Mularkey now out in Tennessee as HC

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Mariota is athletic, but he isn't a top end passer and doesn't see the whole field.  He just doesn't do a good job anticipating what is going to happen.  A good safety will eat Mariota up.

He has the right stuff to be a good QB. He needs a mentor, Mariota is an accurate QB and an intriguing protege to some coach out there. I don't think McDaniels is the right guy though, McDaniels would win a Super Bowl or two with Luck.

10 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Mariota is athletic, but he isn't a top end passer and doesn't see the whole field.  He just doesn't do a good job anticipating what is going to happen.  A good safety will eat Mariota up.

Agreed.  Mariota has always seemed to me more like a running back who throws than a QB who runs. 

I don't think Mularkey is a good coach and probably deserved to get fired. But man, the NFL is ruthless. Make the playoffs and win a game = lose your job.

that said, this is a very tasty opening. Lots of young talent there and Nashville is a nice place to leave with little pressure.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Agreed.  Mariota has always seemed to me more like a running back who throws than a QB who runs. 

He was great in 2015.  I'd be more worried about his ability to stay healthy. 

No idea where some of you guys get info on any rant. The simple truth is the GM wanted him to fire his OC and go in a different direction and Mike said no. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/sports/nfl/tennessee-titans/mike-mularkey-titans-part-ways-after-failure-to-reach-agreement

That GM Jon Robinson is an idiot as next season Luck will be back at QB with the Colts along with a better HC and DeShaun Watson will also be back with the Texans so I doubt both the Jags and Titans even make the playoffs next year. Not with Mariota and Bortles at QB at least. Mularkey had the right idea in developing Mariota in a run-first offensive scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

THIS is why he’s gone. And You could see it coming after he said all this. He used the EXACT same language and complaints in that rant as he did with the Buffalo media when he quit in 2005. He complained then about how it was all too tough on his family. His kids were picked on in school all that stuff. History is just repeating itself. Doubt he will ever be a head coach again. 

I think so too.  He walked away from two situations. This one sounded like a bad situation though.  He'd had an extension but a very short leash and have to work with a GM that he doesn't trust.  Sounds like it he might have been set up to fail

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

No idea where some of you guys get info on any rant. The simple truth is the GM wanted him to fire his OC and go in a different direction and Mike said no. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/sports/nfl/tennessee-titans/mike-mularkey-titans-part-ways-after-failure-to-reach-agreement

That GM Jon Robinson is an idiot as next season Luck will be back at QB with the Colts along with a better HC and DeShaun Watson will also be back with the Texans so I doubt both the Jags and Titans even make the playoffs next year. Not with Mariota and Bortles at QB at least. Mularkey had the right idea in developing Mariota in a run-first offensive scheme.

The rant was either the day before or day of their Wild Card game vs KC. I’m sure you can find it on YouTube if you care to. I doubt his rant to the Buffalo media in 2005 is anywhere on YouTube though. But I saw them both and they were very similar. 

31 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He has the right stuff to be a good QB. He needs a mentor, Mariota is an accurate QB and an intriguing protege to some coach out there. I don't think McDaniels is the right guy though, McDaniels would win a Super Bowl or two with Luck.

His accuracy is right around 61% to 62% which is average.

Mariota isn't much better than Tyrod.  Both athletic QBs that lack passing necessities. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They probably slept on it and were like “why the hell do we want to keep Mularky?”

When I think of Mularky I consider him one of those recycled coaches who are nondescript and indistinguishable from the other retread coaches. He's not a bad HC but he certainly isn't one of the good HCs. A coach such as McDermott is going to have his supporters and critics. At least there is a personality and presence about him. With a coach such as Mularkey there is nothing impressionable/impressive about him that would stoke an interest enough to make you care about such an invisible presence.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When I think of Mularky I consider him one of those recycled coaches who are nondescript and indistinguishable from the other retread coaches. He's not a bad HC but he certainly isn't one of the good HCs. A coach such as McDermott is going to have his supporters and critics. At least there is a personality and presence about him. With a coach such as Mularkey there is nothing impressionable/impressive about him that would stoke an interest enough to make you care about such an invisible presence.  

Well said, you could plug in a handful of guys and get what you get from him. 

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Spot on John.  I was about to say the same for both

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

THIS is why he’s gone. And You could see it coming after he said all this. He used the EXACT same language and complaints in that rant as he did with the Buffalo media when he quit in 2005. He complained then about how it was all too tough on his family. His kids were picked on in school all that stuff. History is just repeating itself. Doubt he will ever be a head coach again. 

It’s hard to say because the NFL has a wash, rinse, repeat mentality when it comes to coaches.   He probably will not be a HC again, hard to say.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

He is oatmeal in my mind. Not bad, but bland.