Available FA's who might be a fit with the BIlls

BmarvB

19 hours ago, the skycap said:

Bradford would be a great bridge QB. Bradford wouldn't be required to do the things he had to do in Minnesota because we have Shady. The playaction game would be AWESOME because we'd have a QB who could make throws with accuracy and utilize the middle of the field better than Tyrod. Bradford wouldn't cause the Bills to "break the bank" acquiring him and still allow them to win while the drafted QB learns. 

Bradford would be perfect in the new system.  He just needs to stay healthy which is a huge problem.  Availability is a big deal with this coaching staff but I'd love Bradford and a rookie behind him to learn the ropes.

If I am the Bills this is my plan for defense going into the off season. We need some starters but also need cheap depth. Obviously we won’t sign a million guys, but these are some of my thoughts.  

CB - EJ Gaines - I think Gaines comes back. He's had an inconsistent career so far and while he is good, he is not a great fit for every defense. He had a great year for McDermott and I think it makes the most sense for him to stay put. Kyle Fuller is a great fit and a guy I really like if things don’t work with Gaines. A guy like Ross Cockrell who was drafted to be a zone corner could help as a nickel.

S - I'm grabbing Cody Davis of the Rams. He's a bigger safety who can play down in the box and is an ace special teamer. We need depth here. I'd re-sign Shamarko Thomas as well.

LB - This is a tough spot to fill but there are a few option out there. First,  I try to grab Tahir Whitehead to play middle backer. He’s played both inside and outside and seems to be a good fit for this defense. If not him, maybe Christian Jones or Mason Foster.  I think Jones has some untapped potential and was miscast in the Bears 3-4.  Also, I’d keep an eye on New England to see if they make a cap casualty out of Shea McClellin. He’s coming off of IR and the Pats have had some youngers guys step up and play well in his absence. McClellin has McDermott guy written all over him. He’s smart, versatile, and a tough player who is still young. You could plug him right in the middle. For depth and special teams I sign a guy like Jordan Tripp who can play all three linebacker positions.  

DE - I’m keeping an eye on LA to see if Robert Quinn shakes loose as a cap casualty. They are going to try to re-sign Joyner, Johnson, and Watkins and some people believe that either Mark Barron or Quinn will shake loose. DeMarcus Lawrence is the crown jewel in FA but will be too expensive. I like Aaron Lynch, but he reported overweight last year. Doesn’t seem to be a McDermott type. Kony Ealy makes sense, though we did not put in a claim on him when he was on waivers. Trent Murphy, who is coming of an injury from the Redskins is very tough and has some pass rush ability. He's played a lot of OLB but is more of a defensive end in my opinion. Cassius Marsh could be a depth guy to help with pass rush.

DT - I think the first call in free agency has to be Star Lotulelei no? We badly need a 1 technique. Bennie Logan is very good as well. If the Rams keep Quinn and Barron, Michael Brockers could be the odd man out and I would be all over him. Jay Bromley could be a good fit as well.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If I am the Bills this is my plan for defense going into the off season. We need some starters but also need cheap depth. Obviously we won’t sign a million guys, but these are some of my thoughts.  

CB - EJ Gaines - I think Gaines comes back. He's had an inconsistent career so far and while he is good, he is not a great fit for every defense. He had a great year for McDermott and I think it makes the most sense for him to stay put. Kyle Fuller is a great fit and a guy I really like if things don’t work with Gaines. A guy like Ross Cockrell who was drafted to be a zone corner could help as a nickel.

S - I'm grabbing Cody Davis of the Rams. He's a bigger safety who can play down in the box and is an ace special teamer. We need depth here. I'd re-sign Shamarko Thomas as well.

LB - This is a tough spot to fill but there are a few option out there. First,  I try to grab Tahir Whitehead to play middle backer. He’s played both inside and outside and seems to be a good fit for this defense. If not him, maybe Christian Jones or Mason Foster.  I think Jones has some untapped potential and was miscast in the Bears 3-4.  Also, I’d keep an eye on New England to see if they make a cap casualty out of Shea McClellin. He’s coming off of IR and the Pats have had some youngers guys step up and play well in his absence. McClellin has McDermott guy written all over him. He’s smart, versatile, and a tough player who is still young. You could plug him right in the middle. For depth and special teams I sign a guy like Jordan Tripp who can play all three linebacker positions.  

DE - I’m keeping an eye on LA to see if Robert Quinn shakes loose as a cap casualty. They are going to try to re-sign Joyner, Johnson, and Watkins and some people believe that either Mark Barron or Quinn will shake loose. DeMarcus Lawrence is the crown jewel in FA but will be too expensive. I like Aaron Lynch, but he reported overweight last year. Doesn’t seem to be a McDermott type. Kony Ealy makes sense, though we did not put in a claim on him when he was on waivers. Trent Murphy, who is coming of an injury from the Redskins is very tough and has some pass rush ability. He's played a lot of OLB but is more of a defensive end in my opinion. Cassius Marsh could be a depth guy to help with pass rush.

DT - I think the first call in free agency has to be Star Lotulelei no? We badly need a 1 technique. Bennie Logan is very good as well. If the Rams keep Quinn and Barron, Michael Brockers could be the odd man out and I would be all over him. Jay Bromley could be a good fit as well.

I'm reading his spotrac page and I don't understand why would he be an option. Does he or the team have the option to opt out of the last two years of that contract?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-quinn-7729/

They will eventually need the money for Geoff and Donald. 

3 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I'm reading his spotrac page and I don't understand why would he be an option. Does he or the team have the option to opt out of the last two years of that contract?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-quinn-7729/

They will eventually need the money for Geoff and Donald. 

They could cut him or look to trade him.  They have UFAs coming up like  LaMarcus Joyner, Trumaine Johnson, Sammy Watkins. And like you said they eventually need money for Donald, Gurley, Goff. They have some time for Goff and Gurley, but Donald is set to be a UFA after 2018. 

3 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I like Preston Brown, he's not the most athletic guy but he has started almost every game as a pro (62/64), since his rookie years he has been calling the defensive plays, he's a good form tackler, he's around the ball, and a good presence in the locker room, plus he's just 25 years old. I think he would be good for another contract, of maybe four years.

Would I prefer someone like Lucke Kuechly? sure, but we won't find him in FA. We should try to find that one via draft. 

Preston Brown was one of the reasons Saints ran all over us. Preston Brown is a 3-4 LB not 4-3 ILB

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Preston Brown was one of the reasons Saints ran all over us. Preston Brown is a 3-4 LB not 4-3 ILB

He's also one of the reasons Bortles ran all over the place. Those long scrambles don't happen unless your linebackers are SLOOOOW. Maybe the QB scrambles for 10 yards here and there, but not 38 yarders. He's a two down backer and he could be a SAM, but he isn't a MIKE in this defense. I think he could come back and take over the spot the Lorax occupied as a part time, 2 down linebacker. 

22 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The main reason the Saints ran all over us was the absence of Dareus. When the guys up front are manhandled at the LOS no LB will look good.  Both the Jets and the Saints ran all over us until we somewhat adjusted, which was remarkable, I must say. 

• Like (+1) 1

The main reason the Saints ran all over us was the absence of Dareus. When the guys up front are manhandled at the LOS no LB will look good.  Both the Jets and the Saints ran all over us until we somewhat adjusted, which was remarkable, I must say. 

Agreed. Get Star and draft Vita Vea! No more runs up the damn middle!!

• Like (+1) 2

This is a great point. It really was a gaping hole after they traded Marcell. Preston Brown does suck though. 

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is a great point. It really was a gaping hole after they traded Marcell. Preston Brown does suck though. 

I respect your opinion but suck is a strong word for me to describe Brown's play. You may dislike him for the current system, and I do agree to certain extent, but I believe Brown is a player versatile enough to help you win games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fixxxer said:

I respect your opinion but suck is a strong word for me to describe Brown's play. You may dislike him for the current system, and I do agree to certain extent, but I believe Brown is a player versatile enough to help you win games. 

You are right. It's probably not fair of me . He's not a good fit for what we do. I do like his energy and leadership and such. He's just too slow and being asked to do things he isn't good at. 

That list is sort of ho-hum to me...  Seems to me like 'here's a list of the top 50 possible FA' - I'm going to try to add a Bills angle on all of them.

Lot's of players on the list we (fans) like who won't even hit the market - or would be way overpriced.  Bills are still carrying a lot of dead cap space - I don't think they are going after the high priced names the national media thinks we/everyone should go after.  I think we still need so many blue chip players.

I think McD & Beane came in with a 2-3 year plan (the process), year 1 is done and they had magical luck to get a playoff drought over and had a strong draft class.  They aren't going to try to make a splash with Cousins or try to swing a trade for Smith.

I think they work to bring EJ Gaines back, Kyle if he doesn't retire - as a locker room presence and I suspect part of a rotation given his age.  I think Star from the Panthers is likely given the link to McD.  Too bad Jimmy G won't be an option.  I think he'd have been a great fit with the new OC who has NE ties to him running the same system.  I also suspect Webb will be back - as will Cadet.

This will be an important offseason, continuing to build up the foundation.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, RyanC883 said:

Also with Bradford and a rookie, you can't lose.  The rookie either learns from a great QB, or the rookie learns for a few games then has to go in if Bradford is injured.  No QB controversy with Bradford on a 1-2 year deal.  

Its the 2013 strategy. draft a QB was in round 1. Run off the vet under contract. Sign an injury riddled somewhat effective/marginal QB. When he gets injured around week 5, send in the rook. Just make sure all mats are put away.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, RyanC883 said:

Also with Bradford and a rookie, you can't lose.  The rookie either learns from a great QB, or the rookie learns for a few games then has to go in if when Bradford is injured 2 games into the season.  No QB controversy with Bradford on a 1-2 year deal.  

FIFY

• Sad 1

I like to see us keep the mid teir theme going. 

RB

Jerrick Mckinnon- wouldn't cost much and can play multiple roles for Daboll . He's smooth out the bkfield catching the ball and has speed to take to house from anywhere on the field.  He's also become a much better RB running threw the tackles the past 2 seasons. Draft a bk (Sony Michael) and sign Mckinnon and we will have the best trio of bks in the NFL. 

TE - Trey Burton this guy is a gamer a young healthy version of Charles Clay. Burton would be immediate upgrade for us at TE and would allow us to cut ties with Clay during the offseason.

Wr - Taylor Gabriel gives us a speedster we definitely need to open things up underneath.  

These 3 signings won't break the bank and would give some much needed play makers on the offensive side of the ball.  Also gives us flexibility in the draft to add some talent to our Defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I like to see us keep the mid teir theme going. 

RB

Jerrick Mckinnon- wouldn't cost much and can play multiple roles for Daboll . He's smooth out the bkfield catching the ball and has speed to take to house from anywhere on the field.  He's also become a much better RB running threw the tackles the past 2 seasons. Draft a bk (Sony Michael) and sign Mckinnon and we will have the best trio of bks in the NFL. 

TE - Trey Burton this guy is a gamer a young healthy version of Charles Clay. Burton would be immediate upgrade for us at TE and would allow us to cut ties with Clay during the offseason.

Wr - Taylor Gabriel gives us a speedster we definitely need to open things up underneath.  

These 3 signings won't break the bank and would give some much needed play makers on the offensive side of the ball.  Also gives us flexibility in the draft to add some talent to our Defense. 

McKinnon is a nice change of pace back. I think he may follow Shurmur. I think Burton is going to go someplace where he can be the immediate starter. I don't think we cut Charles Clay just yet. I think he will be better in Daboll's offense where he played earlier in his career. Gabriel is a nice receiver but he is tiny. He's a 3/4 at best in my opinion. I do like his speed though. 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:35 PM, reddogblitz said:

Its the 2013 strategy. draft a QB was in round 1. Run off the vet under contract. Sign an injury riddled somewhat effective/marginal QB. When he gets injured around week 5, send in the rook. Just make sure all mats are put away.

Well, in fairness, Bradford is much better than Kolb, so that may merit the risk.  And I feel that our 1st round pick will be better than EJ Manuel.  

On 1/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Agreed. Get Star and draft Vita Vea! No more runs up the damn middle!!

And bring back K. Williams.  Draft an Edge guy or hope Lawson turns into that.   Your suggestion is not too out of line with what the Panther's model was on D.  And it's a winning one, Imo.  Make the teams throw into one of the best secondaries.  Have fun w/ that! 

I really dont care as much about the names as I do scheme fits....McD is doing a very good job with this.

I def want Gaines back......Cadet should be a cheap sign and he fits the offense.....Robinson is someone I would look hard at at WR

I am thinking there is a real chance that we give up a lot of draft capital this year to get that QB......so they need to be smart on the free agents and cannot have misses or guys that were names but unmotivated.