Everyone Talks Trade Up For QB, But What If....

H2o

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Eagles just called.  Fletcher Cox says "how do you like me now?"

Clay Matthews is on line 2

I would expect if they did that, it would be because they acquired a top-tier QB through FA and had a developmental QB they like later on.

As far as the specific player, I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion, but if you get a game-changing guy who can "QB" your defense for years or be the lynchstone of your DL, it may be worth it.

You are using the wrong example for the Eagles using a trade up maneuver and benefiting from it. The more persuasive example should have been the costly Eagle trade up to get Wentz. Another example from another team is the Rams trade up for Goff. Fletcher Cox and Clay Mathews are excellent players. But their impacts compared to the attained qbs pale in comparison.

The obvious key to making a costly move up for a qb is whether the qb you have your sights on is worth the cost. Is a lower projected qb acquired with a lower cost worth more than the higher projected qb taken with more assets? Those type of calculations (cost/benefit) are not easy issues to deal with but are decisions that the GM/HC must make.

There is a historical context with this hometown franchise. The Bills have not had an anchoring franchise qb for nearly a quarter century since the retirement of Jim Kelly. If now isn't the time to address the most important issue (qb position) that will determine success then when is it?  

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are using the wrong example for the Eagles using a trade up maneuver and benefiting from it. The more persuasive example should have been the costly Eagle trade up to get Wentz. Another example from another team is the Rams trade up for Goff. Fletcher Cox and Clay Mathews are excellent players. But their impacts compared to the attained qbs pale in comparison.

The obvious key to making a costly move up for a qb is whether the qb you have your sights on is worth the cost. Is a lower projected qb acquired with a lower cost worth more than the higher projected qb taken with more assets? Those type of calculations (cost/benefit) are not easy issues to deal with but are decisions that the GM/HC must make.

There is a historical context with this hometown franchise. The Bills have not had an anchoring franchise qb for nearly a quarter century since the retirement of Jim Kelly. If now isn't the time to address the most important issue (qb position) that will determine success then when is it?  

It's always the year after the current draft.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Since the subject is cases where it may have been justified to trade up for a QB, I'm using appropriate examples.  Examples involving QB would not be appropriate.  I also explicitly stated that to make sense, the assumption would be that the Bills had addressed their QB situation with a FA signing + 2-3 rnd developmental pick

Perhaps you should read and understand context before jumping in.

8 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

As I look at all the teams that traded up for a QB in the first round, the track record isn't all that great:

2016: Titans trade with Rams for Jared Goff

2016: Eagles trade with Browns for Carson Wentz

2014: Browns trade with Eagles for Johnny Manziel

2014: Vikings trade with Seahawks for Teddy Bridgewater

2012: Redskins trade with Rams for RG3

2011: Jags trade with Redskins for Blaine Gabbert

2010: Broncos trade with Ravens for Tim Tebow

2009: Jets trade with Browns for Mark Sanchez

2009: Bucs trade with Browns for Josh Freeman

2008: Ravens trade with Texans for Joe Flacco

2007: Browns trade with Cowboys for Brady Quinn

2006: Broncos trade with Rams for Jay Cutler

2004: Bills trade with Cowboys for JP Losman

As I look at these trades, I also notice that the Browns are GOD AWFUL with their decision making...

Really good post, thanks for putting this together.

As long as the Bills make what I see as a serious push for upgrading at QB, I leave what they do, to the professionals.  But it can't just be draft a dude.

I just wish all the people saying "it will cost too much to get Cousins" (assuming the Redskins DON'T franchise him) would consider the cost of NOT getting a good QB, and the fact that the draft is both 1) hit and miss 2) costly in terms of draft capital to trade up for a 'hit and miss' chance. 

Again, not pushing one or the other strategy.  It's up to the guys with full time jobs, scouting staffs, and reputations on the line to call it.  I just don't see the cost differential as that great if you factor in losing draft picks and the cost of FA dollars to sign good players instead of drafting, plus the risk it could all be for naught.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since the subject is cases where it may have been justified to trade up for a QB, I'm using appropriate examples.  Examples involving QB would not be appropriate.  I also explicitly stated that to make sense, the assumption would be that the Bills had addressed their QB situation with a FA signing + 2-3 rnd developmental pick

Perhaps you should read and understand context before jumping in.

You cited the Eagles and Cox as an example of a trade up scenario. I pointed out that the Eagle trade-up for Wentz was more impactful and meaningful. How is my response irrelevant to your response? It wasn't a criticism but simply an observation. It certainly was within the context of your response. 

If you want to get snippety that is your prerogative. If you believe that you are advancing a discussion with your irritable tone then that is also your prerogative.