What would it (realistically) take to get Alex Smith?

NickelCity

I wouldn’t give anything more than a 5th for him. KC has to either trade him or cut him as it seems they are moving to Mahomes. He’s on an expiring contract and clearly not a long term answer. If someone outbids a 5th, there’s a guy like Bradford or Chase Daniels available that can bridge to a young QB.  

Anyone giving up a 3rd rounder or more is crazy IMO. A 3rd rounder is still viewed as a guy who will be a major contributor if not an immediate starter. There really isn’t all that much talent difference from guys who go in the 20s vs guys who go round 3. 

19 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

a 3rd rounder with a conditional 1st, condition being he wins us a Super Bowl:D

Hey you might be on to something here. We could use Bills bad luck to our advantage.

Trade for him for nothing but 15 conditional first round draft picks if Alex Smith starts at least 14 regular season games and plays at least 50% of ea playoff game and 75% of Super Bowl game and leads Bills to Super Bowl win next year.

With that kind of franchise killing deal. Bills would surely win it all. On the flip side we would never be subject tosome of the following almost ever again, and some for at least 15 years:

hey what does Bills spell.

Buffalo is for losers.

wide right.

Aaron Maybin

Donte Whitner

Leodis McKelvin

Shaq Lawson

Mike Willliams

Perry Tuttle

James Williams

Erik Flowers

JP Losman

John McCargo

EJ Manual

Edited by cba fan

5 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Wait for KC to release him, then sign him to a bridge deal. 

If the Bills decide they want him they are better off trading for him as he'll have his choice of new teams if he's a UFA.  Hopefully no more than a 3rd round pick. 

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If the Bills decide they want him they are better off trading for him as he'll have his choice of new teams if he's a UFA.  Hopefully no more than a 3rd round pick. 

If the Bills really want Smith, they will likely have to trade something for him. I don’t have much interest in him other than as a 1 year bridge. To me, I don’t want to give up assets for a temporary qb. But if he were released, I would have some interest in Smith as a bridge qb. 

Edited by racketmaster

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Smith is a top ten QB as a figment of someone's imagination only and Tyrod has nothing to do with this thread.   Smith is about to be on his 3rd team for a reason. 

The reason being that SF made a bad choice at QB.

Smith was absolutely a top ten guy this year. For the rest of his post-Harbaugh career, more like 11th, 12th or 13th on the average. He'd be great to bring in if they don't have to give up too too much, but they should also draft a guy, high.

I'm starting to think that everyone's lost their minds!  Alex Smith is light years better then Tyrod Taylor. Smith may not be your dream 'franchise' guy but he's an NFL Quarterback....for sure.  When people trash suggestions on here, I would love to explain what they're alternative plan is. Doing nothing is not at option. The Bills are NOT getting one of the top rookies in this class.  They are NOT! And the Bills are NOT trading the franchise for Kirk Cousins.  They are NOT!  So, unless you want to groan through another season of TT style non-quarterback play, you better be ready for a disaster in 2018....cuz here it comes.

Smith is a top ten QB as a figment of someone's imagination only and Tyrod has nothing to do with this thread.   Smith is about to be on his 3rd team for a reason. 

Tyrod has everything to do with this.  It shows the potential someone like Alex Smith can bring to this team. 

You may not want to accept that Alex Smith is a top 10 QB and constantly plays at or above that level but he does and has shown to be a QB that should be respected.

The first 6 games of the year KC was dang near Super Bowl favorites, Smith had a great year all year. The coaching blunders and defense let KC down.

That being said this team could have easily won 10 games this year. 10 games with Tyrod. With Alex Smith I feel the Bills beat the Jets and the Bengals. Some games we won barely may have not been as close. That’s 11 wins! Build through the draft etc the Bills could contend in the next couple years.

Tyrod Bottom 5. Alex Smith over and over has proven to be a top 10 QB a majority of the time. Think about what that could provide over a QB at the bottom.

And yet Lo, when one looks at passing offense for this year the Chiefs stand at 7th.  One can imagine completions, who knew?

PS I am on record as not particularly wanting Smith

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I know this is just making excuses :), but in one of those games Marcus Mariotta threw a TD pass to himself (how lucky is that?) and Travis Kelce got injured in the first half and got replaced with a guy that couldn't catch a cold.  Another one was a total shootout where his D couldn't get a stop to save their lives in a 45-44 loss.  IN that game Alex was 30 for 46, 378 yards, and 4 TDs and 0 Ints

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014010400/2013/POST18/chiefs@colts?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap2000000310104&tab=analyze.

He also lost the 2011 NFC championship game because of a muffed punt by the other Kyle Williams. Otherwise SF wins that game.

13 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

He also lost the 2011 NFC championship game because of a muffed punt by the other Kyle Williams. Otherwise SF wins that game.

The Colts game AND this one is why it's good to pull your head out of the stat sheet and watch a game sometime. Alex is a real QB. He can't do it by himself, but who can?

Don't tell me Tommy, because if he wasn't blessed with good FG kickers and Walt Coleman, he'd be a few Lombardis lighter.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

KC Fan here....I don't think the Bills are a very likely destination for Smith UNLESS you plan to have him be the man and sign him to an extension.  It also isn't going to take a first (whoever suggested the Bills give us(KC) back our #1 for him, I love you.)  .....Smith is good enough to be some teams long term starter for a some more years....he isn't going to want to be a bridge and since he has one year left, he has leverage to leave if he doesn't get a good vibe about his long term prospects.  Smiths market is going to depend on several factors....1st, the QB market will start to fall into place once Cousins lands.  At that point it will be about what teams think Smith is more than a bridge.  Washington, Jacksonville, Arizona, maybe Denver, and the Colts if Luck's status is uncertain.  Teams like Cleveland, the Jets...I think poeple just assume Smith fits those places because they suck and Smith is pretty good....For teams needing just a bridge to the young guy they draft....Smith isn't cost effective...you can get a McCown or a Glennon or a ....Tyrod..... to be that guy a lot cheaper.  Market is heavy with those.  Of course draft day strategy comes into this...Cleveland, Jets...probalby drafting someone and doing the veteran bridge...again, not what you need Smith for.  Smiths market in a trade varies widely depending on how many bidders there are and if they are wanting Smith Long term..he is worth a lot more as a long term answer than as a bridge....we'll see.

40 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

KC Fan here....I don't think the Bills are a very likely destination for Smith UNLESS you plan to have him be the man and sign him to an extension.  It also isn't going to take a first (whoever suggested the Bills give us(KC) back our #1 for him, I love you.)  .....Smith is good enough to be some teams long term starter for a some more years....he isn't going to want to be a bridge and since he has one year left, he has leverage to leave if he doesn't get a good vibe about his long term prospects.  Smiths market is going to depend on several factors....1st, the QB market will start to fall into place once Cousins lands.  At that point it will be about what teams think Smith is more than a bridge.  Washington, Jacksonville, Arizona, maybe Denver, and the Colts if Luck's status is uncertain.  Teams like Cleveland, the Jets...I think poeple just assume Smith fits those places because they suck and Smith is pretty good....For teams needing just a bridge to the young guy they draft....Smith isn't cost effective...you can get a McCown or a Glennon or a ....Tyrod..... to be that guy a lot cheaper.  Market is heavy with those.  Of course draft day strategy comes into this...Cleveland, Jets...probalby drafting someone and doing the veteran bridge...again, not what you need Smith for.  Smiths market in a trade varies widely depending on how many bidders there are and if they are wanting Smith Long term..he is worth a lot more as a long term answer than as a bridge....we'll see.

That was me. Nice that you feel that way :)

A few of things.

1.you have not experienced the QB desert we have the last 17 years.  Alex would be a huge improvement for us IMHO. We beat y'all this year, but Alex has made the big plays in the 2nd half to beat us several times. Didn't y'all win 10 in a row in 2016 with him and score 44 points in a playoff game where he had 378 yards 4  TDs and 0 ints?

2. Fans of a team usually sour on their QB after a few years seeing every mistake he makes longing for the kid that hasn't played because he hasn't made any blunders yet and has miles and miles of upside. That's you now. People here wanted to bench Kelly for Frank.

3. It's not totally up to Alex. KC can trade him wherever they want unless there's some no trade clause I'm Not aware of.

4. 17 mil is not big QB  money and the franchise tag is available.

5. Glennon or McCown? Really? Why would we want one of those schmucks just to try to save a few Benjamins? We're trying to win. Glennon makes 15 mil and belongs to DA Bears. Would require some kind of a trade too.

I'd give a second or the 1st if that's what it takes. We're far from the only team looking for a QB this year. Its the most important position. Supply and Demand. Don't cheap Charlie it IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I am generally of the opinion that bringing Alex Smith on board and drafting a QB high would be a smart move. I think Alex Smith is a good quarterback and would have us in the playoffs until a young QB is ready to go. 

I was talking with my buddy, and he thinks Smith will be traded for a 1st. That seems like a heck of a price to pay, but I think he might be in more demand than we think. I originally thought (probably too optimistically) that I'd give up a 3rd. I think I could talk myself into a 2nd for him if that's what it took. 

1) What do you guys think he will be traded for? 2) Are you willing to make that deal?

Not that I would be against having Smith as our QB next year, but I absolutely don't want to give up a high pick for him.  At the end of the day, I don't see him as enough of an upgrade to give up any kind of significant asset for him.  

If the Chiefs want a 1st, 2nd or 3rd...then PASS.  We can get a veteran in FA that is close enough to what we would get without having to trade a pick to KC.  Hell, I would rather keep Tyrod and draft a QB then use a pick to get Smith thats any higher than 4th rounder.  

Why give up a high draft asset to acquire a QB you are going to immediately try and replace anyway?  Makes no sense to give up anything higher than a 4th for Smith in a year where we already have TT who can keep the seat warm for a rookier and a deeper than normal veteran QB FA pool to find a seat warmer for a rookie we are going to draft.

Again, wouldnt hate Smith here...I would just hate giving up any of our higher picks for him considering we would be trading for a guy we already know isnt likely the long term solution.

If you give up a 2nd rounder you probably feel like you have up too much

If you give up a 3rd rounder you probably feel okay.

If you give up a 4th rounder you probably feel you got the better end of the deal

My personal prediction:  Bills give up Rams 2nd round pick & Jaguars 5th round pick for Alex Smith & KCs 5th round pick.

• Like (+1) 2