Was Saints loss equivalent to Homerun Throw-Forward?

Rubes

Sullivan called it "the first-ever walkoff TD in the fourth quarter of an NFL playoff game," which technically would make it ever-so-slightly-worse than Homerun Throw-Forward, which actually left 0:03 on the clock. (I didn't realize that at first, I thought I remembered the game being over, but I guess there was another kickoff. I'm either blacking it out, or I was comatose and never saw it.)

The Saints loss is also worse than the Ravens loss a couple of weeks ago. Pretty similar in that Cincy got the most unlikely TD on a long throw on 4th down, but there were still 40+ seconds left for the Ravens to respond, so there was still some tension left after the TD.

Some may say the Bills loss was worse because all they had to do was stop a kickoff return, but all the Saints had to do is either stop the pass from being completed, or just tackle the guy in bounds and the game would end.

Both are heartbreaking, but I wonder if this one will go down at least as bad as Homerun Throw-Forward and be remembered equally for its collapse.

Maybe if it's the start of a 17 year playoff drought.

I have a friend that is a huge Saints fan going back to the Archie Manning era who offered his perspective. One thing to remember is that the Saints were getting blown out and lucky it was only 17-0.  But in his words: "It sucked, but if I could survive the "Beast Mode" run in Seattle or the Capernic Comeback in San Francisco I can survive this.  It still sucked though.  At least Atlanta lost too."

I don't think so. It was an awful play by the safety to duck his head down and try to take him out hard instead of just waiting for the pass to get completed and tackle him.  Looked like he was bountygating him more than trying to win the game.

36 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Sullivan called it "the first-ever walkoff TD in the fourth quarter of an NFL playoff game," which technically would make it ever-so-slightly-worse than Homerun Throw-Forward, which actually left 0:03 on the clock. (I didn't realize that at first, I thought I remembered the game being over, but I guess there was another kickoff. I'm either blacking it out, or I was comatose and never saw it.)

The Saints loss is also worse than the Ravens loss a couple of weeks ago. Pretty similar in that Cincy got the most unlikely TD on a long throw on 4th down, but there were still 40+ seconds left for the Ravens to respond, so there was still some tension left after the TD.

Some may say the Bills loss was worse because all they had to do was stop a kickoff return, but all the Saints had to do is either stop the pass from being completed, or just tackle the guy in bounds and the game would end.

Both are heartbreaking, but I wonder if this one will go down at least as bad as Homerun Throw-Forward and be remembered equally for its collapse.

No Vikings win will not be compared much to Music City Miracle,(even though they are calling it Minnesota Miracle) as it does not have any controversy.

Technically the Viking game did not end on that TD pass.....they had to run one more play. The PAT.

Just like an untimed down after penalty or whatever to end a game that results in the winning FG or TD. That should not be considered the last play of the game if a PAT is involved. It still could be winning play but not last play.

EX: the Pats Bills "just give it to em" game. They had an untimed down with no time on clock after PI in end zone and Bledsoe threw a TD to Coates for the game winner, however, they had to run the PAT and did so for 2 pts. That was the final play.

It is interesting you bring up Music City Miracle. How would it have gone down today??? hmmmm

Riveron using the "perponderance of evidence policy" like he did in regular season 2017-18 should have overturned that today.

Unless he returned to "100% conclusive policy" in playoffs like he did this year in playoffs, then it would have stood.

coin flip

Edited by cba fan

Not as bad imo because the Vikings still had a legitimate long shot to tie the game. They were one big throw away from field goal range. It was just made all the better by Diggs scoring. The Titans only hope was a kickoff return for a touchdown. Something that is even more improbable on the final play. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, klos63 said:

No, throwback was a forward lateral, therefore shouldn't have counted.

I am hyper-apologetic toward officiating......I generally feel like most poor calls are toss-ups and can see the perspective where the offended team should have done better on that play or before to have avoided some hair-splitting issue.   Example: "You got spotted a half yard short?   Well, you do realize that 10 yards is just the MINIMUM needed for a first down, right?"  For this reason you'll rarely see me outraged about officiating and it makes the game much easier to watch, quite frankly.

But that play I can't excuse because you can't be expected to defend a forward pass on a kickoff.    It's like allowing a player to get tackled down but then get up again and run for a TD.   It's fundamentally absurd.    Like making up the rules as you go.      

• Like (+1) 1

The way I feel is that Minnesota legitimately won that game. They did it with a perfectly legal pass and catch. There was nothing about that TD that shouldn't have counted. It was a legit win. 

Buffalo got robbed out of a win by a play that should not have counted due to an illegal forward pass. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

No because that type of play happens a few times a year it seems, not necessarily in that context.  The forward lateral was a fluke play that was simply inexcusable and should never happen.

Possibly, but there has never been a walk-off TD in an NFL playoff game before.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

It certainly was to the Saints' fan base. That's the only comparison that matters, really. I'm surprised people want to compare and argue about the actual plays themselves. Kinda misses the point. 

Exactly.  As far as how the fan base feels, this is the best comparison.

(and it was a lateral)

I would equate it as just as bad of a loss to the Music City Miracle for Saints fans.  From pure elation to complete devastation.  Bills players didn't stay in their lanes and I still don't know what the heck the Saints safety was doing on that play.    

No.....for many reasons.  First, it was a legal play.  We got screwed on a forward lateral. 

Also, the Saints have won a Super Bowl fairly recently.  We haven't won one and, on top of that, had we rightfully won that game, there was a good chance we could have competed for, and possibly won, the Super Bowl that year.  Hard to get legitimately upset having a Championship banner hanging in the rafters,

Add on to all of this that we went on to miss the Playoffs for 17 years, being screwed out of games on a regular basis along the way.  What the Saints are going through is nothing.  With Brees at QB, they'll be back to compete again next year.

Edited by sven233