Would 6 rings for NE diminish future SB winners?

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

I always wonder how arrogant we would be if the Bills had won 5 SBs and basically rule the AFC like NE has....we were great for 5-6 years....we are talking about 17 years here....I'm sure we'd have some over the top fans here and there, but I like to believe most wouldn't be as arrogant....

It has even crossed my mind that I wouldn’t want to win that much.  The arrogance is inevitable.  I have known a lot of Pats fans who used to be decent people.

3 hours ago, Success said:

Ask Pats fans.  Most are also Sox fans.  I wonder if it diminished their World Series titles over the past 15 years that the Yankees had 27?

Another great point! Thank you all for making me feel better about the inevitable. Lots of great points that my blind, unhealthy hatred for the Patriots wasn't letting me see... Lol

I look forward to one day getting to deal with that problem.  The better question is once you get that first title that's been missing your whole life as a fan, do future titles mean as much?  Any Cubs or Red Sox fans on here who can help answer that?

Edited by Doc Brown

36 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Another great point! Thank you all for making me feel better about the inevitable. Lots of great points that my blind, unhealthy hatred for the Patriots wasn't letting me see... Lol

Trust me - I’m the same way.  I’m sure many here are.  It doesn’t feel healthy sometimes!

Such a new level of hate.  Tops the old Cowboys hate by a mile.

16 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

In sports, when 1 team or individual (in a sport like golf or tennis, for example) wins so many titles, does it sort of lessen the future champs? And if the Patriots win 6, does that lessen future SB winners?

In the future, is it always going to be a "yeah but" thing? We can already hear it in fans: we hope Brady and Belichick retire so someone else can win. But are SB winners in a league where you don't have to worry about NE not as impressive? Suddenly all the also-rans can compete for the trophy because the big boys got bored of winning and retired?

5 rings for NE is already pushing it, but the 49ers got 5 rings in their dynasty run (Montana's 4 plus the 1 Young got), so it's happened before. However, 6 rings with two spurts of 3 in 4 years separated by almost 20 years is insane. Will the shadow of Brady and Belichick's accomplishments stand there and say to all future SB winners "look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair?"

Where are all the up and coming stars? To me, it really hurts the league when nobody is up to it and the same team wins all the time. Montana's career ended on the frozen turf in Buffalo in a crushing loss. There was a passing of the torch type moment in that. At the end he was just very good, but no longer what he once was.

IF Brady retires and a different team wins next year will part of the narrative  be that it's because Brady is finally out of the picture? If so, that sucks for that team because it takes away from what they accomplished and it hurts the league's ability to build new stars.

I don't understand the logic and certainly do not agree with the premises of your thought. The superbowl winner is the pinnacle of who the best is....for that year. Not the year or years before. What came before will not and does not matter. Period! Brady and Bellicheat shouldn't even be a part of the discussion solely on the basis that they are and forever will be know as the team that cheats. Neither of them or the team in general should  ever be in the the discussion of "greatest ever" or voted into the HOF. Pete Rose was band from baseball and the HOF for just betting on games, he never cheated....and both these a-holes are not only still in the league, they are virtual locks for first ballet HOF'er which sickens me. 

Man ‘O Wars greatness did not lessen the impact fans felt for racehorses that followed him.  Same to be said with Secritariat.

the 70s Dolphins undefeated season had no impact on any team or its fans enjoyment of their own championship.

phil micklesons majors pale in comparison to tigers or jacks...but the moments that he won them or bubba Watson’s Victories are not lessened.

sounds like you are more worried about 

THE LEGACY.

i will make it simple for you.

the Patriots, Belichick and Brady are on the Mount Rushmore of NFL and possible professional sports.

nothing the bills can do to change history.  They won this era we lost.

need to stop focusing on the Legacy for now because that isn’t going to happen anytime soon if ever.  Focus on 1 first.

20 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

I don't understand the logic and certainly do not agree with the premises of your thought. The superbowl winner is the pinnacle of who the best is....for that year. Not the year or years before. What came before will not and does not matter. Period! Brady and Bellicheat shouldn't even be a part of the discussion solely on the basis that they are and forever will be know as the team that cheats. Neither of them or the team in general should  ever be in the the discussion of "greatest ever" or voted into the HOF. Pete Rose was band from baseball and the HOF for just betting on games, he never cheated....and both these a-holes are not only still in the league, they are virtual locks for first ballet HOF'er which sickens me. 

I agree.  The league, and most of the media, has swept the Pats* transgressions under the rug like it never even happened.  I hope one day history looks back into the Patriots teams of the 2000s and is able to bring some things to light.  I suspect the NFL knows, and to the extent, that spygate happened, but didn't want to deal with the mess and embarrassment it would case.  So it just went away.

As a football mind and great player, Belichick and Brady should go into the HOF, but I would like to see the tricks that the Pats* organization played come to light and multiple SB trophies have an asterisk attached to them. 

Patriots are just this era's Dynasty team.  Doesn't diminish anything.. It just ensures this era's Patriots franchise will reamin in the conversation for best all time for quite awhile

My dislike for the patriots is nothing more than them being division rivals and me being jealous they are so good for so long..... yes there are some integrity questions but that has a lot to do with me wanting to see their amazing run officially tainted so I can sleep better at nights

Edited by ddaryl

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont really get this question to be honest.  Absolutely not, it doesn't in any fashion lessen or cheapen a SB win by any team, not even the Pats.  I dont care what people say about the Pats and the whole cheating claim...to do what they do is still an incredible feat, and they are doing it currently with a QB who has been winning SB's in his late 30's and has a shot at one at 40 now while still being the center of that team.

Any other team wins a SB I promise they don't give 2 sh*ts about who won the year before or how many any other team won.  There are teams in the NFL who have never even played in a Super Bowl, not to mention the ones who have never won one like the Bills.  At no point will the Patriots dynasty run cheapen any other team achieving a SB victory.

And as a hard core Laker fan, I promise you it does NOT get old seeing your team win and it does NOT get less exciting.  When I had my lakers 3 peat with Shaq and Kobe, I enjoyed all 3 the same.  When the Kobe-Gasol teams went to 3 straight, winning 2 in a row after losing the first, I promise you none of them felt diminished or cheap.  There were all a battle and I loved every minute of it.  

I will disagree with when you say it doesn't get less exciting.  Look at the games this weekend.  Look at the atmospheres in Minn & Philly compared to Foxboro.  That Saturday night game in NE sounded like a preseason game, not a playoff game.   There is no atmosphere/excitement there anymore.  The fans are so spoiled.  It will be sweet watching that fan base & how they react when NE is not on top anymore.  It should be interesting. 

No, because the Cinderella stories are always the bigger deal. The red sox and cubs winning the world series finally. The Cavaliers winning an NBA title. The Giants spoiling the Patriots perfect season. If anything when a dynasty ends, and the new champions start to emerge, the league gets better. At least in the short term.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

No, because the Cinderella stories are always the bigger deal. The red sox and cubs winning the world series finally. The Cavaliers winning an NBA title. The Giants spoiling the Patriots perfect season. If anything when a dynasty ends, and the new champions start to emerge, the league gets better. At least in the short term.

Exactly this.  Having the championship team be a forgone conclusion before the playoffs even start is boring in all sports.  Everyone hated/hates seeing the yankees, Bulls, Lakers, Pats, etc. going on runs year after year because it makes the playoffs more meaningless and less watchable.  Having underdogs or even new teams playing makes for more viewing because of the uncertainty of what could happen.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Exactly this.  Having the championship team be a forgone conclusion before the playoffs even start is boring in all sports.  Everyone hated/hates seeing the yankees, Bulls, Lakers, Pats, etc. going on runs year after year because it makes the playoffs more meaningless and less watchable.  Having underdogs or even new teams playing makes for more viewing because of the uncertainty of what could happen.

yet we call all hope and cheer for sacks and hits on Tom Brady 

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm all for that, problem is the outcome of the game usually doesn't change.

true.

I just read something that might be interesting (wondering if it deserves its own thread) 

Marrone hasn't seen Coughlin's SB wins over Pats

Coughlin owns the Pats in the SB.  

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

I will disagree with when you say it doesn't get less exciting.  Look at the games this weekend.  Look at the atmospheres in Minn & Philly compared to Foxboro.  That Saturday night game in NE sounded like a preseason game, not a playoff game.   There is no atmosphere/excitement there anymore.  The fans are so spoiled.  It will be sweet watching that fan base & how they react when NE is not on top anymore.  It should be interesting. 

Cant speak for younger fans, but if the pats never win another game again I wont complain. This run has been more than any fan could ask for.