Why not Sam Bradford??

bills6969

Just now, matter2003 said:

If by playing pretty well you mean completing a lot of passes because you constanty check down on 3rd and long for an easy 5 yards and then punt, then yes.

I watched a lot of the Vikings that year.  They may have fielded the worst offensive line I have ever seen.  Seriously.  Sam took a beating, I was impressed with his season.

I would be ok with Bradford on a two year deal with the Bills drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Bradford has had injury issues but it doesnt mean it will keep happening......doesnt mean it wont either. Bradford is miles ahead of Taylor as far as being a passer. In a QB friendly system with protection, Bradford can light it up. He set the NFL record for completion percentage with just over 71% for the season in 2016. 9 games that season he threw for over 250 yards. One game almost 400 yards. I would rather have a QB that is comfortable moving around in the pocket and that can throw accurately rather than an elite athlete that will run instead of throwing the ball away. Alex Smith would also be a good choice for two years but he isnt a free agent. I would be ok with the Bills signing Cousins long term but I wouldnt love it. 

41 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Did you really even ask "why not Sam Bradford?"

There's one OBVIOUS reason, and nobody has to explain it to you at all.

Injuries. That's it. Without discussing a single other aspect of his career, INJURIES are the #1 answer to "why not?"

- 2011: INJURED Missed 6 games

- 2013: INJURED Missed 9 games

- 2015: INJURED Missed 2 games

- 2017: INJURED Missed 14 games

He's only played a full season twice in 7 years. Not a good track record.

Looks like he's good in even years. 2018...?

Seriously, though, I'd rather not go with Bradford.

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Much rather go after Bradford than cousins.  I feel Vikes are going to stick with Keenum for the long run.

Depends how much he costs you. I certainly wouldn't give him a long term deal. Talk about a guy who can't stay on the field!

22 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I watched a lot of the Vikings that year.  They may have fielded the worst offensive line I have ever seen.  Seriously.  Sam took a beating, I was impressed with his season.

Must not have watched many Seahawk games last year then

I read here that some people want a FA QB and keep our picks. I'm of the opposite opinion. I'd trade picks (within reason of course) and draft a quality QB. The money saved on a FA QB, could be used to bring in quality FAs across the board. $20-25 mill for Cousins, think how many quality FAs we could bring in with that money. And these would be known, NFL quality players, not untested rookies.  

I'd rather be set at the QB position for 10-15 years. That means drafting our guy. And yes, I know, drafting QBs is inherently risky. But we're set up pretty well to do it this year.  

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Much rather go after Bradford than cousins.  I feel Vikes are going to stick with Keenum for the long run.

Yuck!

You want a QB who literally can't stay on the field because he's an injury away from just retiring?

Talent wise, sure.  But Bradford can't stay on the field.  Get a guy who's durable, please.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In 2016, he played very well for the Vikes.  In fact, he had a career year - in his 2nd full season since 2012. 

Then he went out for good after injuring his knee after 2 games in 2017 - the same injury that cost him half a season in 2013, then reinjured in preseason and out for all of 2014.

It's not like it was a fluke and unlikely to happen again.  One time is an occurrence, twice is a concern, and three times is a pattern spelling out "can't count on this guy at QB"

Bingo. No matter how much POTENTIAL he has, the risk is too high. If they could sign him to compete while also having a real contingency plan in case of injury, sure. But paying big money and signing him as the unquestionable starter is an absolute NO.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please stop.  Please, please stop. 

Mods, can the next person who proposes we go after Bradford lose posting privileges until they can correctly recite Bradford's injury history?

The man's been injured 4 out of his 7 NFL seasons.  He's been injured on, like, the first dropback in a preseason game.  He doesn't have a knee left.

Yes, he can play QB in the NFL successfully.  Yes, when he's healthy he's a better QB than Taylor.  Than many.  But that's a huge conditional.

No, you can't count on him for 2 games, much less 4 or 5.  That disqualifies him as a backup.

Cousins can play QB at least as well as Bradford and he's durable.

Please stop.

He also had a serious knee injury in college.  That said (and I'm dreaming), if we can pull something off and draft one of the stud rookie quarterbacks and Bradford would come cheap. welcome to the show and bring the kid along.  If Bradford can stay healthy for awhile and mentor the kid, why not?  Again, one can dream can't they?

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Because no free agent in their right mind comes to Buffalo. Look at Jeremy Maclin, Anquan Boldin, etc.

He sat out 6 games with a bone bruise.  I say get Trevor Simieon and hope Peterman beats him out and sit a second round QB from this draft.  If they both stink, that second round pick has a year under his belt and we have hop in 2019.  Then rinse and repeat.