Marcell Is Talking Tough: Says He's an All-Pro and Bills Treated Him Like A "Nobody"

BuffaloRush

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Absolutely. The combination of negatives all added up and his contract was probably the least of it. If none of the other negatives are present and there was no slip in his play, the contract is a total non factor as the expectation was that he would continue to play at the level that earned him that deal in the first place. 

I heard that he didn't adhere to his prescribed off-season conditioning plan and didn't meet his expected reporting weight. He never gave himself a chance with a new staff that was establishing a new culture and demanding accountability from everyone else and they wouldn't make an exception for him as had been done in the past. 

This idea of being disrespected is a two way street. 

he was given all the chances with the bills, and he just decided not to act like a professional.  depending on someone's talent level, i suppose every coach has to put up with some level on nonsense, but i think marcel took it to another level.  i was so excited to have dareus on this team, and i was proud of the bills giving him a contract to keep him around.  dareus just let down the fans and the team.  i hope he gets his act in order going forward, but i'm pretty skeptical.

1 minute ago, teef said:

he was given all the chances with the bills, and he just decided not to act like a professional.  depending on someone's talent level, i suppose every coach has to put up with some level on nonsense, but i think marcel took it to another level.  i was so excited to have dareus on this team, and i was proud of the bills giving him a contract to keep him around.  dareus just let down the fans and the team.  i hope he gets his act in order going forward, but i'm pretty skeptical.

I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. He played well yesterday; his best game as a Jag from what I've been told. Was used on more passing downs, too. But like you, I'm not convinced that he can maintain a high level moving forward; just too many markers that indicate otherwise. Hope we are wrong about that. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Regardless of what you think of Dareus's maturity level, McD and Beane really did throw away a ton of talent, witness how well a lot of the players they dumped have played for other teams. Now they have to fill a dozen holes on this squad. Maybe they can do it, but the proof will be in their performance. There is an arrogance in them that, if they succeed, will be justified as self-confidence, but if they fail, will be revealed as hubris. 

The jury is out yet. 

I think what stands out is that it's hard to find a similar situation where talent dumps like this have worked out.

The whole "winning with love" thing is not new.......think Dick Vermeil.......but what usually characterizes those types of coaches is an ability to deal with and develop immature players.

McD is going Belichick with regard to personnel but also trying to sell himself as the coach that loves them.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Regardless, their margin for error in talent evaluation going forward is minute if they plan on remaining competitive in the next couple seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

What is this obsession about what Dareus says?  There are several other threads about every little thing he has stated...some were even positive like after the win where he had conflicted feelings because he cared about the players and fans of Buffalo.

Do we really need a new to obsess over every little quote?  He got traded...it hurt him, and now he is a Jaguar.  You think because we traded him he isnt allowed to be confident in the type of player he is...you know the one that made him the 3rd pick in the draft and earned a $100M contract after being a multi Pro Bowler?  

All he did here was speak the truth...this new regime was down on him from the moment they walked in the building, and Beane literally said so himself.  Beane said they saw his contract and incident history and identified him as a red flag player immediately.  That was the end of Dareus right there unless he was out there playing like Donald in LA.  But injuries kept him from getting into the D until just before we traded, but it didn't matter that he was playing well and according to Beane making huge strides as a player and with the team just before getting traded.  They cared WAY more about shedding his contract than anything, especially with the risk of losing him for a long time if anything happened again off field, and the trade had actually very little to do with him in the locker room.

He made some bone head off field mistakes while young, it cost him the confidence of a new regime due to the combo of that and his new contract.  Now he is playing to go to the Super Bowl with a former coach of his and has literally no reason to doubt his confidence about who he is as a player as he is contributing to one of the best defenses in football right now.  

I hope MD goes out and has a huge game to crush Brady and the Pats this weekend...shocked more people are talking about that and instead of hanging on every word of his as if he is somehow supposed to be sorry for being traded when he didn't want to be traded in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

He is still behaving like a child.  I’m betting that before Camp starts he will be in trouble and in Doug’s dog house once again.  

LMAO?  How is he behaving like a child?  For honestly answering questions by the media that are the truth?  Geezus

31 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Regardless of what you think of Dareus's maturity level, McD and Beane really did throw away a ton of talent, witness how well a lot of the players they dumped have played for other teams. Now they have to fill a dozen holes on this squad. Maybe they can do it, but the proof will be in their performance. There is an arrogance in them that, if they succeed, will be justified as self-confidence, but if they fail, will be revealed as hubris. 

The jury is out yet. 

They threw out talented players that were under-productive or had questionable characters or poor work ethics.  And they were rewarded by crafting a playoff team.  With extra picks and cap room, to boot. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think what stands out is that it's hard to find a similar situation where talent dumps like this have worked out.

The whole "winning with love" thing is not new.......think Dick Vermeil.......but what usually characterizes those types of coaches is an ability to deal with and develop immature players.

McD is going Belichick with regard to personnel but also trying to sell himself as the coach that loves them.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Regardless, their margin for error in talent evaluation going forward is minute if they plan on remaining competitive in the next couple seasons.

Worked out pretty well this year, donchathink?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His play here in a 3-4 wasn't worth his contract.  Neither was his play this past year in a 4-3 - demotivated and demoralized would cover it, though he did contribute against the run.  Early assessments in Jax are he's not the dominant player he once was, though he does contribute as he did here.

If he's motivated in the off season, trains like crazy, and comes back as a lean mean sacking machine he may have a resurgence as he's playing besides two all-stars again and he'll get his shots. 

If he parties down and feels ill-used, he's likely to stay where he is, which is not, right now, at all-pro

Edit: I want to add that I think the Jags may prove their own worst enemies going into next week.  They are feisty and confident, which is good, but they play like punks at times.  The play that took Taylor out was a dirty play.  Do that to Tom Brady, you'll be penalized, fined, and suspended.  They need to learn that in Foxboro, they are playing the Zebras as well as the Pats.

I dislike the Jags very much. They take after their head coach. Even though he is a disciplinarian he must encourage that stuff. Bills were much like the Jags his final season.

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

He's telling the truth.

He is an all-pro; he was the best player on our team on both sides of the ball, when he was in the mood to play.  

That was rare and overall, he did nothing to help his situation within the Bills organization.

F him.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

McDermott switches his 1 tech and 3tech depending on over / under combination

Kyle played the 1 and 3 tech This year and so does short and Star

I never saw Marcell playing 3tech. And tho I don't watch a lot of Carolina, usually they had Star playing 1tech when I did watch them last playoffs. (2016)

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

He is an all-pro; he was the best player on our team on both sides of the ball, when he was in the mood to play.  

That was rare and overall, he did nothing to help his situation within the Bills organization.

F him.

I actually don't disagree. But he is telling the truth about the Bills organization and what happened with him and McDermott. McDermott put bums on the field because he was butthurt at Marcell not falling in line with his cult of personality.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I never saw Marcell playing 3tech. And tho I don't watch a lot of Carolina, usually they had Star playing 1tech when I did watch them last playoffs. (2016)

Dareus has played the 0,1,3, and 5 techniques at one time or another as a pro. 

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I actually don't disagree. But he is telling the truth about the Bills organization and what happened with him and McDermott. McDermott put bums on the field because he was butthurt at Marcell not falling in line with his cult of personality.

this is an interesting view.  someone could say mcdermott wants hard working guys who are leaders and help elevate those around them with their play and attitude, but your way of saying it is cute.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I made a thread when McDermott came here about his 43 under / over defense. You can still check it out but it's locked to reply because it's been inactive for 6 months

It's only a few pics for comparison but I watched enough Carolina to see they flip 1 and 3 tech based on over under alignment.

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I made a thread when McDermott came here about his 43 under defense. You can still check it out but it's locked to reply because it's been inactive for 6 months

It's only a few pics for comparison but I watched enough Carolina to see they flip 1 and 3 tech based on over under alignment.

They did that with Marcell? Marcell played 1tech all the time from what I saw. I might not know the difference but if I missed it, point it out.

Edited by CuddyDark

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

They did that with Marcell? Marcell play 1tech all the time from what I saw. I might not know the difference but if I missed it ,point it out.

Marcell didn't play that much for us this year and we traded him so long ago I cannot say for 100% without looking back at the tape what technique he's in

im saying historically McDermott does switch It up so why switch now.

i will look right now to see if I ever saw marcell at the 3 this year. Maybe your right

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Marcell didn't play that much for us this year and we traded him so long ago I cannot say for 100% without looking back at the tape what technique he's in

im saying historically McDermott does switch   It up so why switch now

What does history matter to Marcell? The 1tech in his defense is not a stat player.