Daboll's preferred offense and QB.

Logic

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll was able to adjust to Hurts out of necessity with the help of Locksley, but that’s not his system and not what he wants to do. Hurts never developed as a passer with that approach and it only works until you meet a good defense with on par athletes. 

Could Daboll get more out of TT than Denison did? Possibly, but they want more than what they got when they had Roman/ Lynn trying that. It’s time to rip the band aid off and move on. I highly doubt Daboll wants to work with TT, but, I’ve been wrong before and may be again.

Right, I was just saying that this would have been a better OC for Tyrod but now we are moving on from him so I was hoping for someone with more of a history of working with quality QB's at the NFL level and have had some kind of success.

I'll say this about Daboll.  If he is such a great up and coming OC then why wouldn't Belichick want him back in NE?  They are losing perhabs their entire offensive coaching staff this offseason.  Don' t you think Belichick would bring him back to NE if he was so great?

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Right, I was just saying that this would have been a better OC for Tyrod but now we are moving on from him so I was hoping for someone with more of a history of working with quality QB's at the NFL level and have had some kind of success.

I'll say this about Daboll.  If he is such a great up and coming OC then why wouldn't Belichick want him back in NE?  They are losing perhabs their entire offensive coaching staff this offseason.  Don' t you think Belichick would bring him back to NE if he was so great?

According to some Daboll was next in line for O.C. https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/15/16891128/bills-hire-former-patriots-tight-ends-coach-brian-daboll-to-be-offensive-coordinator

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I have no link, but have seen over and over on these boards that he was in line to replace McDaniels. Edit: yeah, that ^

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

8 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rumors are stating he wanted to bring him back.

What I get from the article on Erhardt-Perkins is that it doesn't dictate reliance on either the running game or the passing game dominance.  In essence, it provides a framework for organizing and communicating plays, which are mostly the same plays in the other two systems (Coryell and West Coast).  As a framework, Grantland maintains it has an advantage in that is simplifies understanding and communication, and is thus easier for QBs to master.  So depending on the personnel Daboll is working with, he could in theory have a run heavy offense or a pass happy offense, or anything in between.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's from WNY and went to college at Rochester.  

He is originally from Ontario but went to HS at St. Francis. I think a huge thing is that his family already lives in OP. I’m pretty sure he is divorced and re-married but all his kids are in Buffalo. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So he probably drinks Molson?

We need to find out 

Btw he was (maybe still is) best friends with Brian Polian in HS, who is ST coach at ND. More insight to Irish draft prospects... (Josh Adams is on my radar)

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's from WNY and went to college at Rochester.  

if that news comes out that he chose us over NE i'll definitely feel more confident about this.  it's a nice story that the local boy comes home to coach his favorite team

23 hours ago, Logic said:

Agreed. It would be nice to see a 2018 passing offense rather than a 1998 passing offense.

The Bills fielded a 1958 passing offense this past season IMO ... I don't think they had any 50+ yard passing plays in the regular season.   I don't need or want the Bills QB to throw 40 times a game but I would like to see a somewhat robust passing game that can execute chunk plays with average success.  I think that as long as the Bills play in an open stadium in WNY, they have to build their offense around power running because there are too many instances late in the season when even a 5 yard pass may be an adventure.  That doesn't mean that they should abandon the downfield passing game as they essentially did in 2017.

I will give Daboll the benefit of the doubt.  If he can fix the OL so that it can play at least as well as it did in 2016, that would be a major step forward IMO.  The Bills definitely need a new WR corps outside of Benjamin and Jones  (and maybe Jones, too).  I think the TEs are good enough.  The Bills need a younger RB to groom to take over from Shady. 

I was a big Tyrod Taylor fan but I've concluded that he's simply not good enough to be a good NFL starter.  In the right offense, I think he can be modestly successful as he was in 2015 and 2016, but I would hope the Bills are aiming higher than that.  Unless/until they have a QB "in hand" through either trade, FA signing or the draft, the Bills need to keep Taylor on the roster.  The Bills won't be able to come up with a decent backup QB -- a Stanton or a Foles -- for much less than they'll pay for Taylor in 2018.  Keeping Taylor enables them to take a long, hard look at the QBs in the draft, and maybe take a chance on a guy in the 2nd round who's more of a project. They don't need to do a reprise of 2013 when they cut Fitzpatrick loose early, which forced them into signing "Glass" Kolb and drafting Manuel. 

4 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

It's entirely possible that Daboll felt he was being strung along and got fed up waiting.  It could have gone like this:

2014: "stay with the organization, Brian.  McDaniels will leave for a HC gig after the SB and you'll get your shot"  Daboll: "thanks, Bill"

2015: "stay with the organization, Brian  McDaniels needs to build his resume next year with another win, and you'll get your shot"  Daboll: "I understand Bill"

2016: "stay with the organization, Brian, McDaniels will leave for a HC gig after the SB and you'll get your shot"  Daboll: "Eff waiting, I have a resume to build of my own"

Of course the question was whether it was then "Bye Felicia!" or "Good luck, and we'll keep you in mind when we have an opening"

Draft a qb and get Smith, then get a speedster like Gabriel. Draft a stud lb and use those other picks to improve both lines and depth. That would be a big improvement. 

So glad Dennison is gone and I feel good about this new OC. 5 SB rings and a cfb NC, I bet he has learned a lot. Be great to finally be good on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Turk71