What would it (realistically) take to get Alex Smith?

NickelCity

9 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Everyone realizes that he was the highest rated QB in the NFL this year right? Higher than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, all of them. A 4th?, A 3rd? I think it's going to be more than that.

He had the best year of his career, yes. He's also the QB that went something like 19 straight games without a TD pass to a WR. He's a 1 year rental version of Case Keenum, but older and with even more mediocrity in his past.

EDIT: Looked it up, 21 straight games without a TD pass to a WR. I'd love to see this place even a quarter of the way through that streak...

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He had the best year of his career, yes. He's also the QB that went something like 19 straight games without a TD pass to a WR. He's a 1 year rental version of Case Keenum, but older and with even more mediocrity in his past.

My opinion of him is that he would be an excellent fit here. I seem to think more of his skills than most but I believe he is vastly superior to Case Keenum.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat if it's a third or less. 2nd I gotta think about it. Yeah the playoff record ain't great.

My Giants fan buddy was trying to tell me it would take one first and one second this year, and a second next year. I told him he was being a real mcadoo.

This is pretty much how I feel, although it's interesting...we have a tendency to think we can get players for less than we actually can. Fans of other teams give way different answers to what Smith will trade for compared to Bills fans I've talked to. 

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

I am generally of the opinion that bringing Alex Smith on board and drafting a QB high would be a smart move. I think Alex Smith is a good quarterback and would have us in the playoffs until a young QB is ready to go. 

I was talking with my buddy, and he thinks Smith will be traded for a 1st. That seems like a heck of a price to pay, but I think he might be in more demand than we think. I originally thought (probably too optimistically) that I'd give up a 3rd. I think I could talk myself into a 2nd for him if that's what it took. 

1) What do you guys think he will be traded for? 2) Are you willing to make that deal?

I am on board with you that if we can pry Alex Smith out of KC (and that should be doable) that we should.  I would go as high as a 2nd rounder and I think that is a good idea to have a rich offer as I think multiple teams will be after him and we need to be the winner.  It is a rent-a-player deal as he only has 1 year on his contract, but all that takes is money to solve.  I would have Peterman behind him to learn from him.  We coan then use our draft choices on O & D lineman.  

Someone, perhaps the Bills, will trade a 2nd for him. But there are a few things - like Tyrod, the Chiefs owe him a bonus if he is on the roster sometime in early March but it is"only" $2 million. So, I am sure they would like to trade him before then. Next, Bradford and either Keenum or Bridgewater will be free agents. These players are "free" (no trade needed).

Same may go for Cousins. Really cheap-ish signees could be Fitzpatrick or McCown. Those two will still cost you~ $10 million however!  Alex Smith will cost $17.5 million if Acquired in early March and $15.5 if acquired after March. 

4 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I am on board with you that if we can pry Alex Smith out of KC (and that should be doable) that we should.  I would go as high as a 2nd rounder and I think that is a good idea to have a rich offer as I think multiple teams will be after him and we need to be the winner.  It is a rent-a-player deal as he only has 1 year on his contract, but all that takes is money to solve.  I would have Peterman behind him to learn from him.  We coan then use our draft choices on O & D lineman.  

No - even if Bills acquire Smith they will draft a QB in round 1. THIS IS THE YEAR TO DRAFT A FRANCHISE QB. Period.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

(1) I feel like I've heard a 3rd a lot. 

(2) The most I'd give up is a 4th I think. Edit: To clarify, that would be in a scenario where I want to do that. I don't

I'm not 100% against Smith in Buffalo.  I'd take him for a year or two. I have heard opinions from a few people that he is slightly better than Tyrod. I'd take that.

The question is, for what? a 4th rounder or lower.  Picks in rounds 1-3 I expect contributions from in year 1.  a 4th..not so much..so that is what I'd give up for Smith.

Anything more than a 4th....let whoever is offering that take him.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don't understand the comp. No way u talking bout 4000yd QB . What's Tyrod #s this yr 2600yds . That's 50% more production.  Smith is twice the QB Taylor is. 

Lets see Alex smith put up those numbers for a second year and then i will agree with you. If you look at his numbers every other year but this year and they are just as pedestrian as Taylor's. While I understand the point you are trying to make, I have to respectfully disagree.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not 100% against Smith in Buffalo.  I'd take him for a year or two. I have heard opinions from a few people that he is slightly better than Tyrod. I'd take that.

The question is, for what? a 4th rounder or lower.  Picks in rounds 1-3 I expect contributions from in year 1.  a 4th..not so much..so that is what I'd give up for Smith.

Anything more than a 4th....let whoever is offering that take him.

I guess I fall right around where you do. If we traded our 4th for him, then I would cry neither tears of sadness nor of joy. 

25 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

perhaps a swap of picks that allows KC to save face and get a second.....with a 4th rounder coming back?

Andy owes Mcd a favor. I'm pretty sure Houston was on line #2 when we were on the board at #10 and any common man would have taken Houston pk rather then a loaded Kc teams pk for the 2018 draft. Mcd made a deal with his buddy and in turn it cost us the 4th overall pk in this draft.  Andy should send us Alex for a mid rd pk.

17 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Lets see Alex smith put up those numbers for a second year and then i will agree with you. If you look at his numbers every other year but this year and they are just as pedestrian as Taylor's. While I understand the point you are trying to make, I have to respectfully disagree.

Lets see Tyrod 8800yds the last 3 yrs. Alex Smith 11,000. There not the same player. A Smith has his flaws but he's a proven winner . Mof he has the 2nd or 1st most wins of any QB since 2011.  Yes that hasnt translated to playoff success but his arrow is pointing up coming off a career yr at age 32 while it seems like Tyrod going bkwards. Its a very unfair comparison. 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

51 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

Someone, perhaps the Bills, will trade a 2nd for him. But there are a few things - like Tyrod, the Chiefs owe him a bonus if he is on the roster sometime in early March but it is"only" $2 million. So, I am sure they would like to trade him before then. Next, Bradford and either Keenum or Bridgewater will be free agents. These players are "free" (no trade needed).

Same may go for Cousins. Really cheap-ish signees could be Fitzpatrick or McCown. Those two will still cost you~ $10 million however!  Alex Smith will cost $17.5 million if Acquired in early March and $15.5 if acquired after March. 

You are forgetting one thing: free agents do not want to come to Buffalo.

Look at Jeremy Maclin from last year. He chose Baltimore, a superior playoff team, over us, even though his friend Shady was here.

Look at Anquan Boldin. He had enough sense to retire in the pre-season last year than play for a losing team.

Alex Smith will take a 1st, maybe 2nd. The precedent has already been set: in 2002 some team was stupid enough to trade a 1st to the Patriots for an aging Drew Deadslow. AlexSmith > Drew Deadslow. 

Edited by mileena

37 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

The TD:INT numbers are similar but Smith throws for a lot more passing yards. Over the last 3 years he's had 3465, 3502, and 4042. Over that span Taylor had 3035, 3023, and 2799. They've also been trending in opposite directions.

11 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The TD:INT numbers are similar but Smith throws for a lot more passing yards. Over the last 3 years he's had 3465, 3502, and 4042. Over that span Taylor had 3035, 3023, and 2799. They've also been trending in opposite directions.

Plus the completion percentage is no where near the same with Alex at around 65 percent and Tyrod 60. Ypa Tyrod, 8, 6.9 & 6.7. Alex 7.2, 7.4 & 8 . 

Alex is trending up while Tyrod down. In almost every category 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers
  • Like (+1) 1

I know some Bills fans think going from Tyrod to Smith is a lateral move but I disagree. 

I think Smith is quite a bit better than Tyrod and would absolutely be an upgrade. 

He's a very smart QB. Know his defensive coverages, can read the (full) field well, find his open receivers, check into the right plays. He's accurate, similar to Tyrod in not turning the ball over. 

I think hed he'd be a great veteran QB to have around to help develop a rookie, and he's more than good enough to keep that rookie off the field for a couple/few years. 

Id give up similar compensation to what they gave up for Benjamin - 3rd and 5th/6th. Not sure if that'll be enough though with all the QB desperate teams.  

Id probably even consider a 2nd if that was the Bills only option for an upgrade at the QB position. Like If it came down to either Tyrod next year or Smith for a 2nd, I'd probably pull the trigger on Smith. 

• Like (+1) 3