Why not Sam Bradford??

bills6969

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Right.

I have 2 problems with Sam. His knees. Both of them.

I have another big problem with him and its that hes just not very good even if he is healthy, which is rarely.

6 minutes ago, mileena said:

Because no free agent in their right mind comes to Buffalo. Look at Jeremy Maclin, Anquan Boldin, etc.

That's a pretty terrible example considering one of those guys DID sign with Buffalo and went on to have an excellent year in social activism.

50 minutes ago, Herb62 said:

He sat out 6 games with a bone bruise.  I say get Trevor Simieon and hope Peterman beats him out and sit a second round QB from this draft.  If they both stink, that second round pick has a year under his belt and we have hop in 2019.  Then rinse and repeat.

.....poor Sam is a no....like the kid, but he's damaged goods.....Smith may or may not be in the mix.....he has one year left at $17 mil and rumors are Andy wants a 2nd......do you rent him for a 2nd or offer a 3rd contingent upon him agreeing to a one year extension?....you'd need two years forr him to mentor the 1st round QB pick and Peterman.....Stanton may not be a bad vet option as a UFA coming off 2 years, $6.5 mil ($4.5 mil was guaranteed) with 'Zona...may not want to stay with Bruce gone....Lions took him in the 2nd out of MSU....he's 33 and has more game day experience than Siemian or McCarron....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Because he is always hurt and he isn't that good when he isn't hurt.

he does get hurt but when he plays he is good.  check out his 2016 season.    After watching Tyrod play for three years Bradford will seem like Johnny u    

1 hour ago, mileena said:

Because no free agent in their right mind comes to Buffalo. Look at Jeremy Maclin, Anquan Boldin, etc.

they came even at the Ralph era when the organization was a bit of a mess.   With the new deep pocket owners who and committed to doing things the right way players will come.  You don't want elite free agents anyway they usually are not worth the money.   The mid range guys with upside is the way to go , Hyde and Poyer come to mind 

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

He also had a serious knee injury in college.  That said (and I'm dreaming), if we can pull something off and draft one of the stud rookie quarterbacks and Bradford would come cheap. welcome to the show and bring the kid along.  If Bradford can stay healthy for awhile and mentor the kid, why not?  Again, one can dream can't they?

No, no, that was a serious shoulder injury

The problem with the "mentor the kid" is the "if he can stay healthy" conditional.

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Smith may or may not be in the mix.....he has one year left at $17 mil and rumors are Andy wants a 2nd......do you rent him for a 2nd or offer a 3rd contingent upon him agreeing to a one year extension?....you'd need two years forr him to mentor the 1st round QB pick and Peterman

(I had an involuntary shudder when I read "Peterman".  It's not that I take an extreme view that he's trash or something, it's just that unless he somehow takes a miracle leap, I don't want to read anything implying he's in the mix as a long term starter)

Smith is an interesting question.  KC has to somehow shed $8M in cap before the start of the league year, because they're $8M in the red right now.

Trading Smith puts them instantly $8M in the black.  So does cutting him.  Both cost $3.6M in dead cap.

Their other top salaried players would leave big holes to fill, are already signed through 2020 or 2021, and carry significant dead cap hits.  Whereas with Smith, you have the rookie QB you stalked for years waiting to take Smith's place.

So the obvious move is trade him, and if you can't trade him cut him.

The game of "chicken" for teams who might be interested is, do you want to trade a bit more to KC so you don't have to negotiate with a FA Smith?  Or do you want to wait and see if KC cuts him loose and perhaps be able to sign him for less?

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, no, that was a serious shoulder injury

The problem with the "mentor the kid" is the "if he can stay healthy" conditional.

(I had an involuntary shudder when I read "Peterman".  It's not that I take an extreme view that he's trash or something, it's just that unless he somehow takes a miracle leap, I don't want to read anything implying he's in the mix as a long term starter)

Smith is an interesting question.  KC has to somehow shed $8M in cap before the start of the league year, because they're $8M in the red right now.

Trading Smith puts them instantly $8M in the black.  So does cutting him.  Both cost $3.6M in dead cap.

Their other top salaried players would leave big holes to fill, are already signed through 2020 or 2021, and carry significant dead cap hits.  Whereas with Smith, you have the rookie QB you stalked for years waiting to take Smith's place.

So the obvious move is trade him, and if you can't trade him cut him.

The game of "chicken" for teams who might be interested is, do you want to trade a bit more to KC so you don't have to negotiate with a FA Smith?  Or do you want to wait and see if KC cuts him loose and perhaps be able to sign him for less?

.....the conundrum of the $64,000 dollar question.......or $17 mil in the case of Alex.....anything more than a 2nd is too much IMO...so if no one year extension can be negotiated (probably most would have to be guaranteed), do you rent him and hope about 2019?......keep in mind with crazy money out there, trying to logically come to some type of conclusion or amenable solution is probably out the window.....maybe a Stanton type, 'Zona UFA coming off 2 year, $6.5 mil deal becomes a more plausible option as at least a vet presence if Alex generates a bidding war......just a thought for alternative openers...........

I'd be careful with Bradford and Keenum as working with Shurmur seems to bring out the best in them.  Nick Foles threw 27 TD's and 2 INT's under Chip Kelly and Shurmur.  Bradford's best years came with Shurmur on the sideline.

Edited by Doc Brown

7 hours ago, Herb62 said:

He sat out 6 games with a bone bruise.  I say get Trevor Simieon and hope Peterman beats him out and sit a second round QB from this draft.  If they both stink, that second round pick has a year under his belt and we have hop in 2019.  Then rinse and repeat.

Do you like losing or something?

Did you see those 2 play this year?     

Coach McDermott wants to win AND rebuild. I cant see him signing onto something like this . we're the defending 6th seed in 2018. The woe is Me we need a 3 year rebuilding plan days are over.

I know it's a tough transition for some of us.

Edited by reddogblitz