What would it (realistically) take to get Alex Smith?

NickelCity

I am generally of the opinion that bringing Alex Smith on board and drafting a QB high would be a smart move. I think Alex Smith is a good quarterback and would have us in the playoffs until a young QB is ready to go. 

I was talking with my buddy, and he thinks Smith will be traded for a 1st. That seems like a heck of a price to pay, but I think he might be in more demand than we think. I originally thought (probably too optimistically) that I'd give up a 3rd. I think I could talk myself into a 2nd for him if that's what it took. 

1) What do you guys think he will be traded for? 2) Are you willing to make that deal?

Under normal circumstances I'd say he's worth a 3rd. In this case, he's a 1 year, $17M rental. 4th at best unless the deal includes an extension. I might be prone to offering a 2019 conditional pick based on starts, performance, or a playoff appearance. Something like a 2019 4th, that can become a 3rd if he starts a playoff game for us, which becomes a 2nd if he starts in a conference championship game.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It'll take at LEAST a 2nd. 

Hell, the Vikings traded a 1st and 4th for Bradford...and Smith is better, stays healthy, and more consistent than him. 

Smith isn't exactly "young," but he's still only 33, and as we've seen QB's play at a high level for quite a while longer these days.  To put that in perspective, Drew Brees is 39... so imagine if we had Drew Brees from age 33-39. That's a LOT of good/great seasons from that age onward. Smith could potentially play until he's 39 as well, so there's still SOME upside, even if he isn't intended to be the long term answer.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

i'd rather have tyrod for nothing

I'd rather have a competent offense to at least give some semblance of help to our very good defense.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It'll take at LEAST a 2nd. 

Hell, the Vikings traded a 1st and 4th for Bradford...and Smith is better, stays healthy, and more consistent than him. 

Smith isn't exactly "young," but he's still only 33, and as we've seen QB's play at a high level for quite a while longer these days.  To put that in perspective, Drew Brees is 39... so imagine if we had Drew Brees from age 33-39. That's a LOT of good/great seasons from that age onward. Smith could potentially play until he's 39 as well, so there's still SOME upside, even if he isn't intended to be the long term answer.

I'd rather have a competent offense to at least give some semblance of help to our very good defense.

this I like