Marcell Is Talking Tough: Says He's an All-Pro and Bills Treated Him Like A "Nobody"

BuffaloRush

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The point is the 1 technique in McDermotts defense is rotated by over / under alignment 

kyle can play it or adolphus.

The point we were talking about was the 1tech is not a stat player and as I said Marcell's stats with McDermott are useless.

6 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Victim mentality. If he ever learns to get over that way of thinking, he might actually be an All Pro again.

That ship has sailed.  He'll never be a Pro Bowler again, much less All-Pro.  He got the big payday and ever since has been on coast-mode.  He probably won't do anything to get suspended again but he'll do the minimum possible, to ensure that he keeps getting paid. 

And I think what he meant is that the Bills traded him like he was a nobody, which they did, and it embarrassed him, as it should.  Then to add insult to injury, the Bills made the playoffs without him.  He probably thought he was untouchable given his contract and (one-time) All-Pro nomination.  He was wrong.

17 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

The point we were talking about was the 1tech is not a stat player and as I said Marcell's stats with McDermott are useless.

Well I never disagreed that the 1 tech is not a stat stuffer

My point was all of our DTs play both 1 and 3 techniques

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think what stands out is that it's hard to find a similar situation where talent dumps like this have worked out.

The whole "winning with love" thing is not new.......think Dick Vermeil.......but what usually characterizes those types of coaches is an ability to deal with and develop immature players.

McD is going Belichick with regard to personnel but also trying to sell himself as the coach that loves them.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Regardless, their margin for error in talent evaluation going forward is minute if they plan on remaining competitive in the next couple seasons.

It's a good question, what other teams have started by dumping talent and had it work out?  There are a bunch of factors that come to mind:

1) talent retention/acquisition only became the issue it is today in the free agency/salary cap era so 1992/1994. 

2) often when one of these "win with love" dudes take over, there isn't a lot of talent there to be dumped. 

3) in the case of the Bills, you have a team with a culture that is habituated to mediocrity.  it's hard to change a culture without changing the people

4) in the case of Dareus, I think the trade was really driven almost entirely by cap and not by performance.  I think they wanted to free up 2019 salary cap to give them the option of a big-price FA QB, and the only way to do that was to trade him off this year.

On the other hand, I've had exactly the same concerns about the moves made amounting to talent dump.  Where Gilmore and Darby are concerned, it kind of wound up being "who?", but I can't say our talent level didn't drop off for some of the other changes.

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

That ship has sailed.  He'll never be a Pro Bowler again, much less All-Pro.  He got the big payday and ever since has been on coast-mode.  He probably won't do anything to get suspended again but he'll do the minimum possible, to ensure that he keeps getting paid. 

And I think what he meant is that the Bills traded him like he was a nobody, which they did, and it embarrassed him, as it should.  Then to add insult to injury, the Bills made the playoffs without him.  He probably thought he was untouchable given his contract and (one-time) All-Pro nomination.  He was wrong.

I don't know.  I don't think Dareus is as calculating as "minimum to ensure he's paid".

I think he is the kind of guy who mirrors his surroundings.  When he was surrounded by talent on a league-leading D under Schwartz, he hustled to keep up.

When he was put in a D where he struggled to understand the play calls and his roles and he didn't like his role as far as he understood it, he laid off, including laying off the training.

Now he's surrounded by stars again, deep in the playoffs for the first time ever, and it may re-energize and re-motivate him.  I wouldn't bet the rent on it, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  It kind of depends upon whether his skills have dropped off or whether hard training can lift them up again.

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Short plays the position they have Kyle Williams playing. They're different positions.

I believe he was talking about McDermott and the new staff. As Was I.

Yes, the new star is the one that gave him his very delayed lesson in "accountability".

He seems to forget how good he had it in Buffalo until McD took over and demanded what Whaley and Rex wouldn't.

He depends on enablers like yourself to keep him doing as he pleases.  McD can spot a scam when he sees one and was;t going to be suckered.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Trust me Marcel will do something stupid again. It's just a matter of time. No D lineman should ever get 100M. 

No D TACKLE should ever make 100m. But a D-End top-end pass rusher? All day.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, the new star is the one that gave him his very delayed lesson in "accountability".

He seems to forget how good he had it in Buffalo until McD took over and demanded what Whaley and Rex wouldn't.

He depends on enablers like yourself to keep him doing as he pleases.  McD can spot a scam when he sees one and was;t going to be suckered.

So much this it isn't funny. Pot was more important to the dude than football here.

I remember when 26CornerBlitz said I was wrong thinking Dareus felt disrespected. There was another guy in that thread that said I was wrong as well. I guess MD’s true colors have shown through. He was traded to a team with a stacked defense. I predict he falls wayyyy off next season. Thanks 26CB and the other guy. I don’t need to go find the thread. They know they were wrong. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What is this obsession about what Dareus says?  There are several other threads about every little thing he has stated...some were even positive like after the win where he had conflicted feelings because he cared about the players and fans of Buffalo.

Do we really need a new to obsess over every little quote?  He got traded...it hurt him, and now he is a Jaguar.  You think because we traded him he isnt allowed to be confident in the type of player he is...you know the one that made him the 3rd pick in the draft and earned a $100M contract after being a multi Pro Bowler?  

All he did here was speak the truth...this new regime was down on him from the moment they walked in the building, and Beane literally said so himself.  Beane said they saw his contract and incident history and identified him as a red flag player immediately.  That was the end of Dareus right there unless he was out there playing like Donald in LA.  But injuries kept him from getting into the D until just before we traded, but it didn't matter that he was playing well and according to Beane making huge strides as a player and with the team just before getting traded.  They cared WAY more about shedding his contract than anything, especially with the risk of losing him for a long time if anything happened again off field, and the trade had actually very little to do with him in the locker room.

He made some bone head off field mistakes while young, it cost him the confidence of a new regime due to the combo of that and his new contract.  Now he is playing to go to the Super Bowl with a former coach of his and has literally no reason to doubt his confidence about who he is as a player as he is contributing to one of the best defenses in football right now.  

I hope MD goes out and has a huge game to crush Brady and the Pats this weekend...shocked more people are talking about that and instead of hanging on every word of his as if he is somehow supposed to be sorry for being traded when he didn't want to be traded in the first place.

LMAO?  How is he behaving like a child?  For honestly answering questions by the media that are the truth?  Geezus

This

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hope MD goes out and has a huge game to crush Brady and the Pats this weekend...shocked more people are talking about that and instead of hanging on every word of his as if he is somehow supposed to be sorry for being traded when he didn't want to be traded in the first place.

LMAO?  How is he behaving like a child?  For honestly answering questions by the media that are the truth?  Geezus

Because he keeps saying the same crap.  How can he complain about how he was "treated" by the Bills when they were his main behavioral enablers.  They indulged all of his bad behaviors and supported him endlessly and publicly, then made him a very rich man.  Then a new HC and GM came and did the math that told them his contract and fitness/performance were not  worth the risk.  Then they traded him.  

This happens all the time on every player level on every team, yet, when asked, he can't stopped crying over how mean the Bills were to let him go when they did.

He should just shut his mouth already.  Or just reply how thankful he is for the Bills for putting up with his antics while paying him insane amounts of money---because that is "the truth".  You seem to have left all that out.

Edited by Mr. WEO

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was fine before they hired Rex. Every think Rex wasted his talent? And we should hope it's not McD who's scamming us all.

Marcel got away with not putting the effort in based upon his talent level.  To many coaches prior to McD did that, Marrone included.  He was treated like every other player and is angry about it.

Not sure why so many people care.