Daboll's preferred offense and QB.

Logic

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Below are some great articles about the Erhardt-Perkins offense, which our new offensive coordinator will be running. The first talks about the system in general, with some great diagrams of plays to give examples. The second article talks about Daboll's offense specifically.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/11/why_alabamas_offense_is_like_a.html

"The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The biggest advantage of the concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense: the quarterback. In other systems, even if the underlying principles are the exact same, the play and its name might be very different. Rather than juggling all this information in real time, an Erhardt-Perkins quarterback only has to read a given arrangement of receivers. “You can cut down on the plays and get different looks from your formations and who’s in them. It’s easier for the players to learn. It’s easier for the quarterback to learn,” former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said back in 2000. “You get different looks without changing his reads. You don’t need an open-ended number of plays.”

Let’s look at a play that has long been a staple of the Patriots attack. This is actually two different concepts put together — “ghost/tosser,” which has the Patriots run the ghost concept to one side and the tosser concept to the other. Ghost has the outermost receiver, whoever it is, run a vertical route, one inside receiver run to a depth of roughly eight yards before breaking flat to the outside, and the innermost receiver run immediately to the flat. It’s a form of the “stick” or “turn” concept that essentially every NFL team uses. On the other side, tosser means that the receivers run the double-slant concept. The page below is from the Patriots’ playbook.

Play Diagram

The theory here is that no matter the formation, there is an outside receiver, an inside receiver, and a middle receiver, and each will be responsible for running his designated route. For the quarterback, this means the play can be run repeatedly, from different formations and with different personnel, all while his read stays effectively the same. Once receivers understand each concept, they only have to know at which position they’re lined up. The personnel and formation might cause the defense to respond differently, but for New England those changes only affect which side Brady prefers or which receiver he expects to be open. This conceptual approach is how the Patriots are able to run the same basic plays, whether spreading the field with four or five receivers or using multiple tight ends and running backs.

And from Daboll:

"You choose what you want to do and each week based on what the other team does, based on the coverages that they play," he said. "You don't just draw up new stuff every week...We can expand that or contract it or use the things that we think are best based on what the other team plays. I think that's what we've tried to do all year long and that's what gives the players the best chance to execute."

After reading these articles and diving into the Erhardt-Perkins offense in general, I feel pretty excited about Buffalo's offensive future. The diversity that the offense offers -- while still using verbiage that is simpler than many other systems -- is enticing. I get the sense that with this offense, and with Daboll's recent experience coaching the college game, we're going to see a much more diverse, modern, interesting offensive attack in Buffalo next year. An attack that adjusts from week to week to exploit opponent's weaknesses and find advantageous personnel matchups. Unlike many on these forums, I think the hire of Daboll was an excellent one and I can't wait to see his offense in action.

GO BILLS!!!

How is it we never heard of the name of this offense nor its concepts before?

( So Brady would have sucked if drafted by the Bills :D )

What I read Daboll runs a power run game and a ball control short passing game. If they change QB's what player fits that style. Keep in mind McDermott said he prefers a veteran presence. Not my choice but I see them signing Sam Bradford to groom Petermen. Then using top 4 picks on front seven on defense. NOT MY CHOICE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

What I read Daboll runs a power run game and a ball control short passing game. If they change QB's what player fits that style. Keep in mind McDermott said he prefers a veteran presence. Not my choice but I see them signing Sam Bradford to groom Petermen. Then using top 4 picks on front seven on defense. NOT MY CHOICE.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but I think this is being discussed in numerous other threads about Daboll, QB's, and his offensive scheme. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not trying to be a d*ck, but I think this is being discussed in numerous other threads about Daboll, QB's, and his offensive scheme. :thumbsup:

This.  I can get it when a thread is 20 pages long and contentious, but there are several threads including a couple started to avoid a 20 page long contentious thread.

As the mods would say "please use the search function before starting new threads"

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What about his preferred OLine coach? 

Castillo needs to be the next one out the door.

This has been discussed in those numerous other threads too

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  I can get it when a thread is 20 pages long and contentious, but there are several threads including a couple started to avoid a 20 page long contentious thread.

As the mods would say "please use the search function before starting new threads"

This has been discussed in those numerous other threads too

Thank you all mighty and all knowing one. I am humbled by your presence............................................................................................................:rolleyes:

I for one don't care how many threads we have here. Are we paying for them? I would rather have a new thread instead of searching through 100 pages so lets stop repeating we have a thread on that topic already geeeez. Back to your topic I can see them getting Bradford as well just please no Tyrod I like to gargle with mouthwash during the game Taylor. I don't think they will use all first 4 picks on D-line though we need a receiver bigtime to. Going to be an interesting offseason for sure. Go Bills  

Edited by PIP
  • Like (+1) 4

Bradford is a good QB.... just way too fragile. If the plan is to play a vet 3 games then turn the position over to Peterman, and acquire a back-up to him as the vet is on IR the rest of the season, Bradford is the best man for the job. I'll make the assumption that is not the plan.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Thank you all mighty and all knowing one. I am humbled by your presence............................................................................................................:rolleyes:

Please don't slip and cut yourself in that Sar Chasm.

Seriously, one of the reasons this has been a very good fan board for so long has been community standards that are largely self-enforced.  Those include limiting the number of threads discussing a single topic, being reasonably civil to each other, and trying to encourage knowledgeable discussion.  Obviously not perfect, but when you go look at fan boards where these standards have not existed for years (if they ever did) the difference is stark.

Maybe a year from now the community standards will be just as some say here: "I don't care, I don't wanna, and f*ck that".  And maybe some won't see that as a loss.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree, new threads are a non issue to me. Most threads with a lot of pages get derailed off topic anyways. I still think Beane is hell bent on finding a franchise QB in the draft, regardless if the hire was Daboll or anyone else. I like the idea of Bradford for a year (if he can stay healthy for once), and rookie sitting for a year. 

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

maybe we can get Jalen Hurts next year and complete 5 passes per game.  we ran that kind of offense in high school.  exciting stuff!

I highly doubt Hurts was Daboll’s preference. He was already there, he didn’t recruit him. He had never had a primarily mobile/limited passer as his QB in the nfl and Mike Locksley designed the RPOs last year for that reason. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I highly doubt Hurts was Daboll’s preference. He was already there, he didn’t recruit him. He had never had a primarily mobile/limited passer as his QB in the nfl and Mike Locksley designed the RPOs last year for that reason. 

i was being facetious

I don't like the hire because I wanted someone with a complex NFL level passing attack.  I realize we don't have the QB for that but I want to dream that we could find one.  Hopefully once they do we can get a new OC

59 minutes ago, H2o said:

When you start out with that statement you are basically saying you are a d*ck. Let the guy post as he wishes. Unless of course you have been designated the thread duplication D*ck.

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I think we can finally say goodbye to a mobile style QB.

I like to see a solid running game and a quick, short passing game, however, these days you gotta have a QB that can air it out and let his WR's make a play.

I agree, TT isn’t Daboll’s style of QB

• Like (+1) 1