Jackson, Rudolph or Pass

Rudolph, Jackson or Neither  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

On 1/18/2018 at 5:49 AM, ProcessTheTrust said:

I'm just curious, does everyone who knows for sure that Jackson won't be good  - were you the same people who knew Watson wouldn't be good - or better yet, STILL think he's not that good? I get that the mechanics of a protypical QB are important, but sometimes, when an athlete is a freak and has "IT", the seemingly big issues aren't as big. Us reaching for EJ has scarred us for life because our GM/scouts didn't recognize he didn't have the "IT" factor to cover his flaws. I'm not saying Jackson will be good for sure. I'm just not convinced the reasons he will suck are going to hold up. It's not that simple.

I was skeptical of Watson last year because I had concerns about his turnover issues and downfield accuracy.  The sample size is small, but he certainly came into the NFL and caught fire pretty quick.  Is it his WR's...is it the lack of tape on him...or is it that he is going to be pretty good or better?  Either way, it was a great start for the kid.

So, I have been watching a lot of Falk, Mason, and Jackson as there are three I am starting to think are the most likely candidates for the Bills (assuming we dont surprise and land Cousins) as I dont think Beane will pay the price needed to get one of the top 4.  

And after doing so, I came away thinking Jackson is the guy and just might have the highest ceiling of all the QBs in the draft.  He has a lower floor than some of the top guys, but I was really impressed and surprised to see so many legit NFL throws in and out of the pocket, tight windows, leading his guys, etc.  Used the whole field on top of that.  

So mark me down as a guy who wants to sign Teddy (or keep TT) and draft Lamar.  I won't hate Mason or anything, but this is just the way I am leaning right now and I reserve the right to change my mind as we go through senior bowl, combine, workouts etc lol.

5 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i don't really know anything about these guys other than what i hear on the radio and read in these posts. but i do like what i have heard about rudolph, and i also like that he could be had without trading anything away. he seems to be a very "safe" or "boring" pick, but i don't see anything wrong with that. if he can execute the offense that our coaches want to run, i would sign up for that. a lot of people have opined that he is a rich man's peterman. i think that could be ok. 

Who wants boring for your future franchise QB . I'll pass on that. 

13 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Who wants boring for your future franchise QB . I'll pass on that. 

i would settle for a boring guy that is far from flashy but can sit back and hit his receivers on the move. someone who can get the ball into his playmakers' hands and put the ball in a location to let his guys keep on running.

15 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i would settle for a boring guy that is far from flashy but can sit back and hit his receivers on the move. someone who can get the ball into his playmakers' hands and put the ball in a location to let his guys keep on running.

...having a difficult time remembering such a time in Bufalo...damn senior moments...............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....now that Beane/McD may have the broad/general parameters in their minds as far as offensive philosophy with Daboll hiring, which one is the better fit?.................

i have been wondering this as well. which qb is the best fit for what they want to do? i know mcd wants a strong character/effort guy. and beane has stated he wants the big guy that can stand tall in the pocket and distribute the ball to his playmakers. the wildcard would be daboll and what his input is here.

10 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i have been wondering this as well. which qb is the best fit for what they want to do? i know mcd wants a strong character/effort guy. and beane has stated he wants the big guy that can stand tall in the pocket and distribute the ball to his playmakers. the wildcard would be daboll and what his input is here.

...it will be interesting to say the least....but I think we are on more solid footing than in recent years regarding QB spot.......the Kolb mat attack foiled any vet presence leadership.....EJ tanked woefully when thrust into starting....waiting for Orton until August while he resolved his Jurry fight was no help.......Roman went ballistic internally at OBD with the Cassell trade and I don't think he ever warmed up to working with TT.......Roman was Wreck's scapegoat and Lynn did the best he could thrust into the position.......overall, that OBD "continuity (COUGH)" rivaled Middle East "stability".......but me thinks Beane/McD selected Daboll with their offensive ideas in mind and he's already on board to provide substantial input in the draft process.......

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it will be interesting to say the least....but I think we are on more solid footing than in recent years regarding QB spot.......the Kolb mat attack foiled any vet presence leadership.....EJ tanked woefully when thrust into starting....waiting for Orton until August while he resolved his Jurry fight was no help.......Roman went ballistic internally at OBD with the Cassell trade and I don't think he ever warmed up to working with TT.......Roman was Wreck's scapegoat and Lynn did the best he could thrust into the position.......overall, that OBD "continuity (COUGH)" rivaled Middle East "stability".......but me thinks Beane/McD selected Daboll with their offensive ideas in mind and he's already on board to provide substantial input in the draft process.......

i would have to think that this regime has more stability than any other in the recent past. coach and gm are seemingly on the same page. and this oc was brought in so quickly that i have to believe he was the number one choice. now for the qb. i can't help but think that they are going to, one way or another, get the guy they think fits best philosophically, as well as schematically, within their organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see a can't miss qb prospect in this draft so I hope the Bills don't give up too much to move higher. I think Rosen Allen and Darnold are overrated at this point and would not be surprised if they all disappoint in the NFL. Mayfield processes the field and makes great decisions with the ball. Jackson has incredible speed and athleticism for a qb. I see them both as boom or bust, risky with a high ceiling. Rudolph is 6'5", had incredible production and has progressed every year. He also is athletic and ran for 10 tds this year. With proper development I think he has as much potential as any of them. Hang onto the draft picks, bring in a good fa like Smith, draft Rudolph, draft for the lines lbs etc., get quality rb and speedy wr. I think getting an established qb and building the overall team while still drafting a good qb prospect is a better plan than going all in on one of the 'top' qbs.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was skeptical of Watson last year because I had concerns about his turnover issues and downfield accuracy.  The sample size is small, but he certainly came into the NFL and caught fire pretty quick.  Is it his WR's...is it the lack of tape on him...or is it that he is going to be pretty good or better?  Either way, it was a great start for the kid.

So, I have been watching a lot of Falk, Mason, and Jackson as there are three I am starting to think are the most likely candidates for the Bills (assuming we dont surprise and land Cousins) as I dont think Beane will pay the price needed to get one of the top 4.  

And after doing so, I came away thinking Jackson is the guy and just might have the highest ceiling of all the QBs in the draft.  He has a lower floor than some of the top guys, but I was really impressed and surprised to see so many legit NFL throws in and out of the pocket, tight windows, leading his guys, etc.  Used the whole field on top of that.  

So mark me down as a guy who wants to sign Teddy (or keep TT) and draft Lamar.  I won't hate Mason or anything, but this is just the way I am leaning right now and I reserve the right to change my mind as we go through senior bowl, combine, workouts etc lol.

While I do think Beane will find a way to get up to draft Rosen or Darnold, I do agree with you. Aside from probably Rosen, none of these guys should start this year.  No one can really argue that Jackson doesn't have the most upside here. When I'm drafting a young guy to develop, he better be clearly better than Nate Peterman. I don't see that with Rudolph or Falk. Though I do like Falk and I see some Michigan Tom Brady in him. Again, not saying he is going to be Brady, but I like some of his traits. You have to move the needle, and to me, guys like Rudolph, Falk, Ferguson, White just don't move the needle all that much. Are they worth a 4th round Peterman-Cardale Jones flyer? Yes. Does it mean the QB conundrum is solved? No way.   

Jackson has a chance to be Michael Vick, or RG3. But he has some unbelievable athletic ability and I think he goes late one, early 2.  

I think this regime is only going to draft a Darnold, Rosen, Allen. Otherwise, I think they will pass on the quarterbacks this year. So I kind of feel it is trade up or bust. This franchise has really never drafted a high upside top prospect quarterback since Kelly. With the draft currency we have, the time is now to get that guy. If no trade up is available, you trade down and gather picks to move up next year. You can't force it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I don't consider Mayfield a pocket passer either even though he's not in this discussion. We have had a mobile QB with accuracy issues for the past few years and it hit it's ceiling this year even though Tyrod didn't have a great year we made the playoffs in spite because of his lack of turnovers. Lamar has shown that he does take chances and does throw down the field unfortunately without great accuracy he'll probably be a career backup somewhere (Joe Webb). Rudolph is more of the prototypical passer that stands in the pocket and has decent accuracy from what I've watched I like his ability.

Finally, someone who know what he’s talking about.  Mayfield is NOT a pocket passer .  He throws on rollouts more than any of the top 6 QB’s.  

Howver, Jackson is terrific from the pocket.  There is a misconception by many that he is a running QB only.  He has a cannon for an arm and is the best running QB I’ve ever seen.  I think we will be a great pro.