, but his accuracy issues are a concern...

Rudolph has some questions regarding his ability to scan the full field and a few arm strength concerns

I honestly haven't read enough to think either of them should be drafted in the 1st rd, Both will require a year or 2 of grooming

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Insightful.  At least you didn't say "He's just like Tyrod".

Equally as insightful as your completely incorrect assertion that he was the best player in cfb the past two years. If he was he’d be a consensus number 1 pick. Strangely enough he’s not.

• Haha (+1) 1

OK .. agree as a college player .. Jackson has had more impact .. but that's due to his rushing stats .. I think history shows (see Tyrod) that rushing based QB's vs. pocket passers don't translate to the NFL ... the three year trend of Mason Rudolph looks good . .but history of Big 12 QBs excelling in NFL is limited due to wide open spread offenses.  But of the two I'd take Rudolph at 21 or 22, its worth a flier.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Oklahoma State         915 1447 63.2 13618 9.4 9.9 92 26

*2014 Oklahoma State Big 12 FR QB 3 49 86 57.0 853 9.9 9.2 6 4 154.0
*2015 Oklahoma State Big 12 SO QB 13 264 424 62.3 3770 8.9 8.9 21 9 149.1
*2016 Oklahoma State Big 12 JR QB 13 284 448 63.4 4091 9.1 10.0 28 4 158.9
2017 Oklahoma State Big 12 SR QB 13 318 489 65.0 4904 10.0 10.7 37 9 170.6
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

Equally as insightful as your completely incorrect assertion that he was the best player in cfb the past two years. If he was he’d be a consensus number 1 pick. Strangely enough he’s not.

It’s really not ridiculous at all to think that. He won a Heisman and was a finalist on a team that was only 8-5. Tim Tebow, Eric Crouch, Gino Torretta and Jason White were once the best players in college football. Should they have been consensus #1 picks?

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Best player in college football doesn't automatically mean #1 pick.  Hell, there's been years where guys who had minimal impact in college football get drafted top 10 because they had impressive combine numbers.

I'm just curious, does everyone who knows for sure that Jackson won't be good  - were you the same people who knew Watson wouldn't be good - or better yet, STILL think he's not that good? I get that the mechanics of a protypical QB are important, but sometimes, when an athlete is a freak and has "IT", the seemingly big issues aren't as big. Us reaching for EJ has scarred us for life because our GM/scouts didn't recognize he didn't have the "IT" factor to cover his flaws. I'm not saying Jackson will be good for sure. I'm just not convinced the reasons he will suck are going to hold up. It's not that simple.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just don't believe Rudolph has the arm talent to succeed in Buffalo and having guys like Washington / Ateman / Carson, I'm not sure there's a QB who did less with more than Rudolph.

This has been my thinking as well. It holds especially true when you add in Mike Gundy’s system.

Jackson to me is a little boom or bust but has developed each year as a passer. He wouldn’t be my first choice for that reason but in the scenario above he’d be my choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I'm just curious, does everyone who knows for sure that Jackson won't be good  - were you the same people who knew Watson wouldn't be good - or better yet, STILL think he's not that good? I get that the mechanics of a protypical QB are important, but sometimes, when an athlete is a freak and has "IT", the seemingly big issues aren't as big. Us reaching for EJ has scarred us for life because our GM/scouts didn't recognize he didn't have the "IT" factor to cover his flaws. I'm not saying Jackson will be good for sure. I'm just not convinced the reasons he will suck are going to hold up. It's not that simple.

I think Watson's passing stats more mirror Rudolph (see my above post) vs. Jacksons .. Watson was more of a passer in college than Jackson.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Clemson         814 1207 67.4 10168 8.4 8.7 90 32 157.5
*2014 Clemson ACC FR QB 8 93 137 67.9 1466 10.7 12.1 14 2 188.6
*2015 Clemson ACC SO QB 15 333 491 67.8 4109 8.4 8.6 35 13 156.3
*2016 Clemson ACC JR QB 15 388 579 67.0 4593 7.9 8.0 41 17 151.1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This has been my thinking as well. It holds especially true when you add in Mike Gundy’s system.

Jackson to me is a little boom or bust but has developed each year as a passer. He wouldn’t be my first choice for that reason but in the scenario above he’d be my choice. 

I don't follow college football closely but Sal C was talking about him the other day and his concern is he's a below 60% completion percentage in a Bobby Petrino offense.

I don't think Jackson is being considered by the Bills.  Every time Beane talks about what they're looking for in a QB, he just sounds like he wants that traditional pocket passer.  Not that Jackson can't do it but that's not the type of QB he is.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Best player in college football doesn't automatically mean #1 pick.  Hell, there's been years where guys who had minimal impact in college football get drafted top 10 because they had impressive combine numbers.

Just say no to non pocket passers. Been there done that over it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't follow college football closely but Sal C was talking about him the other day and his concern is he's a below 60% completion percentage in a Bobby Petrino offense.

I don't think Jackson is being considered by the Bills.  Every time Beane talks about what they're looking for in a QB, he just sounds like he wants that traditional pocket passer.  Not that Jackson can't do it but that's not the type of QB he is.

Which I completely understand.  If you aren't putting Jackson into an offense that utilizes his skills, he's not the right pick.  I just think Rudolph has had NFL talent in a wide open league and has consistently underwhelmed. 

I'm going to trust what Beane/McD's evaluation.   Lamar has gotten better each year and would be the best running QB since Michael Vick.  I do believe he will have a career in the NFL I just don't know if it will be as a successful starting QB.    Rudolph is less sexy but he's a good pocket passer.  Throws with anticipation, good accuracy and has the look of what a pocket passer should look like.  His lack of arm strength is a concern but I don't find it to be all that weak either.    If I had to choose myself, which would be a very uninformed view it would be Rudolph.   

• Like (+1) 1