QB Film Room: Baker Mayfield

Buffalo716

Baker Mayfield is very polarizing. He has always been a sleeer and that fuels him. Coming out of HS being a state champion in Texas he had only 3 D1 offers. Florida Atlantic, Rice and New Mexico. Baker Decided to double down on his own talent and walked on at Texas Tech. What happened next? Well he only earned the starting job as a True Freshman 

Overview

The Sooners Slinger,Baker Mayfield, is listed at 6'1 220 but I suspect he's closer to 5'11, maybe 6'. That doesn't stop Mayfield from dominating on the field though. 

A knock on Baker over the years is that he doesn't exactly have a strong arm. Sure, he's a smaller guy, it's believable. But put on the tape. Baker has shown over and over that he can spin the ball 60 yards in the air... off his backfoot. Doesn't sound weak to me

Baker has a nice release and throws with very good timing. What sets him apart from most of his peers is his advanced level of touch on throws to all levels. 

Mayfield throws a very catchable ball with good ball placement. He routinely gives his receivers the chance for YAC and big plays 

underrated athlete who can move inside and outside the pocket. Throws very well on the run

Baker is a fierce competitor and players play hard for him. He has a gunslinging attitude and is not afraid of the big moments. Carved up Ohio State like a thanksgiving turkey 

Baker really needs to clean up his consistency at the next level. His field vision is inconsistent and he must fix that to continue his development 

He also has spotty lower body mechanics. As I said earlier , he can spin it 60 yards backfoot... key word backfoot. If Baker was more consistent with his lower body mechanics his arm talent will rise even more. 

Baker can get happy feet in the pocket and leave too early at times. He gets away with it in college but must refine his game in the NFL

Will need to continue to develop his game under center since he spent most of his time at OU out of shotgun

STRENGTHS

-Fierce competitor

-Throws very catchable ball

-Good accuracy to all levels

-Advanced levels of touch 

-underrated athlete

-underrated arm strength 

- can maneuver inside and outside pocket

-Throws well on run 

-Good football IQ

-Works the seams

-Good ball placement 

-throws with great timing

-Difficult to Sack

-Playmaker

-Will throw receivers open

NEGATIVES

- Lower Body mechanics need work

-Inconsistent field vision

-Can get happy feet in pocket

-Didn't play many top defenses 

-Shorter than ideal

-needs work on maturity 

-can he stay in pocket?

-Needs work under center

-Transition from OU offense to NFL

BOTTOM LINE

Baker Mayfield has had a year for the ages. Before the season I didn't think much of his NFL prospects. His development as a QB has changed all that. Outside of Rosen and Darnold their isn't a QB in the draft who throws with as good of timing, touch, and accuracy as Mayfield. If you are willing to look past his size,  Mayfield has Advanced levels of touch and accuracy which should land him somewhere in the first round 

GRADE

83.9 (High end starter)

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This is our guy, hope the Bills figure that out.

I have always been a harsh evaluator. I usually harp on the negatives more than the positives. I nit pick everything 

but i really really struggled to come up with a laundry list of negatives for Baker. even what he does bad, by his standards, is better than a lot of prospects 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I have always been a harsh evaluator. I usually harp on the negatives more than the positives. I nit pick everything 

but i really really struggled to come up with a laundry list of negatives for Baker. even what he does bad, by his standards, is better than a lot of prospects 

Do you hear about who team's like and if so what do you think the Bills think of Mayfield?

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

If this team doesn't draft Baker based on "character" I think that would be it for this regime for me.  Off the field character isn't going to win you games.

As much as I would hate not taking Mayfield, McDermott has this team going in the right direction and will fill out this team in the draft and free agency.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Do you hear about who team's like and if so what do you think the Bills think of Mayfield?

Yea I hear a bunch of talk and rumors about which teams like who.

I haven't heard many rumors about Baker to the Bills but I do know for a fact that the Bills did go to a few OU games this year to scout

I would've been watching Baker like a hawk

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I haven't heard many rumors about Baker to the Bills but I do know for a fact that the Bills did go to a few OU games this year to scout

Hopefully they stay right to the vest  and take him when no one expects it.

I wonder if all this talk that they don't like him is coming from media or are they putting out smoke screens?

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Baker Mayfield is very polarizing. He has always been a sleeer and that fuels him. Coming out of HS being a state champion in Texas he had only 3 D1 offers. Florida Atlantic, Rice and New Mexico. Baker Decided to double down on his own talent and walked on at Texas Tech. What happened next? Well he only earned the starting job as a True Freshman 

Overview

The Sooners Slinger,Baker Mayfield, is listed at 6'1 220 but I suspect he's closer to 5'11, maybe 6'. That doesn't stop Mayfield from dominating on the field though. 

A knock on Baker over the years is that he doesn't exactly have a strong arm. Sure, he's a smaller guy, it's believable. But put on the tape. Baker has shown over and over that he can spin the ball 60 yards in the air... off his backfoot. Doesn't sound weak to me

Baker has a nice release and throws with very good timing. What sets him apart from most of his peers is his advanced level of touch on throws to all levels. 

Mayfield throws a very catchable ball with good ball placement. He routinely gives his receivers the chance for YAC and big plays 

underrated athlete who can move inside and outside the pocket. Throws very well on the run

Baker is a fierce competitor and players play hard for him. He has a gunslinging attitude and is not afraid of the big moments. Carved up Ohio State like a thanksgiving turkey 

Baker really needs to clean up his consistency at the next level. His field vision is inconsistent and he must fix that to continue his development 

He also has spotty lower body mechanics. As I said earlier , he can spin it 60 yards backfoot... key word backfoot. If Baker was more consistent with his lower body mechanics his arm talent will rise even more. 

Baker can get happy feet in the pocket and leave too early at times. He gets away with it in college but must refine his game in the NFL

Will need to continue to develop his game under center since he spent most of his time at OU out of shotgun

STRENGTHS

-Fierce competitor

-Throws very catchable ball

-Good accuracy to all levels

-Advanced levels of touch 

-underrated athlete

-underrated arm strength 

- can maneuver inside and outside pocket

-Throws well on run 

-Good football IQ

-Works the seams

-Good ball placement 

-throws with great timing

-Difficult to Sack

-Playmaker

-Will throw receivers open

NEGATIVES

- Lower Body mechanics need work

-Inconsistent field vision

-Can get happy feet in pocket

-Didn't play many top defenses 

-Shorter than ideal

-needs work on maturity 

-can he stay in pocket?

-Needs work under center

-Transition from OU offense to NFL

BOTTOM LINE

Baker Mayfield has had a year for the ages. Before the season I didn't think much of his NFL prospects. His development as a QB has changed all that. Outside of Rosen and Darnold their isn't a QB in the draft who throws with as good of timing, touch, and accuracy as Mayfield. If you are willing to look past his size,  Mayfield has Advanced levels of touch and accuracy which should land him somewhere in the first round 

Excellent write up. Terrific post.

It also should be noted that every year he has improved. In addition, his teammates love him and rally around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I wonder if all this talk that they don't like him is coming from media or are they putting out smoke screens?

I would assume it's the media. They try to put 2 and 2 together. McDermott is a no nonsense kinda guy and Baker doesn't exactly fit that

but what they don't report about Baker that fits McDermotts mold is his work ethic, his drive, and ability to sacrifice to win

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The Mayfield surge is not a secret. What the Bills know about him is what every other team in the league knows about him. If you want him you will have to reach up to near the top of the draft to get him. In my opinion whatever the cost is well worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would assume it's the media. They try to put 2 and 2 together. McDermott is a no nonsense kinda guy and Baker doesn't exactly fit that

but what they don't report about Baker that fits McDermotts mold is his work ethic, his drive, and ability to sacrifice to win

Exactly, you can see how much the game means to him and how he has worked his butt off to get where he is.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

...need your expertise bud.....maybe it's nothing, but it seemed odd that Beane PERSONALLY scouted Rudolph in the October WVU game and his bowl game.....from what I'm reading, he should be available at 21/22 when Bflo picks or even lower.......what if he is their "safe yet unsexy" pick in that range?.......what is your assessment?.....much appreciated...

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Mayfield surge is not a secret. What the Bills know about him is what every other team in the league knows about him. If you want him you will have to reach up to near the top of the draft to get him. In my opinion whatever the cost is well worth it. 

I would trade up too.

But then you hear jim  Mora say he is a second rounder, so it makes me wonder where he is really ranked amongst GMs?

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...need your expertise bud.....maybe it's nothing, but it seemed odd that Beane PERSONALLY scouted Rudolph in the October WVU game and his bowl game.....from what I'm reading, he should be available at 21/22 when Bflo picks or even lower.......what if he is their "safe yet unsexy" pick in that range?.......what is your assessment?.....much appreciated...

We don't need safe , we need the best. Time for this team to get the guy.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would trade up too.

But then you hear jim  Mora say he is a second rounder, so it makes me wonder where he is really ranked amongst GMs?

In my opinion he is a top ten player, or even higher. This is a high demand position so it is going to ratchet up the demand. Anyone who thinks he is a second round pick is a crackpot who should either be laughed out or ignored. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I will be doing a report on Mason Rudolph as well. I am not finished with it yet but I will say I would be more confident with Rudolph over say Josh Allen .

He has played a bunch of games and gotten better yearly. He has good size and a good arm and I think he will go in the first 2 rounds. I think he'll definitely be there at 22

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would trade up too.

A lot of Execs and GMs and Lead scouts have him around 25-40 on their big board 

so a fringe first, early second round guy...

BUT

the adage is that you always draft a QB a round early so you don't lose him...

this squarely put Baker in round 1 IMO and it shouldn't be over thought

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

A lot of Execs and GMs and Lead scouts have him around 25-40 on their big board 

so a fringe first, early second round guy...

BUT

the adage is that you always draft a QB a round early so you don't lose him...

this squarely put Baker in round 1 IMO

Sweet, this makes me feel much better about getting him. Let me guess they don't like his height and "character" .

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would trade up too.

We don't need safe , we need the best. Time for this team to get the guy.

....BUT....BB, is this gang riverboat gamblers with draft capital or do they go safe and unsexy?........I'd bet safe....what is your take?.....

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....BUT....BB, is this gang riverboat gamblers with draft capital or do they go safe and unsexy?........I'd bet safe....what is your take?.....

They have made a ton of bold moves so far, I've got to conclude they will continue to do so. I believe that they traded to get all those picks so they had the draft capital to get a QB and fill out this team.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.