Jimmy Garoppolo

1 hour ago, ricko1112 said:
1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Patriot*  way is to dump guys before they fail.  

Why change now? 

Brady will be the league MVP this year. How do you justify trading the best QB in the league?

What I posted was not inaccurate.  

They will follow the way or not.  

Brady can not play for another 5 years. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This.  

If Tommie gets hurt or retires they are screwed.  

The Patriot*  way is to dump guys before they fail.  

Why change now? 

But what were they supposed to do?

Get rid of Brady next year?

They should have gotten more than a 2nd by trading JImmy G in the offseason, but there's no way you can get rid of Brady.

He might win MVP and his 6th superbowl title this year

2 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

Brady will be the league MVP this year. How do you justify trading the best QB in the league?

BB held onto him up until the trading deadline. They would have offered a lot more on draft day.

BB does some things that make you scratch your head, but the usually work out. He traded Jamie Collins (their best defender) midseason last year to the Browns. Defense got better. Go figure.

Sorry for replying to you twice Buffalo Boy!

We ALL know Bill Belichick’s MO is to send ‘em packing too early rather than too late. Letting Brady win the SB and letting him retire is total B.B. 

There is NO way Brady plays somewhere else or is traded unless he agreed which I assume he wouldn’t.

Letting JG go was a mistake or an FU by B.B. to the owner.

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

But what were they supposed to do?

Get rid of Brady next year?

They should have gotten more than a 2nd by trading JImmy G in the offseason, but there's no way you can get rid of Brady.

He might win MVP and his 6th superbowl title this year

Belichick can do ANYTHING!!!!

He’s crazier than R. Woods.

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What I posted was not inaccurate.  

They will follow the way or not.  

Brady can not play for another 5 years. 

Thank the old gods and the new!!!!

His departure will be one of the sweetest day for Bills fans in decades!

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Belichick can do ANYTHING!!!!

He’s crazier than R. Woods.

Haha. "Can" do, and "shouldn't" do are 2 different things though.

I'm not sure how you can justify getting rid of possibly the greatest player who has ever played the game, coming off of potentially a MVP and 6th superbowl

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When have they not gotten the better of a deal?  

Not very often.   

Also Jimmy sat for 4 games. Why? To get the Pats a better draft slot? 

Patriots lose a lot of trades. Belichick and Brady just overshadow them because they are so damn good.

Like for one, Chandler Jones for that guard, Cooper. Arizona absolutely hosed them on that.

He sat until the deadline because the Pats were probably trying to get the best deal possible as they were discussing trades about Jimmy G for a while.

When they realized they couldn't get full value for him, that's most likely when they had to pull the trigger and take what they could get at the trade deadline. It was most likely a miscalculation on their part, because they would have traded him to the Browns for a 1st in the off season. They had to trade him at the deadline though cause there is no way they would have franchised him or signed him to a long term contract with Brady being there.

I would.  Incidentally it wouldn’t be both of this year’s firsts, it would be our natural 1st this year and next.  But it won’t happen.  JG’s agent was instrumental in getting him to the team he thought would be best for him. He actually worked with NE brass to make it happen.  He’s staying in SF (unfortunately). 

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm willing to bet this is most accurate.

Exactly right.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I would.  Incidentally it wouldn’t be both of this year’s firsts, it would be our natural 1st this year and next.  But it won’t happen.  JG’s agent was instrumental in getting him to the team he thought would be best for him. He actually worked with NE brass to make it happen.  He’s staying in SF (unfortunately). 

That's interesting, how do you know (on the agent).

Agree, SF didn't swap a 2nd round pick for a half-year rental.  They wanted to get him in town and check him out before paying the big bucks.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Kraft reportedly wasn't going for any trade of Brady and Jimmy G wasn't coming back as the 2nd QB.  

Yup, this.

I totally buy this part of that recent expose. The reporter had a lot of sources and the coverage was slanted towards Belichick, so some of the sources were almost certainly guys in Belichick's camp.

In any case, I just don't see Garoppolo being available in any way, at any price.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Even if you were willing to give up 4 first rounders, he's going to be a 49er for a long, long time.

Yup.  Shanahan is giddy that he has his franchise QB and only had to give up a 2nd rounder for him.  There's no way they're letting him go. 

The Brown can't catch a break as the Pats reportedly turned down a 2018 first rounder the Browns got from the Texans (now the 4th overall pick) a few days before trading him to the 49ers.

There is zero...literally zero percent chance Jimmy will play anywhere other than SF this year.  If Cleveland offered SF the #1 overall pick and the 4th Overall pick San Francisco wouldn't even pick up the phone.   Jimmy is not available on any level.

They are going to either sign him or Tag him 1 season and then negotiate the long term deal.  No team in the NFL will have any chance at Jimmy and I am shocked people are still in this fairy tale.  Even if it was a non exclusive tag, they will 100% match any offer given rather than take the 2 draft picks.  Might as well wonder if we can get Aaron Rogers this year because their availability is the same...0%.

Jimmy already had an intriguing resume in his limited starts in NE.  Then he walks into a 1 win team mid season where he does not know the offense, and hasn't played a meaningful down of football in a long time.  What does he do?  A few weeks later he gets a chance to start where his TOP weapon to throw to is none other Maquise Goodwin (the same Goodwin about 95% of this board said is trash) and leads the Niners on a 5-0 win streak to end the season...a team that was 1-10 before Jimmy with the exact same roster.  A team whose roster overall was considered near the bottom of the league talent wise.  And one of those wins included the AFC Championship destined Jaguars and their top defense.

Why would the Niners let Jimmy go to get two measly first round picks that statistically are more likely to bust than hit?   Its not ever going to happen or be considered.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is zero...literally zero percent chance Jimmy will play anywhere other than SF this year.  If Cleveland offered SF the #1 overall pick and the 4th Overall pick San Francisco wouldn't even pick up the phone.   Jimmy is not available on any level.

They are going to either sign him or Tag him 1 season and then negotiate the long term deal.  No team in the NFL will have any chance at Jimmy and I am shocked people are still in this fairy tale.  Even if it was a non exclusive tag, they will 100% match any offer given rather than take the 2 draft picks.  Might as well wonder if we can get Aaron Rogers this year because their availability is the same...0%.

Jimmy already had an intriguing resume in his limited starts in NE.  Then he walks into a 1 win team mid season where he does not know the offense, and hasn't played a meaningful down of football in a long time.  What does he do?  A few weeks later he gets a chance to start where his TOP weapon to throw to is none other Maquise Goodwin (the same Goodwin about 95% of this board said is trash) and leads the Niners on a 5-0 win streak to end the season...a team that was 1-10 before Jimmy with the exact same roster.  A team whose roster overall was considered near the bottom of the league talent wise.  And one of those wins included the AFC Championship destined Jaguars and their top defense.

Why would the Niners let Jimmy go to get two measly first round picks that statistically are more likely to bust than hit?   Its not ever going to happen or be considered.  

Excellent post

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's interesting, how do you know (on the agent).

Agree, SF didn't swap a 2nd round pick for a half-year rental.  They wanted to get him in town and check him out before paying the big bucks.

Ive got an inside source in another city (not Buffalo or Boston).  He knew the scoop and shared.  That’s all I know about it.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is talking about trading for Jimmy G.  He's presupposing the '49ers use the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag allows other teams to talk to him and present offers, but requires the offering team to give the 49ers 2-1st round picks in compensation if SF can't or doesn't choose to match the offer and he signs elsewhere.  It's a steep price to pay - you outbid everyone else and structure your offer to bolix your cap so that the franchising team can't match, and then in addition you hand over your first round picks.  Lose-lose.

I don't know of any rule about where the first round picks have to be.  I don't think SF gets to pick and choose on that point.  I'm not even sure there's a rule about what to do if the signing team has 2 1st round picks that year, I think the presumption is you give up your 1st round picks this year and next.

See above....you don't get a choice under the non-exclusive franchise tag.  You give 2 1st round picks, thems the rules

The word is bollocks 

15 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Does no one remember the lesson of Rob Johnson? Beware going after a guy with a short track record.

No comparison here. RJ had exactly ONE pro start going into his final off season with Jax. JG has 8-10 starts and is UNDEFEATED as a starter! 

If I were @ OBD, I’d offer both of this years 1st’s AND next years 1st. If ‘throwing’ in Glenn and Tyrod would seal the deal, I’d do that too.

16 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

If you could get a franchise qb, like say Brees or Rodgers, you'd trade your next 10 first rounders for them.

Seriously.  

Personally I think Jimmy G's star is going to fade when DC's start getting film on the guy and learn his tendencies.  But I'd give up two 1st rounders for the guy, I think any team would, even Belichick if Kraft the Mullet would let him.

Disagree. Do you think everyone of SF’s last 6 opponents DIDN’T study game film extensively? Do you think they all expected a win, going into the game? Even needed to? They were a pushover right up until he started, then didn’t lose a single game the rest of the way.