Why not Sam Bradford??

bills6969

People get injured a lot until they don’t.  Remember when Watkins was glass and couldn’t stay on the field?

I would love to see us go after Bradford.  He has more potential than Smith or Cousins.  I hope I don’t lose posting privileges for this renegade opinion.

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Did you really even ask "why not Sam Bradford?"

There's one OBVIOUS reason, and nobody has to explain it to you at all.

Injuries. That's it. Without discussing a single other aspect of his career, INJURIES are the #1 answer to "why not?"

- 2011: INJURED Missed 6 games

- 2013: INJURED Missed 9 games

- 2015: INJURED Missed 2 games

- 2017: INJURED Missed 14 games

He's only played a full season twice in 7 years. Not a good track record.

Hey but this year will be an even year so he should be fine.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The hurt part may be true but the fact that you say he isn't good when healthy just isn't true.... He has 101 TD passes to 57 INT, a career completion % of 62.5, when completely healthy hasn't thrown for under 3,700 yards. I've never heard any rumors how he won't help rookies, in fact there is an article saying how he helped Wentz before being traded to Minny. https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/before-heading-to-minnesota-bradford-helped-wentz-in-philly-102016, I think he'd be a good mentor to the rookie we select in round 1 and I don't think he'll break the bank imo.

He averaged under 7 ypa which is terrible in the NFL.  

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Four.  You missed 2014, where he was out for 100% of the season.  Four seasons of 10 games or less, out of 8 in the NFL.

good catch I totally missed the chronological missed year as it didn't show up in the stats I was researching

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Injuries.  He is a pretty good Qb he just cant stay healthy.  This is what happened when they drafted Ej.  They took a Qb who wasnt polished and signed Keven Kolb.  kolb got eaten by the mat monster and all was left was for Ej to rush into starting.  That could happen with Bradford.  Worst thing to happen would be for a Qb to lose a Qb battle than for you to go back to him.

"Like a mat over troubled water......."    

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Didn't he play pretty well, and play the entire season last year?

Q: Why is a dollar bill better than Sam Bradford?

A: You can get four quarters from a dollar bill.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's not like there is a plethora of great options.  No one is advocating giving the guy a big contract or anything.  I think the potential upside is worth the risk. 

The point is, you only have so many spots on the roster. 

The backup has to be someone you can count on to be durable enough to play in preseason, on the scout team, and a couple games while the starter is out.

What is there in Sam Bradford's injury history that leads you to believe he fits that description?

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's as durable as Marquise Goodwin (pre SF!) and makes Trent Edwards looks like Brett Farve.

hes fine but you could never be happy with him as your starter.  Also, it's never great when Case Keenum is an upgrade.

He's less durable than Marquise Goodwin pre-SF and he's a pretty good QB when healthy  - a better QB than Trent Edwards

But the fundamental point is sound.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

32 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Disagree. "WHEN" Bradford is healthy he is an above average QB with very good accuracy.

Unfortunately the best ability is availability and Sam is about as fragile as peanut brittle. Wouldn't mind it but got to have a competent back up and a promising draft pick in the wings.

He also will check the ball down on 3rd and 8 for 4 yards constantly rather than attempting to get the first down. Go ask Viking fans how much they liked him.  All he did there was throw checkdowns..probably to attempt to avoid another injury by holding onto the ball.

Its not always about stats. If you dont know the context of the stat its meaningless.

If he throws 2 yard passes every time he throws the ball he'd set the completion percentage record. But so what? That isn't going to actually help you win games.

Edited by matter2003

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He averaged under 7 ypa which is terrible in the NFL.  

Under 7 ypa is a target missed this year by a number of starting QB who are well-thought of, including Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton etc.

Be that as it may, Bradford has thrown >= 7 AY/A since moving to Philly and has improved as a QB in other ways.

Unfortunately durability, which is important, is not one of those ways.

37 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

All the Bills would be asking for is to get a quality free agent QB who can hold the fort down for 4-5 weeks till the 1st round rookie QB pick would be comfortable in taking over. Because in general, 1st round QBs just don't sit their whole rookie season. This is why Bradford on a one year contract would probably be one of the best options for the Bills.

Well he made it through 1 week last year. So I guess theyd need to sign him and then another back up.

45 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Didn't he play pretty well, and play the entire season last year?

If by 1 game you mean the entire season then yes.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Under 7 ypa is a target missed this year by a number of starting QB who are well-thought of, including Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton etc.

Be that as it may, Bradford has thrown >= 7 AY/A since moving to Philly and has improved as a QB in other ways.

I mean the shoulder injury from college doesn't seem to be an issue.  it's just the knee.  He tore it in 2013, then again in 2014 - and missed 15 games this year with issues on the same knee.  Not sure if it was torn again or what

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Viking fans hated him because he'd make the safe throw on 3rd down which led to a punt more times than attempt to get a first down.

Guess its pretty easy to have good stats when the defense is giving you a free 5 yards on 3rd and 8 and you take it frequently.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Aren't we still in the current league year?  By last year, I mean the previous league year.

If by playing pretty well you mean completing a lot of passes because you constanty check down on 3rd and long for an easy 5 yards and then punt, then yes.