Relax Jets Fans, (and Bills Fans), Doug Marrone Was Not Going To Save The Franchise

BuffaloRush

This was an interesting quote -

ESPN New York radio host and childhood friend Michael Kay, who deserves credit for being transparent about his personal relationship with Marrone, tweeted this on Sunday night about the Jets saga: “Through back channels Marrone was told the job was his.”

Messed up if true. Too bad Pegula couldn't prove it because the NYJ would owe us a draft pick. 

The Jags could actually make it to the SB.  I think they have a better chance to beat the Pats than the Steelers would have.  The Jags have a tall safety who can slow down Gronk, a great D line, fast LBs to take away the quick throws Brady likes, and great DBs.  They have some offensive weapons, particularly Fournette.  If Bortles plays well, they have a reasonable chance.  But probably will lose anyway -- Pats at NE in the playoffs is usually all she wrote. 

Seems like they have a pretty young team, too, so maybe the Jags can keep it going.

I don't have any bitterness toward Marrone, I just think he handled his departure wrong.  Just like Dareus, he took the money when it was available.  Anyone remember Jarius Byrd?  Planter fascitus my foot, or his foot -- he just cashed in and walked away.  And in today's NFL, where players are cut so quickly when replacements are available, it's kind of good to see employees (players and coaches) working the systems.

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Below is a great article from Manish Meta of the New York Daily News.  Manish certainly does talk trash about the Bills, but this article is a good read. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/relax-jets-fans-doug-marrone-wasn-save-franchise-article-1.3757872

Basically it points out two of the most important factors in Doug Marrone's success in Jacksonville.

1. The great talent that David Caldwell brought to the team (after drafting high for years) finally living up to potential.  I might add in the big free agents acquisitions this year as well. 

2. But most importantly, Doug learned from the mistakes he made as a 1st time coach in Buffalo.  It does mention that people in Buffalo hated him and that he treated people in the building (and the media) very badly.  

Meta is astute to point out that he probably wouldn't have had the same success with the Jets because he'd be acquiring a much different team.  You can say the same thing for the Bills as well - though had Pegulas gone through and hired Polian to run football operations, there's a chance that Marrone stays, Whaley goes and Chris Polian is brought in as GM.  Who knows what happens then.  

Correct that he had great talent to work with in Jax, and that's a huge part of his success.

But in fact, that's a huge part of any successful coach's success. With crap talent you won't succeed.

And correct that he probably learned a lot since Buffalo. 

But does that mean he couldn't have learned the same things sitting in Buffalo? No way to know. The article is aimed at Jets fans, and considers that it was at least reported that Marrone was likely to get the job in NY after he left Buffalo. 

Nothing really new here for Bills fans, IMHO. Sure, he didn't have the roster in Buffalo that he had in Jax. But except for (hopefully) McDermott, he was the best coach in Buffalo since Wade Phillips and he might have been very successful here if he'd stayed and the roster had become better one way or another. 

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everyone ripped the Bills for the $4 million opt out clause.  But really can't blame anyone IMO.  The clause only came into effect if and when RW died and the team is sold.  Can see if I'm ready to sign a contract to coach the Bills and there's a good chance my contract will out last RW, I'd want something in there that gives me an out if the team is sold and maybe moved someplace I have no desire to move to. Or maybe the team is bought by someone I really hate (Trump) or is taken over by someone who doesn't want to spend any money.  So he have an out. 

And really can't blame the Bills for agreeing to it as what coach has ever walked away from an NFL head coaching position.  There was a good chance RB and Mary Wilson knew long before RW died who was buying the team and where they'd be located.  So figured the team isn't going anywhere, coaches don't walk away from current jobs, so was a very safe totally free insurance policy to add the opt out.  And I'm sure if Marrone wasn't so sure he was getting the Jets HC job he never would have left either.  Not sure what exactly happened there, possibly the Jet's soured on him purely because he walked away.  So left him out in the cold, but $4 mil buys plenty of winter coats.

That is some good insight that some of the less rational posters here do not have ..The opt out clause was included in there because of the fact that there was the real possibility of ownership change .  No well represented coach would sign a contract with a team that has an ailing owner without such a clause.  It wasn’t put in there because Bills were stupidly generous .

The thing I hated most about Marrone during his tenure in Buffalo was that it always seemed that he was out to prove a point.  I was sure that he would've rather lost the game doing things his way than won the game doing things someone else's way.  It drove me nuts.

Perhaps he has softened a bit in Jacksonville and I imagine he may have been humbled by what happened to him after he opted out.  There is no question that Jacksonville has drafted well (some of us - ahem - were pounding the table for Miles Jack) and their approach to free agency on defense has been impressive (Campbell and Cyprien have been nice adds).  Curious to see what they do at the QB position this offseason, as there is no way Bortles comes back as the unqualified starter.  Perhaps it's a landing spot for Tyrod.

Good football coach. Was when he was here, would have been in New York, is in Jacksonville. He isn't a great coach but he is a good one. Bills first winning season in 10 years then goes to 3-13 Jacksonville and repeats the trick. 

Doesn't make him a saviour.... or a Saint for that matter... and he is pretty dislikeable - but he is a good Head Coach. Three jobs including Syracuse and 3 turnaround jobs on moribund programmes. Eventually it isn't coincidence. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, transient said:

In a 10-6 season, five of those wins were Houston x2 (one half of Watson in his first NFL game), Indy x2, and the Browns. Granted, you have to beat the team in front of you, but that was one cupcake of a schedule...

They actually have 12 wins now, including the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

They actually have 12 wins now, including the Steelers in Pittsburgh.

They actually beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice, now.

They also lost to the Jets, Cardinals, and 49ers, as well as twice to the Titans.

I'm not suggesting that Marrone won't be successful as the HC in Jacksonville, or that they don't have an imposing defense, or that they don't belong in the playoffs, or anything other than the fact that their regular season turnaround from 3-13 to 10-6 was certainly helped by a down season in the AFC South.  They won their 5 "gimmes" and essentially played less than 0.500 ball the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, transient said:

They actually beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice, now.

They also lost to the Jets, Cardinals, and 49ers, as well as twice to the Titans.

I'm not suggesting that Marrone won't be successful as the HC in Jacksonville, or that they don't have an imposing defense, or that they don't belong in the playoffs, or anything other than the fact that their regular season turnaround from 3-13 to 10-6 was certainly helped by a down season in the AFC South.  They won their 5 "gimmes" and essentially played less than 0.500 ball the rest of the season.

He's already successful. He's playing 1.000 ball in the postseason.