Yes our D held Jags Offensive Juggernaut to 10 pts

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, Bortles' complete inability to hit the side of a barn from the inside held the Jags to 10 points.  He had multiple passes hit the ground 5 yards ahead of his receivers.

Do you really think he missed those throws by mistaking the grass for his receiver? I saw what you saw. He was off his game because of our defense. Coverage was good and the pass rush was effective, if only that it disrupted plays. A number of those passes thrown in to the turf were clearly due to this disruption. They were swing passes and short timing routes, if my memory proves accurate.

I really don't know what it is with Bortles, because he is clearly not a good QB, but to state that he in unable to hit the side of a barn, while he picked apart the Steelers, unprepared as they may have been, is the idiocy that you so often describe.

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Do you really think he missed those throws by mistaking the grass for his receiver? I saw what you saw. He was off his game because of our defense. Coverage was good and the pass rush was effective, if only that it disrupted plays. A number of those passes thrown in to the turf were clearly due to this disruption. They were swing passes and short timing routes, if my memory proves accurate.

I really don't know what it is with Bortles, because he is clearly not a good QB, but to state that he in unable to hit the side of a barn, while he picked apart the Steelers, unprepared as they may have been, is the idiocy that you so often describe.

bills d played really well..... bortles passing was awful though.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

So is he MORAL of the story of the Jags win that  you can win  with good WRs and a non franchise QB?

No it means you have a chance to win about half the time or every other game in scenario you describe.

That will get most coaches fired within 3 seasons because you will not win all 8 games you only "have a chance to win". This means your ceiling will be at best 7-9 year after year and more times than not you will win less than 7.

Edited by cba fan

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

totally agree. sometimes when i'm at a game its harder for me to soak in all the play of certain people on the field...... so by the middle of last week I mustered up the courage to watch game from my dvr. MY GOD WAS BORTLES BAD. plenty of open wr's and he's one hopping balls 5 to 10 yds away from them. it was awful. he hit those throws against pitt and it made them loosen up against the run quite a bit.

He's been wildly inconsistent his entire career.

He has always had streaks where he looked like a pro bowlers, alternated with looking like a dumpster fire.

He had a great stretch during the season where he put together like 4-5 great games in a row, which led to tons of sportswriter articles about whether or not bortles had "turned the corner" or "taken the leap"

I still wouldn't trust him further than I could throw him, but overall he seems to have learned a lot and improved significantly.

As with many talented but underachieving QBs, his greatest area of improvement must be learning to minimize his mistakes, and not just pour fuel on a fire if he is having a poor day.

10 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

1) I've seen Bortles play more often than just the wild card game.  That level of competence from him is the rule, rather than the exception.

2) Hyperbole, dumbass.  Learn it.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

But they didn't.  Which is the point.  

Ok, but it had nothing to do with the Bills defensive play or scheme.  Bortles was missing wide open guys that had open field in front of them.  I don't think the Bills D gets a trophy for that.

Like I said, the Bills D played well, but if this same game were to be played 10 times, average score would be Jags winning 20-10.

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I think this is the most telling thing of last weekend's games.   The Jags demolished Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh offensively and our D went down to Duval County the week prior (along with a lot of Bills Mafia support) and held the home team to 10 points and Blake Bortles ran more than Fornette who averaged 2.7 yards per carry against us. 

McDermott had our D sell out the pass to stop the run.  In what were apparently challenging winds, Bortles could not exploit what he was given, but he did manage to exploit it with his feet (and our guys are so polite they didn't make him pay for it like the Jags did to Taylor).

I believe the game-day conditions in Pittsburgh were better, but frankly, the Pittsburgh D just came out flat and unprepared.  If they'd come out psyched up with a plan to stop Fournette and put pressure on Bortles, they may have had better results. 

Bortles and the Jags O also had copious help from the Steelers offense in gifting them great field position.

Bottom line: Tomlin and the Steelers laid an egg, and they get a nice long off season to incubate it and see what they hatch.

43 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Ok, but it had nothing to do with the Bills defensive play or scheme.  Bortles was missing wide open guys that had open field in front of them.  I don't think the Bills D gets a trophy for that.

Like I said, the Bills D played well, but if this same game were to be played 10 times, average score would be Jags winning 20-10.

They put it on Bortles to perform because he's been very inconsistent, and it was smart.  Of course it had to do with our game plan and defense.

I'm pretty confident that with McCoach and Frazier our D is in good hands. We will continue to outperform our talent on that side of the ball IMO. However we all know there are two Bortles. We got the bad Bortles. Steelers got the other one. We stacked the box to stop LF and made Bortles beat us. He almost didn't. 

Romo talk about that directional wind in Jacksonville and said neither QB was adjusting for it. He pointed out the direction of the wind and said it explained why each qb was overthrowing to one side of the field and underthrowing on the other side of the field.

In contrast to Pittsburgh, relatively quiet day on the wind front.

2 hours ago, RobH063 said:

Have you ever heard the phrase "On any given Sunday"? With your logic, if Team A beats team B, and team B beats team C, then team A should always beat team C. It doesn't work that way.

I hate that logic. Team C possibly beating team A after losing to team B is what makes sports great

9 hours ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Mike Tomlin should be fired just for allowing Nathan Hackett to beat his defense.

So should Bills HC be fired then?

It is obvious what the difference is - the tarps are toxic to Jags offense.  Jags offense was poisoned in their own stadium with large portion of it filled with Bills fans and then went to Pittsburgh where many Steeler fans did not go to game and was successful.  Obviously the Steeler Terrible Towels came from France and were surrender flags.

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

In our game we focused on making Bortles beat us with his arm, and he showed the inconsistencies that have plagued him for years.  Too bad we didn't stop him running.

Yes, and also too bad we couldn't get any points on the board.

22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I like cheese puffs. 

This statement is relevant to this thread.

Not sure where you're going with this Jeremy ... I appreciate the other comments from the start of my thread ... but my point was apparently our gameplanning and defensive players stepped up and made the Jags pucker a lot more than the vaunted Steelers D at home a week later ... 48 hours later the Steelers fire their offensive coordinator .. go figure ... I like what Frazier and McD have done to our defense (which again shows the wreck of Rex in years prior).

I read alot about Bortles missing throws ... but don't some think that pressure from the D Line and tighter throwing windows from our secondary .. and fact the game was so close and he was fearful of turnovers .. maybe influenced some of his poor throws?  He was hit or sacked on one out of his three throws ... 2 sacks / 5 QB hits in 23 passing attempts (note Tyrod was 8 out of 38 in that time).

On 1/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, prissythecat said:

So is he MORAL of the story of the Jags win that  you can win  with good WRs and a non franchise QB?

Bortles is a top 5 pick and has done plenty this year. Still a work in progress. He stinks it up but also has had over 300 yard games(4 this season alone) and game winning drives. Let's see what he does in NE. I can see Bortles turning into the next ASmith with time. ASmith was a stinker in the beginning as well. Still not all that but better then what we have had.

Edited by xRUSHx