What would it (realistically) take to get Alex Smith?

NickelCity

I'm in favor of it if 2 conditions are met:

1. No more than a 3rd rd, a fifth with it is ok (we have 2), anything more is too much with a 1 year and 20 million contract

2. We draft a QB high(first 2 rounds) to groom for next year, I don't think we can get up high enough to get one of the guys who's ready now.

The second one is tricky, it will be enticing after getting Smith to just use the picks to fill the holes

I am not opposed to getting Kirk Cousins ( I don't think we will), at say 5 years/ 25 mil., and calling it good though.

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My opinion on Alex Smith is he would be a upgrade but you still need to build a very good team around him to produce. I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for him

I wouldn't give up anything for him.  The Bills need to develop a franchise signal caller.  They don't need another middling journeyman for the next 3-4 years and they certainly don't need to be giving up draft position if they think they do need a veteran for next year.  It is absolutely pointless to put any QB on this team that's neither capable of taking you to and helping you win the Superbowl; nor capable of developing into the long term franchise guy.  Anything else is circle jerk.

Edited by Luxy312

Key point re: Alex Smith - 1 year left on his contract, basically $17 million guaranteed. For a QB the quality of Alex Smith for his age 34 season, that's pretty much free agent market value, maybe a tick or two low. We'll know more when Cousins sets the 2018 market.  But this is why I doubt the trade price will be very high. I'm thinking 2nd round pick, maybe low 1st at best.

14 hours ago, horned dogs said:

I'm in favor of it if 2 conditions are met:

1. No more than a 3rd rd, a fifth with it is ok (we have 2), anything more is too much with a 1 year and 20 million contract

2. We draft a QB high(first 2 rounds) to groom for next year, I don't think we can get up high enough to get one of the guys who's ready now.

The second one is tricky, it will be enticing after getting Smith to just use the picks to fill the holes

I am not opposed to getting Kirk Cousins ( I don't think we will), at say 5 years/ 25 mil., and calling it good though.

If you are trading for him, you already get him for 3 million less for a 1 year contract. If you only want him for one year, you don't need to renegotiate. If you want him longer you renegotiate, or you wait and hope he is released and negotiate a one year contract.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I keep going back and forth on this. After keeping it close vs. the Jags I can't help but think that a vet like Smith could have brought us deeper into the playoffs.

Smith represents an upgrade over TT and is an efficient passer. But it rankles me that those KC teams were very good yet never won anything. Their offense has always been Uber conservative going back to Martyball. I always thought Reid's going there would open things up but it hasn't.

Trading a 3rd or better just doesn't sit right with me for Smith regardless of the market. We know what Smith is - a very stable, efficient yet unspectacular caretaker of a QB. Smith is a dink and dunk guy who plays not to lose which frankly I've seen enough of. How many games have Smith's teams won because of Smith's play?

I'd rather try our luck on McCarron or if the Giants take a QB high, trade for Davis Webb. 

On 1/18/2018 at 3:32 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Key words are "this year" which makes it an aberration in comparison to his other years in the league.

I am surprised no one has called you out for your constant narrative pushing agenda.

you have spoken multiple times about his piss poor play in past seasons or certain bad performances as being fact and the only thing that matters, while dismissing his very good postseason personal stats, or his deep throw and passer rating which led the league last year as being just an anomaly and not counting as fact. You cannot have it both ways...

the bottom line is, Alex Smith is trending upwards in every category, not descending. The nfl is a what have you done lately business, not what did you do 10 years ago. That’s why old players are constantly flushed no matter what they were 2 years prior. (See Darrell revis) Alex Smith is an upgrade in so many ways for this team it’s staggering. Our team compliments his skill set so well, and he would work very well with shady and our defense 

I think OBD has a reasonable shot at Smith.......speculation is Andy is looking for a 2nd......Smith has one year left on his deal at $17 mil, so renting him for a 2nd is questionable....now if you could get him for a 3rd and an agreement in principle to add a year, that would be more palatable IMO....Smith under contract for two years to groom the new 1st round pick (I'm guessing Rudolph) and Peterman would be an ideal QB situation for Bills......was Daboll in KC with Alex?....

Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room
2018 $188,647,405 $181,091,343 ($7,556,062)
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I do not think it is a going to take a lot. I think Andy Reid is going to want to do Alex Smith right. He isn't going to trade him to the Browns. He also isn't going to trade Smith to the Broncos, an AFC West rival. I know that Brett Veach is their GM, but Reid pulls the strings.  

There is a ton of nepotism and insider trading in the NFL. KC will do us right because we did them right with the trade down last year and by gifting them Reggie Ragland. Brett Veach, Andy Reid, Sean McDermott all have close ties and all share the same agent. KC is looking for any excuse to trade Smith so they can move on to Mahomes. 

My guess is that this has already been sorted out and is going to happen in the near future. We just have to offer Kansas City something respectable so they don't look bad. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Contractkiller said:

I am surprised no one has called you out for your constant narrative pushing agenda.

you have spoken multiple times about his piss poor play in past seasons or certain bad performances as being fact and the only thing that matters, while dismissing his very good postseason personal stats, or his deep throw and passer rating which led the league last year as being just an anomaly and not counting as fact. You cannot have it both ways...

the bottom line is, Alex Smith is trending upwards in every category, not descending. The nfl is a what have you done lately business, not what did you do 10 years ago. That’s why old players are constantly flushed no matter what they were 2 years prior. (See Darrell revis) Alex Smith is an upgrade in so many ways for this team it’s staggering. Our team compliments his skill set so well, and he would work very well with shady and our defense 

Why don't you explain why KC is about to move on from him despite his upward trend.  You know something that Andy Reid doesn’t?  Compliment his skill set?  What nice things would they say? ;)

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why don't you explain why KC is about to move on from him despite his upward trend.  You know something that Andy Reid doesn’t?  Compliment his skill set?  What nice things would they say? ;)

....for starters, they drafted Mahomes at #10 and secondly, their cap situation ain't pretty....................

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....for starters, they drafted Mahomes at #10 and secondly, their cap situation ain't pretty....................

Bottom line is they are ready to move on from Alex the Great for the potential of a completely unproven 2nd year QB.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bottom line is they are ready to move on from Alex the Great for the potential of a completely unproven 2nd year QB.

....and if we are the recipient of them moving on for a 3rd and an additional year agreement in principle for Smith, I'm in..............

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and if we are the recipient of them moving on for a 3rd and an additional year agreement in principle for Smith, I'm in..............

That would work for me as well, but they would need to draft his eventual replacement. 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To have a conversation. A legit conversation, It is usually wise to at least acknowledge or answer the previous post that you are quoting (since I made many) rather than just coming up with new points/questions for me to answer, as if you have never researched Alex smith before and are asking me for all the answers. 

That being said, Kansas city is moving on from alex smith because he lacks a week-to-week killer instinct that a QB needs... Something he NEVER had in his first few years in the league, and something he seemed to just recently develop more since Harbaugh drove into town. One week smith has a TomBrady killer instinct, and the next week, he becomes a deer in the headlights, afraid to make a play quarterback. Alex smith was always criticized for not having a deep ball as a weapon. He completely destroyed that narrative this year leading the league in deep ball accuracy, and yards with 1,344.... (Drew brees was #2).... Is alex smiths sudden threat of having a very accurate deep ball, that he threw VERY often in 2017 a product of Mahomes being drafted, threatening his position at quarterback? I would say its safe to say yes.

The argument with Alex has never been can he or can't he do it. Its will he do it today, or will he not do it today. That has been the biggest gripe with smith in his more recent years since becoming a very well established NFL quarterback. The bottom line is, we don't need alex smith to be a Tom brady every week. What we need though, is the alex smith who completely dismantled the patriots earlier this year. Or the alex smith who put up 500 yards against the saints in 2011 to bring them to the NFC championship game where they lost to the eventual superbowl champion New York giants the following week (we don't want this Alex). No one here is saying Alex smith is tom brady, however stop being stupid nonetheless and come back to reality of what is, and what isn't. Our team is built to win now. Alex smith is a win now quarterback. We trade for him, while we continue to draft a quarterback for the future, because we all know these QB's are busting more than they are producing, and Alex smith gives us chances to at least compete for superbowls like he has been doing since 2011 being in the playoffs in 2011, 2012,  2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017.... Since 2011 alex smith's team has only NOT been in the playoffs once. We do not have to count 2012 if you don't want to since kaepernick took over for Alex when they were 6-2, but its safe to say those 2012 49ers were going to the playoffs regardless.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That would work for me as well, but they would need to draft his eventual replacement. 

....NEVER meant to imply EITHER OR......he would be here for two years to groom the 1st round QB draft pick and Peterman.............

4 minutes ago, Contractkiller said:

To have a conversation. A legit conversation, It is usually wise to at least acknowledge or answer the previous post that you are quoting (since I made many) rather than just coming up with new points/questions for me to answer, as if you have never researched Alex smith before and are asking me for all the answers. 

That being said, Kansas city is moving on from alex smith because he lacks a week-to-week killer instinct that a QB needs... Something he NEVER had in his first few years in the league, and something he seemed to just recently develop more since Harbaugh drove into town. One week smith has a TomBrady killer instinct, and the next week, he becomes a deer in the headlights, afraid to make a play quarterback. Alex smith was always criticized for not having a deep ball as a weapon. He completely destroyed that narrative this year leading the league in deep ball accuracy, and yards with 1,344.... (Drew brees was #2).... Is alex smiths sudden threat of having a very accurate deep ball, that he threw VERY often in 2017 a product of Mahomes being drafted, threatening his position at quarterback? I would say its safe to say yes.

The argument with Alex has never been can he or can't he do it. Its will he do it today, or will he not do it today. That has been the biggest gripe with smith in his more recent years since becoming a very well established NFL quarterback. The bottom line is, we don't need alex smith to be a Tom brady every week. What we need though, is the alex smith who completely dismantled the patriots earlier this year. Or the alex smith who put up 500 yards against the saints in 2011 to bring them to the NFC championship game where they lost to the eventual superbowl champion New York giants the following week (we don't want this Alex). No one here is saying Alex smith is tom brady, however stop being stupid nonetheless and come back to reality of what is, and what isn't. Our team is built to win now. Alex smith is a win now quarterback. We trade for him, while we continue to draft a quarterback for the future, because we all know these QB's are busting more than they are producing, and Alex smith gives us chances to at least compete for superbowls like he has been doing since 2011 being in the playoffs in 2011, 2012,  2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017.... Since 2011 alex smith's team has only NOT been in the playoffs once. We do not have to count 2012 if you don't want to since kaepernick took over for Alex when they were 6-2, but its safe to say those 2012 49ers were going to the playoffs regardless.

Alex Smith is still the same guy who will only get a team so far.  His improved  numbers in 2017 were a function of the improvement of Tyreek Hill, having a great TE in Kelce,  and the implementation of RPO concepts with Kareem Hunt as a threat in the run game. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Alex Smith is still the same guy who will only get a team so far.  His improved  numbers in 2017 were a function of the improvement of Tyreek Hill, having a great TE in Kelce,  and the implementation of RPO concepts with Kareem Hunt as a threat in the run game. 

...so give me your assessment on the Titans game......offense was humming along in the 1st hitting on all cylinders.....the 2nd yielded 3 1st downs and 41 yds......reporter asked Andy why in his presser and he got all Andy testy...."I can't get into that right now".....typical........so was it Andy?...Alex?...both?......Lebeau's D?.....

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So your saying the guy shouldn't have weapons. Man he finally gets some help and puts up big numbers and people bash him for it.  A Smith is a winner! He had a tough tough start to his career and fought bk everytime. I wouldn't mind him starting for us for a couple seasons while we properly develop a young QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so give me your assessment on the Titans game......offense was humming along in the 1st hitting on all cylinders.....the 2nd yielded 3 1st downs and 41 yds......reporter asked Andy why in his presser and he got all Andy testy...."I can't get into that right now".....typical........so was it Andy?...Alex?...both?......Lebeau's D?.....

Combination of Kelce going out, dumb play calling by Reid, and Alex not coming through in the clutch with only a FG needed to win at the end of the game. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Combination of Kelce going out, dumb play calling by Reid, and Alex not coming through in the clutch with only a FG needed to win at the end of the game. 

...Kelce loss was big and naybe he was more of a security blanket ala TT/Clay than one would think with other significant weapons....think I'd put more blame on yet another Reid hiccup who could not counter Lebeau, the 80 yr old grand master of defense before I'd pile on Alex....still would take him in Buffalo...........