What's the price to move up and get our guy?

I understand the fears of trading away the farm to get our QB when we have so many other immediate needs. However, watching the Rams and Eagles this year, I can't help but remember how almost everyone laughed at them in 2016 when they paid the following to go get their QBs for the next decade or so:

Rams - Gave: 2016 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd, 2017 1st, 3rd

Received: 2016 1st overall pick, 4th, 6th

Eagles - Gave: 2016 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2017 1st, 2018 2nd

Received: 2016 2nd overall pick and a 2017 4th

I'm not saying we should make such a dramatic move just because it worked for both the Rams and Eagles so quickly. I'm asking - if Darnold and Rosen come out of the combine with projections of being "the guy" worthy, how much would you be willing to give away to go get them?

• Like (+1) 1

IMO you don't need the combine to determine if they are worth it. Game tape tells the tale.. Any team who draft a player based upon combine numbers could be drafting  a Maybin type of player.

as for the Bills if they have that much faith in a QB to move up you make the move because a franchise QB is THE game changer in this league

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

It's irrelevant at this point until we can get a gauge on what the team will do in FA.  If they do not make the FA acquisitions at certain positions there's just no way we can do that.  The team has way too many holes.

I get that, 100%. I wish I could remember how far way both the Eagle and Rams seemed from being complete teams as well. I mean, I know how the Rams filled their WR holes, haha! Seriously though, I'm just curious what we think our price would be....in this bizzaro world where we would make this move.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

IMO you don't need the combine to determine if they are worth it. Game tape tells the tale.. Any team who draft a player based upon combine numbers could be drafting  a Maybin type of player.

as for the Bills if they have that much faith in a QB to move up you make the move because a franchise QB is THE game changer in this league

True, I don't personally put that much stock in the combine, but I've given in to the fact that it plays a role in the overall evaluation. Agreed, the real story is already on tape.

The Eagles WR unit needed to be upgraded, so did the Rams but that was about it.  The Eagles were set at OL, TE, DL, LB, Safety, maybe needed some CB help but they drafted Sydney Jones and then made the trade for Darby.  Their HB's were not bad but they could have upgraded the position and they did this year with Blount and a trade for Ajiyi.  So their roster was actually pretty set in a lot of areas.  The Rams were similar.  They had good pieces on defense, they had Gurley, the TE position was set, for the most part the OL was set.  They needed WR's though.  So to me teams that do that they don't necessarily have holes but more of we can upgrade this position.

We have holes until we know what the FA moves will be.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I don't think the combine physical testing really moves anyone in the eyes of teams anymore. The media might move guys based on numbers but the teams ready know what they think of the guys physically. It's the interviews that can change where a player stands.

For example, if say, Josh Allen gets interviewed and can't read defensive keys to save his life, he's not getting picked high. But if he has a good interview and shows he has high football IQ, it's going to solidify his standing

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Broncos and Browns the target in the top 5.

Both 2018 1st's

1 of our 2018 2nd's

2019 1st

Tyrod Taylor

What about the Colts at #3? Obviously we miss out on Darnold and Rosen top 2, but if we really have our sights set on Mayfield or Allen, I'm guessing the Colts would love a basket of picks to re-tool?

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

The Eagles WR unit needed to be upgraded, so did the Rams but that was about it.  The Eagles were set at OL, TE, DL, LB, Safety, maybe needed some CB help but they drafted Sydney Jones and then made the trade for Darby.  Their HB's were not bad but they could have upgraded the position and they did this year with Blount and a trade for Ajiyi.  So their roster was actually pretty set in a lot of areas.  The Rams were similar.  They had good pieces on defense, they had Gurley, the TE position was set, for the most part the OL was set.  They needed WR's though.  So to me teams that do that they don't necessarily have holes but more of we can upgrade this position.

We have holes until we know what the FA moves will be.

I hear ya, there's no telling exactly who will be out there, but maybe I'm being naïve - I just assume every FA year you will have a bunch of guys out there and you're lucky if you snag your top choices...and then your scouting team proves their worth as you find some unexpected gems to play big roles. It wouldn't detract from the idea that if you want your guy, and you believe you can get him, what's the price?

3 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

What about the Colts at #3? Obviously we miss out on Darnold and Rosen top 2, but if we really have our sights set on Mayfield or Allen, I'm guessing the Colts would love a basket of picks to re-tool?

I hear ya, there's no telling exactly who will be out there, but maybe I'm being naïve - I just assume every FA year you will have a bunch of guys out there and you're lucky if you snag your top choices...and then your scouting team proves their worth as you find some unexpected gems to play big roles. It wouldn't detract from the idea that if you want your guy, and you believe you can get him, what's the price?

I think #1 could be in play. Browns may go Allen at 4. Bills draft Sam Darnold #1 overall. You heard it here first.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I understand the fears of trading away the farm to get our QB when we have so many other immediate needs. However, watching the Rams and Eagles this year, I can't help but remember how almost everyone laughed at them in 2016 when they paid the following to go get their QBs for the next decade or so:

Rams - Gave: 2016 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd, 2017 1st, 3rd

Received: 2016 1st overall pick, 4th, 6th

Eagles - Gave: 2016 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2017 1st, 2018 2nd

Received: 2016 2nd overall pick and a 2017 4th

I'm not saying we should make such a dramatic move just because it worked for both the Rams and Eagles so quickly. I'm asking - if Darnold and Rosen come out of the combine with projections of being "the guy" worthy, how much would you be willing to give away to go get them?

You left out a lot of information here.  It's not just the round but where the pick is.  That is huge, especially considering where we are trying to trade up from.  Those teams started a lot higher than we are starting.  It will take even more in my opinion.  Maybe 2018 1,1,2,3 and 2019 1,2,4.  You must consider all of the other QB needy teams that will want to try to move up too.  We will see.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

To me, it kinda does actually because if you sign a FA QB, who then becomes your guy?  Are you swinging for the fences or are you content with grooming someone?  So to me, there is a direct connection to what the Bills do via FA and what they'll do in the draft.  Secondly, the issue is WHO is that guy?  And who is willing to trade with us?  Just because we have capital doesn't mean a team like the Giants, Broncos, Colts want to trade.  Hell, the guy we covet might be their guy.

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I think #1 could be in play. Browns may go Allen at 4. Bills draft Sam Darnold #1 overall. You heard it here first.

I'm not 100% sold they will move up that high, but I'm very sure that if they feel they know they have their guy, and it's someone they fear won't make it past the top 10-15, they will move up and get him. Hearing Beane talk about a QB being the priority, and having us make the playoffs essentially a year earlier than expected - they have the "grace" if you will to make a bold move to bring home our guy.

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Josh Allen may not make it past 3 if the Colts trade out.  That'd be a risky move by the Browns

Yeah , the draft is a game.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I believe Darnold and Rosen will be selected at 1 and 2 by the Browns and Giants who both need Franchise Signal Callers.   

Allen will be in the mix.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

To me, it kinda does actually because if you sign a FA QB, who then becomes your guy?  Are you swinging for the fences or are you content with grooming someone?  So to me, there is a direct connection to what the Bills do via FA and what they'll do in the draft.  Secondly, the issue is WHO is that guy?  And who is willing to trade with us?  Just because we have capital doesn't mean a team like the Giants, Broncos, Colts want to trade.  Hell, the guy we covet might be their guy.

Let's look at the examples in question. How did they use as their "bridge" guys? Eagles planned on Bradford. Obviously we know what happened. Minny was desperate, and Wentz proved he was a day 1 ready guy. Nice way to get some picks back! Rams went with Keenum. Didn't work out but it gave Goff a chance to get in earlier than expected, take his lumps, and come out with that valuable experience to step in as the guy year 2. So who is our guy? TT? Bradford? Some other random back up journeyman? Sure...whatever...as long as you know that you know that you know you have your QB of the future in the oven.