Everyone Talks Trade Up For QB, But What If....

H2o

20 minutes ago, mob16151 said:

Really?? Aaron Maybin,and Erik Flowers say hello. Oh look over there it's Mike Williams,and Donte Whitner.......The list just keeps going on.

Yeah, really!

We gave up 2 first rounders for an underperforming player.  At least Maybin cost us only one.   

2 hours ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

too many holes to fill unless your moving up for a QB. Stay put and let the draft come to you. 

Yes.   One thing about drafting in the early 20's is there are people there who you never thought would fall.  Happened last year with guys like Peppers, Ramczyk, TreD etc.

Recently QB's like Derek Carr, Bridgewater, Garoppolo fell into the position where you could easily have grabbed them in the 20's, or traded back a dozen spots and still get them.  Obviously keep your options open, but there is no Andrew Luck in this draft, and I hate to see us burn two first rounders to get someone we really aren't sure of to begin with.

I love the wheeling and dealing for fun on draft day, but I'd love to see us stay put and hammer two solid back to back players on day one right at 21, 22.

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Cornelius Bennett says hello. Technically not a trade up but six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Not a trade up. And still the reason fora trade up is a LBer that played how many years ago?

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

JP Losman on line 3...

Right position it was a trade up for a QB wasnt it?

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not a trade up. And still the reason fora trade up is a LBer that played how many years ago?

Right position it was a trade up for a QB wasnt it?

It was. But not the right QB. That's the thing, if you trade up in the first it damn well better be for a player that can take your team to the next level. JP wasn't it. Sammy was not it. But it doesn't mean that if there is an absolute game changer you shouldn't trade up. A Julio Jones for instance. 

I'd love to stay put myself. Let the draft fall how it may. At 21 & 22 there's a good chance we come out with a QB and another possible impact player. 

I genuinely hate this idea.  And even if Smith ended up being the best LB in the league I would STILL hate this idea.

Trade up for a QB, make their picks at 21 & 22, or trade back and acquire more future draft capital.  I'd be fine with any/all of those. 

But if they traded down instead of selecting Watson or Mahomes last year so that they could package those extra picks the following year to draft a LB, it would be really difficult to try to support this team until Beane is gone.  

Like most people have said in here...............

Unless it's a QB, don't waste 4 blue chip picks in rounds one and two.

There is a long way to go in this draft process that hasn't even begun yet and don't count the Bills out of trading into the top 2 if they love Darnold like we were told they were. Obviously (my Marrone pun), the draft process will play itself out to see where the Bills will go.

I wouldn't want this team to kill their cap on QB (Cousins) who is an upgrade from Taylor (obviously, again, lol), but doesn't guarantee any type of success with him now and in the future. Cousins has had talented skill players to work with in Washington, but to no success.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

It's just a thought. I like Smith a lot as a player and I'm sure McDermott wants to find his Kuechley for this defense. I'm not saying I would trade up for him because I like Tegray Scales of Indiana almost as much and think he can be had @ 21 or 22. This is something I could see happening though if they really feel Smith is that important a piece of the defense so I threw it out there. :thumbsup:

Smith is my favorite player in the draft and honestly, when it comes to best players in the draft I think he's better than all of the QB's but we have too many holes to fill to be thinking about using that many assets on one player.

1 hour ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

It was. But not the right QB. That's the thing, if you trade up in the first it damn well better be for a player that can take your team to the next level. JP wasn't it. Sammy was not it. But it doesn't mean that if there is an absolute game changer you shouldn't trade up. A Julio Jones for instance. 

I'd love to stay put myself. Let the draft fall how it may. At 21 & 22 there's a good chance we come out with a QB and another possible impact player. 

Julio hasnt dont anything really for Atlanta has he???  Sure as heck isnt going to be some LBer to take your team to a Championship level 

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Julio hasnt dont anything really for Atlanta has he???  Sure as heck isnt going to be some LBer to take your team to a Championship level 

Yea, Julio has been a colossal flop. And Ray Lewis... definitely didn't propel a Baltimore championship. That was allllllllll former 1st rounder Trent Dilfer.:lol:

Edited by KelsaysLunchbox

We just throwing up names of people we like and wondering aloud if we could get them for 2 first rounders? Cause I'd venture to say we could get most non-QB players in the NFL if we did that. Hell, we could probably just trade those picks for Kuechly.

Edited by ndirish1978

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

We just throwing up names of people we like and wondering aloud if we could get them for 2 first rounders? Cause I'd venture to say we could get most players in the NFL if we did that. 

Maybe the Packers will take #s 21 and 22 for Rodgers??? 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Yea, Julio has been a colossal flop. And Ray Lewis... definitely didn't propel a Baltimore championship. That was allllllllll former 1st rounder Trent Dilfer.:lol:

Has Julio got Atalnta multiple championships?  Was Ray Lewis a trade up. 

Sorry no position justifies giving up multiple 1sts other than QB

5 hours ago, H2o said:

What if we package our two 1st Round picks to move up for Roquan Smith? The LB from Georgia, imo, is one the ELITE players in this draft. He would be the QB of the defense for the next 10 years. He goes sideline to sideline, has great instincts, can cover, and is a tackling machine. He's a not often found type of LB who would make an immediate impact for this team. Our Luke Kuechley. Here is a nice little write up and I think most of us here watched him in the CFP if nothing else this year. Would you be on board with this move?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/30/linebacker-roquan-smith-drives-georgias-defense/990880001/

He’s my favorite non qb prospect in the draft. That being said.  No, I wouldn’t trade up for him unless he skipper out of the top 13 or so.  If we could trade 21 and a 3rd, I’d do it.  Then I’d trade down from 22 and acquire as many picks as possible.  

If we don’t trade up for a QB I expect and hope that we trade down from 21 or 22.  We can hold a team ransom if we know they are looking for a certain player that we don’t necessarily really want him.  We can tell them we’re going to draft him if they don’t trade up to 21.  We have LOTS of holes.  The more picks the better.  Either trade up for the qb or trade down with at least one of the picks.  Maybe even 2.  I could see a scenario where we draft Mason Rudolph (ugh, I don’t want him in the least) or the best QB available then trade down with the other.