Bradford will be the Available Viking QB

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I disagree.  I think Keenum had a bad career for a QB thus far.  Been in the league 6 seasons while bouncing around between the rams and Texans.  Wasn't good for anyone until this season.  Also some of those passes... even the game winning pass this week is the same type of ball that Zay Jones would have dropped and people would have been all over Tyrod for a poor throw.  Sometimes systems make a QB/offense look good and sometimes receivers make awesome plays and no one says horrible pass.

And before the crowd jumps all over me calling me CoT... that was not a statement in defense of Tyrod.

amazing how someone even has t preface a comment for fear of being labled CoT......

I agree with your take

• Like (+1) 1

.....nice work if you can get it.....................

Total Earnings for Bradford through 2017 (through 8 seasons): $114 million

Total Passing Yards through 8 seasons:  19,049

Cost Per Yard: $5,984.56

Total TD passes through 8 seasons:  101

Cost Per TD pass:     $1.128 million each

Haven't read all 4 pages but lookng at what former Clevland coaches have done and wandering through Shurmur's history I noticed that Bradford literally ends up everywhere he coaches.  Technically that means nothing but it makes me think that Bradford will not be leaving the Vikings.

Edited by Maine-iac

On 1/14/2018 at 5:33 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

He wouldn't have been franchised. You're reacting in the moment, not off sound judgment. If I'm wrong, I'll own it, but keenum is not getting franchised. They've been cool on him all year.

One name:  Flacco

Prior to this year, Keenum was a throw away.  This year he has proven (miracle, or not) that he is a QB that can get his team at least to the NFC Championship.  That does not mean every other QB can, so his value is now elevated.  He's also proven that the guys in his huddle respect him (more valuable).  This would not be a decision based on one moment, or play, it would be based on his body of work this whole season.  Like it or not, the dude has played well.  Better than many QB's in the league this year.

Flacco was the QB of a Super Bowl team that had an extraordinary D, yet HE was the one who got paid.  Keenum getting franchised is not an absurd notion.  They would more likely sign him before getting to that point though.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, familykwi said:

One name:  Flacco

Prior to this year, Keenum was a throw away.  This year he has proven (miracle, or not) that he is a QB that can get his team at least to the NFC Championship.  That does not mean every other QB can, so his value is now elevated.  He's also proven that the guys in his huddle respect him (more valuable).  This would not be a decision based on one moment, or play, it would be based on his body of work this whole season.  Like it or not, the dude has played well.  Better than many QB's in the league this year.

Flacco was the QB of a Super Bowl team that had an extraordinary D, yet HE was the one who got paid.  Keenum getting franchised is not an absurd notion.  They would more likely sign him before getting to that point though.

Very good comparison. I would argue Flacco was a former first rounder, and had a good career to that before falling off the face of the earth after that amazing playoff run. So they would be more inclined than the Vikings are to extend Keenum. But I agree, great example.

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

It seems like no matter where Bradford goes he puts up good qb numbers till he gets hurt.

If we are going to draft a QB high......this might be as good a plan as any.

It actually worls well....draft a rookie and have him ready to go when Bradford goes on IR.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem I would have with that, were I a Vikings fan, is that your backup, to be worth carrying, had better be a durable guy whose availability you can count on.  With Bradford, he could go out for the season taking snaps in training camp, or dropping back on the Scout team, or the first time he's hit when he comes into the game.

My point is if Bradford is the backup he is less likely to get hurt and if Kennum did get hurt I think Bradford could play a game or two or three.Alot of solid backups never even see the field.I think he is the perfect backup.He has talent so if he is needed he could be more than servicable..I just think if the Bills are agressive Teddy could be a real good option and the Vikings are dealing from strength because they have 3qbs.I also think Teddy is a free agent so the Bills maybe could get him without a trade??,But knowing he has value tag him and trade him to the Bills...At the very least this off season the Bills have the ammo to draft,trade for or sign a free agent qb so the future looks bright....Go Bills!!!

35 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

My point is if Bradford is the backup he is less likely to get hurt and if Kennum did get hurt I think Bradford could play a game or two or three.Alot of solid backups never even see the field.I think he is the perfect backup.He has talent so if he is needed he could be more than servicable..I just think if the Bills are agressive Teddy could be a real good option and the Vikings are dealing from strength because they have 3qbs.I also think Teddy is a free agent so the Bills maybe could get him without a trade??,But knowing he has value tag him and trade him to the Bills...At the very least this off season the Bills have the ammo to draft,trade for or sign a free agent qb so the future looks bright....Go Bills!!!

You aren't listening

On 1/15/2018 at 10:20 AM, BillsRdue said:

After today, the Vikings will not let Keenum go. They will keep Teddy as a backup. He gets time to heal up and prove he can be a future guy. Bradford gets a new team.

He's a bit fragile for the Bills to put money into, but I wonder what Daboll thinks about him. I'd take a flyer if the price is right and draft Mayfield. 

The other option would be to trade for Smith, but I would not give up anything more than a 3rd and still draft Mayfield provided he falls to 21. 

It's looked that way for a while. Nothing much has changed. Not nearly as sure as you are about Bridgewater, though.

No thanks on Bradford. Doesn't fit what the Bills need.

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bills fans need to come to grips with the fact that there is a finite set of veteran QBs in the NFL "universe".  The list of available guys isn't going to increase.  It's only going to decrease in the next few weeks.  The Bills will be left will two choices. Either stick with Tyrod or get one of the few remaining veterans. There is ZERO chance that the Bills are turning the reigns over to a late round rookie and Peterman.  Coach McD is never going to let that happen to his freshly minted playoff team.

Alex Smith or McCown seem the most likely. Sanchez, Fitz or Henne maybe, mostly as QB whisperers / bridge guys.

Cousins would be better but the brain trust doesn't appear to be the types that pay such a high cost in FA. Bridgewater is an outside chance, he'd be a good pickup but probably won't be here.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Alex Smith or McCown seem the most likely. Sanchez, Fitz or Henne maybe, mostly as QB whisperers / bridge guys.

Sanchez?  The only way he whispers anything that gets results to a rookie QB is if we draft an underage girl.  The guy is a cretin and a terrible player.

53 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Sanchez?  The only way he whispers anything that gets results to a rookie QB is if we draft an underage girl.  The guy is a cretin and a terrible player.

Nonsense.

Not an especially good player. But as an on-field QB mentor, from all accounts he's smart, experienced and knowledgeable at this point. Two quick links on that:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-ryan-pace-nfl-meetings-spt-20170328-story.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-mark-sanchez-bears-quarterbacks-haugh-spt-0905-20170904-column.html

He's been used in Chicago precisely as a mentor who's right in Trubisky's ear telling him what's going on.

Not that I'm desperate to get the guy or anything. There's a reason I would want him only as a QB resource / backup.

18 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Very good comparison. I would argue Flacco was a former first rounder, and had a good career to that before falling off the face of the earth after that amazing playoff run. So they would be more inclined than the Vikings are to extend Keenum. But I agree, great example.

Flacco had a very good year in 2014.

I'm rapidly coming around to Alex Smith.  Everyone knows that the long term plan is to have a Highly Drafted Rookie take over the reigns....sooner than later.  I cannot see Cousins being comfortable with that, but Alex Smith might be at this point in his career. He was given his shot in SF and KC and did well but fell short.  A stint with the Bills would probably be considered as 'gravy' for him.

If not, then everyone will have to get used to Tyrod being that bridge.  I cannot see some of these other guys being any better than TT has been for this team (and I am NOT a Tyrod fan).  For example, watching someone like Bradford or Bridgewater go down to injury is going to be really painful for the WNY fan base and harken back to other, highly anticipated Free Agents who've been brought in only to hardly play a down in a Bills uniform.

Looking at all the contracts and money, as of right now, the easiest solution for the Bills is to hang on to Taylor for another year. He stands to make $10 mil next season. Alex Smith is looking at $14.5 mil for 2018. In order to get him you'd have to trade assets (either picks or players) and figure out whether or not he would restructure his deal or would want it kept the same if he knows he's entering a situation where he's likely going to hold down the fort for a season until their drafted QB is ready. 

Bradford got $21 mil for two years from Minnesota. If I had to guess I would imagine his injury history will cause teams to offer him something lower than that. But if he insists on a similar deal, would Buffalo wanna spend that type of money for a guy that has a hard time staying on the field and a guy that knows he has a new QB behind him waiting to take his spot.

Keenum is up in the air. He could follow Shurmur to the Giants if they decide to move on from Eli. Minnesota may try to lock him down with a big contract, but they also haven't given up on Bridgewater from what I've read. So who knows how that will shake out. Plus, I don't believe Keenum is the type of QB that's going to find the type of success he had this season on another team. He's asked to manage the game and limit mistakes and not much else because their defense is outstanding. Put 14, 17, 20 points on the board and let the D do their thing while Keenum spends the rest of the game handing off and throwing shorter, high success routes. 

Now there are other UFA QBs available, but none of them are really much of an upgrade over Taylor. Josh McCown *might* be somewhat of an upgrade in terms of his FBI and willingness to push the ball down the field. But he's gonna be 39 heading into 2018 and I believe injury kept him from playing a full 16 games this past season. Bills did speak with McCown a couple years ago but that was with an entirely different staff. 

I'm not advocating they keep Tyrod. I'm just kind of connecting the dots and piecing together things said by Beane and based on what I've gathered, the guy wants to clear up as much cap space as possible because he knows they have plenty of spots to fill. Is he willing to give up picks or players to acquire Alex Smith who would carry a larger base salary and cap hit for 2018? And doing this knowing that Smith is only going to be the guy for one season, two at the most. I dunno, doesn't seem to fit their philosophy right meow.

The rest of the UFA QB group leaves a lot to be desired and IMO none of them are an upgrade over Taylor. I do believe we have seen Taylor's ceiling. He's a guy that's capable of 3000 yards, 20 TDs, 550 rushing yards and a few rushing TDs. If they revamp the defense and get that unit playing at a top 10 or top 5 level, then Taylor could feasibly find himself in a Keenum-type situation where all he has to do is protect the ball and protect a lead and let the defense do their thing. That's a lot of if's, but... it's possible.

In reality... we don't have a clue which direction this regime wants to go. They don't seem sold on Taylor but he doesn't break the bank on them, allowing them to sign FAs and have $$ for their draft picks. Does Daboll come in and say, "I see what Taylor does and I can work with that, in fact, I can get more out of him." Or, will he be more inclined to go with a rookie QB, QBs that he's likely more familiar with having just finished a season in the NCAA.

Too many questions! Speculation! What's gonna happen?! Hurry up March!