Would 6 rings for NE diminish future SB winners?

In sports, when 1 team or individual (in a sport like golf or tennis, for example) wins so many titles, does it sort of lessen the future champs? And if the Patriots win 6, does that lessen future SB winners?

In the future, is it always going to be a "yeah but" thing? We can already hear it in fans: we hope Brady and Belichick retire so someone else can win. But are SB winners in a league where you don't have to worry about NE not as impressive? Suddenly all the also-rans can compete for the trophy because the big boys got bored of winning and retired?

5 rings for NE is already pushing it, but the 49ers got 5 rings in their dynasty run (Montana's 4 plus the 1 Young got), so it's happened before. However, 6 rings with two spurts of 3 in 4 years separated by almost 20 years is insane. Will the shadow of Brady and Belichick's accomplishments stand there and say to all future SB winners "look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair?"

Where are all the up and coming stars? To me, it really hurts the league when nobody is up to it and the same team wins all the time. Montana's career ended on the frozen turf in Buffalo in a crushing loss. There was a passing of the torch type moment in that. At the end he was just very good, but no longer what he once was.

IF Brady retires and a different team wins next year will part of the narrative  be that it's because Brady is finally out of the picture? If so, that sucks for that team because it takes away from what they accomplished and it hurts the league's ability to build new stars.

Maybe for a bit because the talking heads will make it a point.

I don't think history will be kind to the Patriots legacy.  There is spygate, deflategate, hgh to several players, etc. and I think more will come out as time goes on.  It will come out that Brady used peds and that will really hurt the legacy.  Brady has also kind of gone of the deep end with his whole tb12 "diet."  Will be interesting to watch and I can't wait to see the real story behind the Patriots dominance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not really when you get favors from the Refs.  Yes they did.  

Steelers 6, Cowboys 5, Niners 5

Those (aside from the 49ers) were more spread out though. Especially the Steelers.

It drives me nuts that the level of competition is so pathetic. The Titans and Jaguars are all that stood in front of Brady getting to another Super Bowl, where he will be up against Case Keenum or Nick Foles...

In another world he could have faced Smith and Big Ben in the playoffs and Brees in the SB at least. But he is going to get ring #6 playing against backups and journeymen. It sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It drives me nuts that the level of competition is so pathetic. The Titans and Jaguars are all that stood in front of Brady getting to another Super Bowl, where he will be up against Case Keenum or Nick Foles...

Sickeningly Agreed... NE basically sitting with 3-bye weeks are being handed entry into the SB!  THEN possibly to be handed the damn trophy if a Wentz-less Eagles team is able to win a home game!!!  ugh.... Oh yeah ATL also handed them a SB-ring... DAMMIT so did Seattle..... Seriously WTF!!!

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not really when you get favors from the Refs.  Yes they did.  

Steelers 6, Cowboys 5, Niners 5

it's basically the same 8 elite teams that have been in 85% of the SB's. They are the ones that generate the most revenue for the NFL, so therefore they get the favoritism.  Buckle up and prepare for more SF titles.

39 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Sickeningly Agreed... NE basically sitting with 3-bye weeks are being handed entry into the SB!  THEN possibly to be handed the damn trophy if a Wentz-less Eagles team is able to win a home game!!!  ugh.... Oh yeah ATL also handed them a SB-ring... DAMMIT so did Seattle..... Seriously WTF!!!

Well take solace in the fact that probably 90% of the country hates the Patriots

It's to a point the Patriots diminish thier own SB wins. The Pats win the Superbowl *yawn. I don't think even thier own fans feel special anymore about a Pats SB win. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2