Do you let your dog lick plates before the dishwasher?

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

My dog turned 9 the past July and still acts/gets around like a puppy.  I don't buy this crap, nor do I believe that I need to spend $20 on a bag of "healthy" dog food, when Beneful is just fine.

My dog once ate a small sock.  She didn't puke it up until about three weeks later.

Don't believe the hype.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My dog turned 9 the past July and still acts/gets around like a puppy.  I don't buy this crap, nor do I believe that I need to spend $20 on a bag of "healthy" dog food, when Beneful is just fine.

My dog once ate a small sock.  She didn't puke it up until about three weeks later.

Don't believe the hype.

I forgot, Gugny is a cheap bastard. ??

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Alcohol isn’t good for humans.

When I’m drinking a whiskey and she’s licking a plate, we both will look at each other and say “rehab is for quitters”

8 minutes ago, mead107 said:

He’s an angry cheap bastard.  I heard he tips the waitress with nickels and dimes.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, mead107 said:

This is true.

However, if I really believed that buying some overpriced organic food based on Internet babble would make my dog live a longer, healthier life ... a) I'd buy it and b) I'd regret getting the dog (for reasons beyond why I already regret it).

One of the people who told me that Beneful is "like poison," said goodbye to their pooch a lot sooner than I'll be saying goodbye to mine.

As far as licking the plate goes, I'm not giving her three adult-sized human food meals per day.  She's licking a !@#$ing plate.

It's not bad for the dog.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

nor do I believe that I need to spend $20 on a bag of "healthy" dog food, when Beneful is just fine.

1) Never on the plates..I hate dogs that beg or ever get used to human food. So i think it just easier from the time they are puppies they just learn no human food ever, that way their expectations never get raised. Plus i think it gross.

2) Damn, I wish I spent $20 on a bog of food. We get the Natural Balance stuff from Chewy, like $50 a bag. With 2 70lb+ dogs, that lasts a little under two weeks. I will say it did clear up the one dogs problems with his ears and butt!

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Never on the plates..I hate dogs that beg or ever get used to human food. So i think it just easier from the time they are puppies they just learn no human food ever, that way their expectations never get raised. Plus i think it gross.

2) Damn, I wish I spent $20 on a bog of food. We get the Natural Balance stuff from Chewy, like $50 a bag. With 2 70lb+ dogs, that lasts a little under two weeks. I will say it did clear up the one dogs problems with his ears and butt!

I pay about $15 for a 15 lb. bag of Beneful.  It lasts about a month.  Truth be told, when she was a puppy, we tried the expensive stuff and she hated it.  She's been eating Beneful ever since.

no.  no i don't.  then again, i have a lab, and we have to stop that mother !@#$er from eating anything at head level.  this past year, he ate 2 bags of double fudge milano cookies, (or something from the farm brand), a full apple pie that i accidentally left out, an entire plate of calamari, and countless dinners that we have made for our daughter.  the last thing he needs is to lick the plates.

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

it never hurt any of my dogs.  

Usually something cheesy, or broccoli, carrots and or rice. 

My dogs loved rice.  I'd tell them to come eat the maggots 

26 minutes ago, teef said:

no.  no i don't.  then again, i have a lab, and we have to stop that mother !@#$er from eating anything at head level.  this past year, he ate 2 bags of double fudge milano cookies, (or something from the farm brand), a full apple pie that i accidentally left out, an entire plate of calamari, and countless dinners that we have made for our daughter.  the last thing he needs is to lick the plates.

I had a Samoyed  that stole the last meatball off of my plate on the table when I left the room for 30 seconds ....  White dog red mouth ...

a few years back out Border Collie stole a small portion of ribs from my wifes plate 

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I pay about $15 for a 15 lb. bag of Beneful.  It lasts about a month.  Truth be told, when she was a puppy, we tried the expensive stuff and she hated it.  She's been eating Beneful ever since.

Beneful or IAMS 

16 minutes ago, teef said:

The majority of the world is starving and you're feeding your dog food that you give to a first date?   

Wife and I have had labs over the last 22 years....apparently, they have stomachs made of industrial strength teflon. Our dogs have eaten loafs of bread (with and without the bag), shoes (always one shoe from three different pairs so the remaining good shoes are worthless), bags of Hershey kisses (how they removed the foil is beyond me), sponge candy, and (my favorite incident) FIVE bacon wrapped filet mignon sitting on a cookie sheet on the counter waiting go on the grill.  Our dogs have been hit by my snowmobile, one was run over by my father in law's landscape trailer, and all of them have licked plates. These damn dogs are pretty friggin durable and all of them have lived to about 13 years old.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wife and I have had labs over the last 22 years....apparently, they have stomachs made of industrial strength teflon. Our dogs have eaten loafs of bread (with and without the bag), shoes (always one shoe from three different pairs so the remaining good shoes are worthless), bags of Hershey kisses (how they removed the foil is beyond me), sponge candy, and (my favorite incident) FIVE bacon wrapped filet mignon sitting on a cookie sheet on the counter waiting go on the grill.  Our dogs have been hit by my snowmobile, one was run over by my father in law's landscape trailer, and all of them have licked plates. These damn dogs are pretty friggin durable and all of them have lived to about 13 years old.

Your're an idiot for letting that happen

imo 

;):lol::lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Sounds like dog abuse to me.  Would you run over your wife with your snowmobile ????

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The majority of the world is starving and you're feeding your dog food that you give to a first date?   

i'm not purposely feeding him the food.  he's more of a food ninja.  you turn your head, and it's suddenly not there.  there's not even any real noise either.  the food is just gone.

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

labs are machines.  i know a vet fairly well, and she told me that labs are their biggest money maker.  our lab even ate one of those giant bottle of ibuprofen when he was a puppy.  we gave him peroxide which made him puke, and rushed him to the vet.  the vet let me know that it was more than likely that his kidneys would be damaged beyond repair, and even though he was under their care, they may check on him to find him passed away.  after a couple of days in the hospital, he walked out of that place like a champ.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

That article is the biggest crock of you know what.  That chicken bone thing? Probably good advice for some small and medium breeds, but I have a 120lb Akita that eats anything that moves.  So let's say I don't give her chicken bones. What then? Do I go pry the possum, skunk, rabbit, cat, vole, mole, etc. carcass from her mouth prior to her consuming it in it's entirety (albeit in bite size, ripped from the carcass, portions?)

Also, I have a Rat Terrier that is 15 years old and still the fastest thing I have ever seen on four legs. She cleans off plates, and if the grease and fat are hurting her you would never know it.  She is a svelt, muscular, 15 year old dog.  She loves carrots so much that she prefers a carrot over a milk bone. I don't let her eat chicken bones, but I do give her pork bones and She cleans it down to a polished bone and then leaves it for lard ass (akita) who literally destroys pork bones like they are milk bones.

Our local vet is primarily a large animal vet (we live in a rural area with a large dairy farm contigency)--definitely knows her stuff and she commonly remarks on the health, temperament, and general well being of our dogs.

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Lesson learned. Never trust a Labrador that circles the kitchen island around dinner time

we have a pantry that we find him just hanging out in, shopping for anything at eye level.  we had to move the food to the top shelves.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

we have a pantry that we find him just hanging out in, shopping for anything at eye level.  we had to move the food to the top shelves.

Oh yeah...same. We actually had to put rubber bands on the kitchen pantry door knobs to hold them together...it's like babysitting.