Bills Offensive Line

Rob's House

I keep reading about how bad our O-line is, but how much of that is due to personnel? Going into next season, assuming we don't move anyone, we should have Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Ducasse, Dawkins from left to right. 

That really doesn't look too bad. I know Duccasse isn't great, but he was serviceable down the stretch. Wood is decent, Incognito's a legit pro-bowler, and Glenn (assuming he's healthy) and Dawkins make for nice bookend tackles.

Do we really need significant upgrades or do we just need better coaching and scheming?

8 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I keep reading about how bad our O-line is, but how much of that is due to personnel? Going into next season, assuming we don't move anyone, we should have Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Ducasse, Dawkins from left to right. 

That really doesn't look too bad. I know Duccasse isn't great, but he was serviceable down the stretch. Wood is decent, Incognito's a legit pro-bowler, and Glenn (assuming he's healthy) and Dawkins make for nice bookend tackles.

Do we really need significant upgrades or do we just need better coaching and scheming?

We don't have good depth.  I don't know if Glenn will come back from his injury.  Incognito may be gone if the racial slur is proved.  Wood is, as you wrote, average right now.  We need a dominating center that can preserve the pocket for the QB. Our OL definitely requires work.  

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

We don't have good depth.  I don't know if Glenn will come back from his injury.  Incognito may be gone if the racial slur is proved.  Wood is, as you wrote, average right now.  We need a dominating center that can preserve the pocket for the QB. Our OL definitely requires work.  

Depending on who we bring back I think our depth is pretty good. Mills, Groy, and Henderson are sub-par starters, but they're good back ups. 

Upgrades at RG and C would be ideal, but are they absolutely necessary?

Edited by Rob's House

1. Keep Glenn if healthy.  He is still much better than Dawkins

2. Hope Dawkins can play RT

3. Cut Ducasse and play Miller at RG

4. Keep Groy and Wood but make it an honest competition in TC.  Wood has really played below average football. Groy looked good last year. 

5. They have too many holes in defensive front 7 and if they use a draft pick(s) on a QB to address the o-line until late in the draft.  If Glenn is cut/traded then this group is in trouble.

FA can change everything.  But a line of Glenn, Incognito, Wood/Groy, Miller, Dawkins for 2018 would be fine with me.

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Keep Glenn if healthy.  He is still much better than Dawkins

2. Hope Dawkins can play RT

3. Cut Ducasse and play Miller at RG

4. Keep Groy and Wood but make it an honest competition in TC.  Wood has really played below average football. Groy looked good last year. 

5. They have too many holes in defensive front 7 and if they use a draft pick(s) on a QB to address the o-line until late in the draft.  If Glenn is cut/traded then this group is in trouble.

FA can change everything.  But a line of Glenn, Incognito, Wood/Groy, Miller, Dawkins for 2018 would be fine with me.

I don't think Glenn is worth 12 mill per as he isn't that much better. For that kind of money, you would expect a pro bowler. I for one wouldn't mind trading him to be able to afford to build up the line in other areas.

Ganesh has some points as the line could be revamped/upgraded at nearly every position. I would keep Woods and Incognito unless the latter finds himself in another mess with the NFL FO. 

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/12/bills-pro-football-focus-cordy-glenn-richie-incognito-tyrod-taylor-dion-dawkins/

It seems like every team in the NFL would like to upgrade their offensive line. And the problem of depth is universal.

Having said that, I agree with the premise of this thread: this is a solid line and considering all the needs this team has, investing in the o-line should not be a high priority. Yes, if you can get an affordable stud FA or find a gem int he draft to improve along that line, do it. But big spending or high draft choices should not be an off-season priority, The people we have are solid, they need to stay healthy and a better scheme (coaching) that fits them--like in the two years previous to this season.

5 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Not trying to be a Tyrod advocate here, but Tyrod makes the OL look better than they really are with his escapability. You saw what happened to Peterman behind the same OL. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Personally, I think the O Line has been very good for the past 3+ years.  My concern is age/effectiveness.  Incognito and Wood, specifically.

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Two guys with Daboll ties available in free agency guard Josh Kline and tackle Cam Fleming. They could be our new right side. 

Power scheme and the OL is already ready to dominate. A free agent OT will cost close to what Glenn makes. Just restructure his contract. Put him at RT. Miller wins RG. Groy and Mills depth.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Personally, I think the O Line has been very good for the past 3+ years.  My concern is age/effectiveness.  Incognito and Wood, specifically.

Based on the money saved and age, I would cut Incognito this off-season. Draft a guy, sign a guy, let Groy play there, I don't care. Just save the $7 million. Better to move on a year too soon than a year too late. At 35 years old, there will not be a gradual decline. He will hit a wall.

Give me a RG and a young developmental interior lineman to sit and learn from Wood and Incognito so he could potentially replace one of them.  Do not make the mistake of pushing the offensive line to the back burner, it should be a high priority not the other way around.  Great offensive lines make other players better

• Like (+1) 1

At bare minimum the Bills need to bring in a blue chip guard. Not necessary because Ducasse is that bad, but Icog is getting old.. Could be a drafted player or a free agent.  The reality is no O-line will be all pro-bowlers, but got to have a couple of standouts.