Why not Sam Bradford??

bills6969

6 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Bradford is attached to Shurmur at the hip.  He might leave for a payday.  Are we going to give Bradford a payday?

A payday? Hasn't he made a large pile of money already in his career?  Not to say he doesn't want more, but if I recall, he was one of the last big rookie contract QB's. Pretty sure he's already made over $100 million in his career, which certainly does not match his production.

13 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

No he played 2 games for the Vikings before hurting his knee and being placed on IR

That was this year. I think he meant 2016. 

Bradford played 15 games for Minnesota and had a pretty damn good season. 

71% completion percentage, almost 3800yds, 20 TDs to 5 INT. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Did you really even ask "why not Sam Bradford?"

There's one OBVIOUS reason, and nobody has to explain it to you at all.

Injuries. That's it. Without discussing a single other aspect of his career, INJURIES are the #1 answer to "why not?"

- 2011: INJURED Missed 6 games

- 2013: INJURED Missed 9 games

- 2015: INJURED Missed 2 games

- 2017: INJURED Missed 14 games

He's only played a full season twice in 7 years. Not a good track record.

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yes, that's what he did this year.  Looks like he played 15 games last year with 20 td's vs. 5 picks and a completion percentage of 71.6%.  They also had a horrid oline last year.

I think Sam is a great option as a bridge.

Not so much of a bridge, more like a rickety old plank across the water, that may or may not snap in half as you make your way across.  COULD get you safely to the other side or could drown your season half way through...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

No he played 2 games for the Vikings before hurting his knee and being placed on IR

In 2016, he played very well for the Vikes.  In fact, he had a career year - in his 2nd full season since 2012. 

Then he went out for good after injuring his knee after 2 games in 2017 - the same injury that cost him half a season in 2013, then reinjured in preseason and out for all of 2014.

It's not like it was a fluke and unlikely to happen again.  One time is an occurrence, twice is a concern, and three times is a pattern spelling out "can't count on this guy at QB"

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Did you really even ask "why not Sam Bradford?"

There's one OBVIOUS reason, and nobody has to explain it to you at all.

Injuries. That's it. Without discussing a single other aspect of his career, INJURIES are the #1 answer to "why not?"

- 2011: INJURED Missed 6 games

- 2013: INJURED Missed 9 games

- 2015: INJURED Missed 2 games

- 2017: INJURED Missed 14 games

He's only played a full season twice in 7 years. Not a good track record.

I also think he missed the entire 2014 season to injury (IIRC). 

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

technically that was 2017 and last year.. But yeah if you go back to 2016 he had a decent season.

In seven seasons he has 3 seasons of 10 games or less.. So that is the concern...

Four.  You missed 2014, where he was out for 100% of the season.  Four seasons of 10 games or less, out of 8 in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not so much of a bridge, more like a rickety old plank across the water, that may or may not snap in half as you make your way across.  COULD get you safely to the other side or could drown your season half way through...

It's not like there is a plethora of great options.  No one is advocating giving the guy a big contract or anything.  I think the potential upside is worth the risk. 

I'd be fine with Bradford as a veteran bridge QB. 

But the thing is, it seems like he is definitrly at a pretty high risk of getting hurt and missing time. 

Both his knees are terrible from what I've read. They said the MRI's of his knees are scary bad (I'm not sure if this is actually true or not, it's just what I've read). 

And if you draft a rookie that you truly don't want to play until he is ready, then Bradford may not be a good choice. 

He missed 8 games in 2013, missed the entire 2014 season. Then played 14 and 15 game in 2015 and 2016. Then only played 2 games in 2017 due to injury. 

In his 2 (almost) full seasons played recently, he was average at best in 2015 (19 TD's to 14 INT) and pretty damn good in 2016. 

So it's been a pretty mixed mixed bag with Bradford. He's been up and down in his play and missed significant time to injury. 

I would take a healthy bradford over Tyrod though, if those were my 2 choices. 

If it were Cousins vs Bradford, I'd take Cousins. 

If it were signing Cousins to a huge payday vs signing Bradford to a cheaper, shorter term deal and drafting one of the top 3 (ish) college QBs in the 1st... Then I may lean toward Bradford and a rookie. But I'd be ok with either. 

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Because he is always hurt and he isn't that good when he isn't hurt.

The hurt part may be true but the fact that you say he isn't good when healthy just isn't true.... He has 101 TD passes to 57 INT, a career completion % of 62.5, when completely healthy hasn't thrown for under 3,700 yards. I've never heard any rumors how he won't help rookies, in fact there is an article saying how he helped Wentz before being traded to Minny. https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/before-heading-to-minnesota-bradford-helped-wentz-in-philly-102016, I think he'd be a good mentor to the rookie we select in round 1 and I don't think he'll break the bank imo.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's not like there is a plethora of great options.  No one is advocating giving the guy a big contract or anything.  I think the potential upside is worth the risk. 

I would actually be ok with him as long as we had our potential "future franchise QB" on the roster at the same time.  If we had Bradford, or almost any of the other FA options out there, I still hope we draft someone to develop behind them.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That was this year. I think he meant 2016. 

Bradford played 15 games for Minnesota and had a pretty damn good season. 

71% completion percentage, almost 3800yds, 20 TDs to 5 INT. 

Yeah he meant 2016 not 2017

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

If we only want bradford as a bridge QB and to groom the young guy what difference does he make that he is injury prone?

Because if he happens to find some enticing looking mats during training camp then our groom starts right away instead of later in the season.