Marcell Is Talking Tough: Says He's an All-Pro and Bills Treated Him Like A "Nobody"

BuffaloRush

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Marcel Dareus hasn't even been starting for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has been on the roster for 11 games (including the playoffs) and has started exactly 2 of them.  So the team and coaching staff that apparently values him so much, has him playing behind Malik Jackson and former undrafted free agent Abry Jones.

Not to mention, when put on the trade block and made available to the ENTIRE NFL, the best offer Buffalo could get in return was a conditional 6th Round Pick. 

I was always pulling for Dareus to turn his life around.  But it's clear the guy will never take responsibility for his own actions.  There was a time when Dareus actually WAS an All-Pro, WAS worthy of $100 million and WAS extremely valued by this franchise.  You would think that getting traded (at 27 years old, during what should be the peak of his career) for basically nothing would have been yet another wake-up call.  But nope.  He thinks Sean McDermott and the Bills had it out for him.  Sad to say, but it's probably only a matter of time before he makes another stupid move and ends his NFL career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He got drafted 3rd overall, got paid $100 mil and was given every opportunity to clean his act up. What kind of nobodies does he know that get similar treatment?

exactly.  i'm a huge dareus fan, but he wasn't exactly treated like garbage.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The one thing that Sal C said was the difference in the relationship with this regime is they didn’t coddle him like previous ones.

Sal C said the reason why he was benched for the first quarter and first half in the last two games in 2014 was because he was late for roughly 30 meetings throughout the year.

30?  they allowed him to be late to 30 meetings?

I dig Dareus. I’m glad he is where he is and both sides, him and us, deserved a fresh start. 

The only negatives I have is his maturity and leadership.

His past is rough, he’s dealt with a lot of family issues. A young guy, with hardly any family support. Lost his mother young and lost his father when he was 6. His brother was murdered before the Chiefs game several years ago. 

http://m.thepostgame.com/features/201104/marcell-dareus-alabama-crimson-tide-defensive-tackle-nfl-draft

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2012/9/12/3320350/marcell-dareus-brother-killed

I do blame the organization a tad, but I also blame Dareus too. He went through a revolving door of coaches

and in an atmosphere of a losing culture. If I played for the Bills, I might say something similar. He wasn’t Mc Beane’s guy. He was traded. In his eyes he felt like he wasn’t wanted. I say good luck to him, crush Brady and beat the Pats!

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I'm sure it's because he wanted out by then. I'm not saying I'm for any of his antics. I'm saying you have to understand kids like him. He's never going to go along to get along if he thinks you're not doing the same.

You have $100million contract.

You show up and do your job.

Voice your opinion to management.

If you don't like it there, play out the deal and leave.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

I understand "kids like him" perfectly.

He wants to run the show and not be held accountable for anything he says or does.

He wants to blame everybody else for his problems.

Nobody forced him to drag race.

Nobody forced him to smoke and violate his workplace drug policy multiple times.

Nobody forced him to show up late to a GAME.

These are on him.

Period.

Even if he didn't like the job situation he was in, he made no effort to rectify it, other than to act out like a whiny baby.

Grow up Marcel.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Great comments from Marcel "Mr. Big Stuff" Dareus following a Jacksonville win where his defense gave up nearly 50 points.   He sure sounds like a jilted lover that was dumped.  Here's the best comment:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/15/marcell-dareus-says-bills-organization-treated-him-like-a-nobody/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1516027750

Then Dareus talked about his own journey. Dareus said he loved the city of Buffalo, but then offered a sarcastic thank you to Bills coach Sean McDermott for helping him make changes in his life before the trade. (Last week, he said joining the Jaguars helped turn his life around.)

I'm sorry to all you Bills revisionist historians out there, but Marcell is not the same player he was 4 years ago.  Marcell is Yes he is a competent starter that is capable of being productive.  And yes trading Marcel did hurt the Bills defense and the return they got for him was pathetic.  The problem is that Marcell couldn't be trusted not to smoke weed or to do something stupid.  He was one strike away from a season long suspension.  Worse, his contract was so bloated and did not justify his production or his importance to the defense.   Also don't think for a second that his contract won't have repercussions on Jacksonville.  Next year, they probably won't have the cap space to sign any of the big free agent QB's.

Sorry but to anyone that feels that Marcel is that all pro or one of the best players in the league is sadly mistaken.  He looked pretty good yesterday but I wouldn't call his performance dominant.  Also, he's playing on a line with two All-Pro defensive lineman and several other good pass rushers.  Watch the game film from earlier this year - or watch the games against Miami last year.  Marcell is living off his past laurels and I will stand by the fact that dumping his contract was a good move by the Bills.

Jerry Sullivan put things into perspective:

He is a one time NFL All Pro...only made the team in his contract year. Only time he had 10 or more sacks as well. While I am very aware there is more to a DT than sacks...it shows me what he was always capable of when properly motivated. 

He has had games where he took over. He's had big plays at big times. He's also lazy and only really plays when it benefits him. There is not a place on a team put together by McBeane for self serving players like him. He really could have been one of the all time greats. Have fun with him Jacksonville. Until you actually pay him. Then....he gone

No he'll have this in his head for the rest of his career. He'll still be saying, "because I'm not good enough for Buffalo," for years to come. Especially if he's doing well. Player use being cut or traded as motivation all the time.

He was saying the same things when he was still here. :rolleyes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/08/22/marcell-dareus-contract-buffalo-bills/32202447/

“I’m not looking, necessarily, for Suh’s numbers,” Dareus said. “I just want to be treated right, just like everyone else.

He later added: “I feel like I should be paid what I’m due.”

Following Buffalo’s 11-10 preseason victory Thursday against the Cleveland Browns, Dareus expressed his displeasure with negotiations and hinted that he might be on his way out of Buffalo.

“They’re making it hard,” Dareus told The Buffalo Newson Thursday. “And it’s just really making me unhappy. I feel like they don’t really want me here.”

According to The Buffalo News, the Bills have offered Dareus a six-year, $90 million contract.

He'll likely get next year to prove himself to JAX. His cap hit for 2018 is about $10M. But they only save about $2M if they cut him. In 2019 they can get out with no cap hit. If he plays to his ability and stays out of trouble, he's probably worth it to them thanks to the huge bonus the Bills had to eat...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Dareus is an all pro talent, probably will be a dominant player on that team much like Lynch in Seattle. Both players went to the perfect landing spots to turn their careers around.

His play here in a 3-4 wasn't worth his contract.  Neither was his play this past year in a 4-3 - demotivated and demoralized would cover it, though he did contribute against the run.  Early assessments in Jax are he's not the dominant player he once was, though he does contribute as he did here.

If he's motivated in the off season, trains like crazy, and comes back as a lean mean sacking machine he may have a resurgence as he's playing besides two all-stars again and he'll get his shots. 

If he parties down and feels ill-used, he's likely to stay where he is, which is not, right now, at all-pro

Edit: I want to add that I think the Jags may prove their own worst enemies going into next week.  They are feisty and confident, which is good, but they play like punks at times.  The play that took Taylor out was a dirty play.  Do that to Tom Brady, you'll be penalized, fined, and suspended.  They need to learn that in Foxboro, they are playing the Zebras as well as the Pats.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm sure it's because he wanted out by then. I'm not saying I'm for any of his antics. I'm saying you have to understand kids like him. He's never going to go along to get along if he thinks you're not doing the same.

Woe is me.  You're the wealthiest non-pegula there, and you act like a brat.  

I posted a similar thread last week and was roasted for it, but I do believe Dareus is speaking the truth and the fact say that McD/Beane had tunnel vision when it came to Dareus's contract and could care less about anything else.

Regardless whats done is done and Dareus will certainly have the last laugh if he wins a superbowl with St. Doug and the Jags. And if they upset the Pats it's going to happen.