Offensive PI (rule change to consider)

The current rules on offensive PI are fine... they just need to call it! So many receivers push off, even some (most) of the star WRs around the league. They got good at it too... extending their arm about 80% right before the ball comes, but not 100%, so the zebras let it go, but it's a major advantage.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The current rules on offensive PI are fine... they just need to call it! So many receivers push off, even some (most) of the star WRs around the league. They got good at it too... extending their arm about 80% right before the ball comes, but not 100%, so the zebras let it go, but it's a major advantage.

They do know how to get away with it....but let me tell you...DBs know how to grab on a break and get away with it too. So I think while the rules favor the offense. Defensive players can get away with stuff and its not that hard. 

Why? What does that accomplish? What's wrong with the rule now? Should we just change everything just to change it?

How about this. Leave the game and rules the way they are and find people to ref the game that don't have bias. Or let's gets some refs that you know....didn't officiate a game for the Lombardi led Packers and don't have 60 years of confusing rule changes to sift through. Just a thought.

If anything, the penalties need to be simpler and, as someone else already pointed out, they need to be called.

Furthermore, penalties need to be called primarily (if not only) when they actually affect a play.

If someone puts his hands in someone's face and the play is on the other side of the field, why the !@#$ call it? 

• Like (+1) 1

It would actually make sense to me if all offensive penalties that occur on a live play result in a loss of down, with the logic being that you shouldn't get a re-do for breaking the rules. Exception would be a downfield spot foul where the spot after the penalty still would've been enough for a 1st on the play. Pre snap penalties would not result in a loss of down because the down hasn't happened yet when the foul occurs. 

20 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

My only issue with PI is that it gets called at the spot of the foul. It's way too punitive. Make it a 10 yard penalty and loss of down.

Since defensive holding regardless if it is 1st and 10 or 3rd and 50 or 3rd and 1 etc etc............is 5 yds and automatic first down.

Why is not offensive holding downfield(also called illegal block, illegal pick).......5 yd penalty and automatic 4th down for offense?

Edited by cba fan

33 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

My only issue with PI is that it gets called at the spot of the foul. It's way too punitive. Make it a 10 yard penalty and loss of down.

if it wasn't so punitive you'd see more Defenses abusing it

Its fine the way it is

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If anything, the penalties need to be simpler and, as someone else already pointed out, they need to be called.

Furthermore, penalties need to be called primarily (if not only) when they actually affect a play.

If someone puts his hands in someone's face and the play is on the other side of the field, why the !@#$ call it? 

You are one of the few people that I know who gets smarter when in the last stages of one's downside. I salute you for your wisdom. You may be fading but your lightbulb is still shining bright.  :D

I think there should be a 10 yard penalty assessed against any receiver that looks at a ref, raises his arms and verbally complains. It happens on every incomplete pass play. Ridiculous. Just play the damn game. Let the coaches complain if the situation dictates it.

Edited by RobH063
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I think there should be a 10 yard penalty assessed against any receiver that looks at a ref, raises his arms and verbally complains. It happens on every incomplete pass play. Ridiculous. Just play the damn game. Let the coaches complain if the situation dictates it.

Well....Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin are All Pros at not selling the missed call......