Everyone Talks Trade Up For QB, But What If....

H2o

What if we package our two 1st Round picks to move up for Roquan Smith? The LB from Georgia, imo, is one the ELITE players in this draft. He would be the QB of the defense for the next 10 years. He goes sideline to sideline, has great instincts, can cover, and is a tackling machine. He's a not often found type of LB who would make an immediate impact for this team. Our Luke Kuechley. Here is a nice little write up and I think most of us here watched him in the CFP if nothing else this year. Would you be on board with this move?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/30/linebacker-roquan-smith-drives-georgias-defense/990880001/

I think the Bills are very hot to draft a QB this year and this is a promising class. I think they like more than one guy and are prepared to move up. I don't think any of the teams ahead of Tampa Bay will be trading down and I think there will be more than one team looking to trade with them and probably for a QB - watch Arizona and maybe Washington. So it's possible that the QBs that the Bills most covet will not even be available. If that happens I could see the Bills moving up for Smith.

Of course everything has a price and I don't know just how desperate the Bills are to land their guy this year. And of course Cousins could change priorities on draft day. For example the jets are definitely upgrading the QB position this year. If they sign Cousins their spot may well be up for sale. Of course they wouldn't want to deal with us necessarily, especially if they had other suitors.

Edited by starrymessenger

8 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If we get cousins in FA then fine

On the contrary, I think, even more than his talent, that one of the most appealing things about signing Cousins is being able to use all of those five top-100 picks to fill out the rest of the roster. 

If we signed our QB, then we can afford to draft 5 of the BPA at HB/WR/OG/OT/DT/DE/LB/CB. 

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

NEVER EVER trade up again unless it is for a QB......or unless you are in the 3rd round or beyond and giving up a 7th or something for a couple spots.

The Eagles just called.  Fletcher Cox says "how do you like me now?"

Clay Matthews is on line 2

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

so we don't have a QB but we trade up for a position player?  Whaley approves

I would expect if they did that, it would be because they acquired a top-tier QB through FA and had a developmental QB they like later on.

As far as the specific player, I don't watch enough college football to have an opinion, but if you get a game-changing guy who can "QB" your defense for years or be the lynchstone of your DL, it may be worth it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

What if we package our two 1st Round picks to move up for Roquan Smith? The LB from Georgia, imo, is one the ELITE players in this draft. He would be the QB of the defense for the next 10 years. He goes sideline to sideline, has great instincts, can cover, and is a tackling machine. He's a not often found type of LB who would make an immediate impact for this team. Our Luke Kuechley. Here is a nice little write up and I think most of us here watched him in the CFP if nothing else this year. Would you be on board with this move?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/30/linebacker-roquan-smith-drives-georgias-defense/990880001/

Doug Whaley is that you?

• Like (+1) 2