I hope last weekend finally kills the "you need a Franchise QB to be a contender" nonsense

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The man did throw for 4042 yards with 26 TDs, 5 INTs with a rating of 104.7. That Chiefs offense was 17th in passing attempts and yet 7th in yards, 10th in TDs, 2nd in INTs. They finished the season #6 in PF, #5 in yards. All this with three players on offense doing most of the heavy lifting, one WR in Tyreek Hill, one TE in Travis Kelce, and one RB in Kareem Hunt.

In the playoffs, TE Kelce went out in the first half and that left Smith with one WR to throw to and suddenly in this game, his OC decided to stop calling run plays. The #1 team in the NFL in rushing yards per attempt and #9 in rushing yards for some reason didn't rush the ball much. 16 rushing attempts for 69 yards in that playoff game.

Last season (2017) the Chiefs offense was #7 in passing yards, #9 in rushing yards, and their defense was #28 overall, #29th in passing allowed, #25th in rushing allowed. In that playoff game, the Chiefs defense allowed Tennessee 397 total yards of offense. 

Bottom line is the Chiefs had a star RB that rushed for 1327 yards during the regular season and then only gave him 11 attempts rushing for 42 yards in the game. That opportunistic Chiefs defense that was #2 in turnover differential at #15, only Baltimore was better at #17. The Chiefs defense stunk up the field in the second half allowing the Titans offense 19 points to a very mediocre QB and rush attack. It was more the lack of a run game and bad defense that lost that playoff game IMO. 

I would take QB Alex Smith any day over Tyrod Taylor!

I would take KC's offense any day over what the Bills tried to run this year. Reid is ahead of the curve when it comes to offense. I think he could pull similar numbers out of Tyrod if the roles were reversed. 3500 yds 25 TDs and under 10 INTs is definitely not out of the question. If you add rushing TDs, Tyrod could be a 30 and 10 guy.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I would take KC's offense any day over what the Bills tried to run this year. Reid is ahead of the curve when it comes to offense. I think he could pull similar numbers out of Tyrod if the roles were reversed. 3500 yds 25 TDs and under 10 INTs is definitely not out of the question. If you add rushing TDs, Tyrod could be a 30 and 10 guy.

The size/ height differential and higher wonderlic score puts A Smith in better position to succeed in any O vs Taylor who needs the O Taylor made to hide his weaknesses in my humble opinion.

Huge Taylor fan , but would be happy to see A Smith in a Bills uni... 

Edited by Figster

Yeah, one year out of decades of years really outs that assumption to bed.

Look at ALL the data, not just one cherry picked data point. Franchise QB's increase your chances at contending. There is no getting around that fact.

15 hours ago, Figster said:

I would consider A Smith to be a good upgrade to the Bills QB position and do not place as much emphasis on post season play as others might do and why I used him as an example.

thanks for the reply

....typical Reidism 'Fig.......when asked in his post game presser why the offense was humming in the 1st followed by THREE 1st downs and a total of 41 yards in the 2nd half, Andy responded, "I can't get into that right now"......why not Big Boy?......certainly must have been on Alex (COUGH).......we would need Alex for a minimum of two years to groom new 1st round QB pick and the Peterman kid.....the conundrums are speculation that Andy wants a 2nd and Smith has one year left on his deal @ $17 mil.......we can't rent him for a 2nd.....a 3rd and a deal in place for a one year guaranteed extension with an option for another year makes it a more workable situation IMO.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

"nonsense"

LOL

Ok, let's see who ends up winning. I'll bet on the ONE team with a real QB left in the tournament.

Careful.  Its not outside the realm of possibility that the Jags can beat the Pats.   They can generate constant pressure on the QB without blitzing and have very very good corners.   Also,  the guy who coached the Giants teams that beat Brady and the Pats in the Superbowl twice is running the show for the Jags .

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, one year out of decades of years really outs that assumption to bed.

Look at ALL the data, not just one cherry picked data point. Franchise QB's increase your chances at contending. There is no getting around that fact.

Let's just run down to the Quikee Mart and pick one up then.

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....typical Reedism 'Fig.......when asked in his post game presser why the offense was humming in the 1st followed by THREE 1st downs and a total of 41 yards in the 2nd half, Andy responded, "I can't get into that right now"......why not Big Boy?......certainly must have been on Alex (COUGH).......we would need Alex for a minimum of two years to groom new 1st round QB pick and the Peterman kid.....the conundrums are speculation that Andy wants a 2nd and Smith has one year left on his deal @ $17 mil.......we can't rent him for a 2nd.....a 3rd and a deal in place for a one year guaranteed extension with an option for another year makes it a more workable situation IMO.............

Franchise tag

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Careful.  Its not outside the realm of possibility that the Jags can beat the Pats.   They can generate constant pressure on the QB without blitzing and have very very good corners.   Also,  the guy who coached the Giants teams that beat Brady and the Pats in the Superbowl twice is running the show for the Jags .

Hey, I would be so happy if the Jags somehow pulled it off that I wouldn't argue on the Bills message board about the need for a QB for 2-3 weeks!

19 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Both teams ran WCO schemes and Reid took himself out of the play calling as the team improved later in the season after they had lost 5 straight.  In those later games the run calls went up and the pass calls went down.  Save for the bewildering playoff game. 

I like Tyrod Taylor and was hoping to see great improvement this last season and he didn't progress. The simple fact is that Alex Smith doesn't need to see a receiver wide open to throw the ball to him. Can be an accurate pocket passer with good ball placement and throws his receivers open. There is a real reason as to why he was #1 overall pick in 2005. 

Although Smith did have Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, Jimmy Raye in as many as his first five years as his developmental coaches. Sorta like TT. It wasn't until Jim Harbaugh took over as HC in 2011 and he hired Greg Roman as his OC, Geep Chryst QB coach that Alex Smith came into his own. Plus, that 2011 49er team had a top 5 defense and the offense was #3 in rushing attempts. A perfect way to develop a young QB.

Tyrod Taylor also had Greg Roman as his OC when he arrived in Buffalo and the kid excelled at times in Romans offense. Just not to the degree that Alex Smith had developed to. Their actual stats in their first year with Greg Roman are very similar. The thing is that Smith would actually win games that the team needed to come back from. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Bortles was better this year in the regular season and the post season 

Please stop 

We re splitting hairs here. Bortles was 12/23 for 87 yards, missed wide open guys and blew reads all day.  This is who he is. 

If you can contend for a Super Bowl with him, you can with Tyrod too. 

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We re splitting hairs here. Bortles was 12/23 for 87 yards, missed wide open guys and blew reads all day.  This is who he is. 

I don't think you can contend with either QB and the only reson Bortles is playing in an AFC championship game is because he somehow managed to do just enough for his team to win games. Bortles actually had some good games this last season in which he looked like a decent starting NFL QB and there were others where he looked like he didn't! 

While Bortles does suck just about as much as TT IMO, he somehow managed to throw 14 of 26 for 214 yards, 1 TD, no INTS. That no INTs is a big reason along with the fact that the Steeler defense had no sacks on him. 

Things should be different this week against the Patriots. Besides, to contend for a super bowl title you actually need to be in that game. I am rooting for the Jags to win though. 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't think you can contend with either QB and the only reson Bortles is playing in an AFC championship game is because he somehow managed to do just enough for his team to win games. Bortles actually had some good games this last season in which he looked like a decent starting NFL QB and there were others where he looked like he didn't! 

While Bortles does suck just about as much as TT IMO, he somehow managed to throw 14 of 26 for 214 yards, 1 TD, no INTS. That no INTs is a big reason along with the fact that the Steeler defense had no sacks on him. 

Things should be different this week against the Patriots. Besides, to contend for a super bowl title you actually need to be in that game. I am rooting for the Jags to win though. 

And that my friend is the point. You need a guy who does just enough and has a strong supporting cast, great defense and stud RB. The Bills are not that far away from being that, TT included 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And that my friend is the point. You need a guy who does just enough and has a strong supporting cast, great defense and stud RB. The Bills are not that far away from being that, TT included 

You, sir, are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. 

The simple truth is that if Peterman hadn't played so poorly in the first half of that Chargers game on the road he would still be starting, IMHO.  (Speaking of the Chargers I still don't get why the Bills had the tiebreaker over them when the Bills lost outright and had the same record.) Alas, Bortles did what it took to beat the Bills and Taylor didn't, as he had chances in the red zone.

Then like in many games this season Tyrod went invisible in the second half of that Jags playoff game as he has done in many, many games in his career. That and 3 points against Carolina, 3 points against the Patriots, 3 points against the Jags. 

The point is, this teams coach's don't believe in TT as much as some of the fans and I suspect he will no longer be a Buffalo Bill starting the 2018 season. To be honest I was hoping that Taylor would have taken some steps forward this season especially with the addition of a huge red zone target in KB. Part of this I blame the Bills OC Dennison and I suspect the coaches do too and such the reason Dennison is gone.  

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You, sir, are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. 

The simple truth is that if Peterman hadn't played so poorly in the first half of that Chargers game on the road he would still be starting, IMHO.  (Speaking of the Chargers I still don't get why the Bills had the tiebreaker over them when the Bills lost outright and had the same record.) Alas, Bortles did what it took to beat the Bills and Taylor didn't, as he had chances in the red zone.

Thats because it was a multi-team (3 or more) tie breaker.  Head to head is not used as criteria in that case

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You do know that Bortles has passed for 4,400+ with 35 TD's and 18 INT's in a season right? Taylor will never get to that level as a passer, I can't believe some people still think Taylor should be talked about or is in the same zip code as Bortles. I will be blown away if Taylor is even the starter on his new team next year.