Bradford will be the Available Viking QB

On 1/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, BillsRdue said:

After today, the Vikings will not let Keenum go. They will keep Teddy as a backup. He gets time to heal up and prove he can be a future guy. Bradford gets a new team.

He's a bit fragile for the Bills to put money into, but I wonder what Daboll thinks about him. I'd take a flyer if the price is right and draft Mayfield. 

The other option would be to trade for Smith, but I would not give up anything more than a 3rd and still draft Mayfield provided he falls to 21. 

Maybe you should change the title of the thread and your post, so that it reads more like your opinion, instead of fact.

If the Vikings do love Case Keenum. Why not keep Bradford as the backup.Everyone agrees he is a good qb who just can't stay healthy.If he is the backup he would be a good one to come off the bench if Keenum gets hurt.The Vikings could get a high draft pick for Teddy Bridgewater and make their tem even stronger after winning this years superbowl...If the Bills made a reasonable offer for Teddy I am sure the Vikings would have to at least listen................GO bills!!

Bills fans need to come to grips with the fact that there is a finite set of veteran QBs in the NFL "universe".  The list of available guys isn't going to increase.  It's only going to decrease in the next few weeks.  The Bills will be left will two choices. Either stick with Tyrod or get one of the few remaining veterans. There is ZERO chance that the Bills are turning the reigns over to a late round rookie and Peterman.  Coach McD is never going to let that happen to his freshly minted playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I think Keenum is having a good career so far, getting better with each an everry game. Unlike Bradford, the arrow is pointing up, obviously, things could change for the worse but I think if he can avoid dumb plays like the int he threw against the Saints, that got them back into the game, he can be a succesful starter in this league. 

If we get Bradford, we need to improve the pass protection, he won't survive the month of September with Mills at RT. 

Bradford's knees aren't an issue of pass protection.  In 2014, he was lost in the pre-season on the closest thing you can get to a non-contact injury.  Essentially the Browns tackler was blocked into him and they kind of hugged briefly, then Bradford stepped away and crumpled to the turf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOqytc5n_0

A Philly fan site put together his full injury history as of the Philly trade (I think some early details are wrong, as he was active for 16 games in 2010)

http://gcobb.com/2015/07/14/sam-bradfords-disturbing-five-year-injury-history/

Basically, the man has been playing in the league 7 years, and he's had 3 years where he made it through >14 games.  And the concerns go beyond knees - he's lost games due to other injuries.  Those aren't good odds, folks.

Is he a crappy QB or a "down arrow", I don't think so.  Whether or not you agree, the primary concern is whether available, or whether he's an arrow pointing to "IR".

41 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

If the Vikings do love Case Keenum. Why not keep Bradford as the backup.Everyone agrees he is a good qb who just can't stay healthy.If he is the backup he would be a good one to come off the bench if Keenum gets hurt.The Vikings could get a high draft pick for Teddy Bridgewater and make their tem even stronger after winning this years superbowl...If the Bills made a reasonable offer for Teddy I am sure the Vikings would have to at least listen................GO bills!!

The problem I would have with that, were I a Vikings fan, is that your backup, to be worth carrying, had better be a durable guy whose availability you can count on.  With Bradford, he could go out for the season taking snaps in training camp, or dropping back on the Scout team, or the first time he's hit when he comes into the game.

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I really feel like Keenum is the next Matt Cassel. Has one solid season, the Vikings (or another team) will hand him a big contract and he'll fall back into obscurity and mediocre play.

Pat Shurmur is supposedly taking the Giants HC job, would he have Keenum follow? I dunno. Keenum strikes me as the type of QB that needs a really strong supporting cast around him. He's benefited from a tough defense all season and receivers that just simply get open. They don't have the greatest running game but they'll be better when they have Cook back. Giants don't have much of a running game or defense at the moment.

It's entirely possible Keenum could regress to Matt Cassel.  He does have a bit more track record playing in the league before this year, and it has its Cassel-like aspects especially last year with the Rams.  But from what I saw Sunday, his WR have made him.  Not just getting open, but that Diggs guy has a vertical leap like a volley or basketball player.  He's listed as 6'0" (maybe- if he slept on a board) and he's playing like he's 6'5".  They are contesting for quite a few balls that would be INTs or incompletions with another wideout.

In another post, I sarcastically said Keenum should look at Diggs and Thielen and quote Ruth 1:16.  I was not kidding.  In contrast this year, Eli Manning's WR have been playing like crap.  In the few games I saw, when they weren't failing to haul in catchable balls, they were deflecting them into the hands of opposing players.  Looks to me like their WR corps has degraded to Odell Beckham and NEXT! 

Keenum wouldn't look good there, even if the Vikes are willing to let him go.  OTOH, if you put Eli Manning with Keenum's guys, we just might be writing about his amazing resurgence.

Same logic applies to our Bills.  Upgrade the WR or prepare to be disappointed, no matter what Hot Young Hand we bring in.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's entirely possible Keenum could regress to Matt Cassel.  He does have a bit more track record playing in the league before this year, and it has its Cassel-like aspects especially last year with the Rams.  But from what I saw Sunday, his WR have made him.  Not just getting open, but that Diggs guy has a vertical leap like a volley or basketball player.  He's listed as 6'0" (maybe- if he slept on a board) and he's playing like he's 6'5".  They are contesting for quite a few balls that would be INTs or incompletions with another wideout.

In another post, I sarcastically said Keenum should look at Diggs and Thielen and quote Ruth 1:16.  I was not kidding.  In contrast this year, Eli Manning's WR have been playing like crap.  In the few games I saw, when they weren't failing to haul in catchable balls, they were deflecting them into the hands of opposing players.  Looks to me like their WR corps has degraded to Odell Beckham and NEXT! 

Keenum wouldn't look good there, even if the Vikes are willing to let him go.  OTOH, if you put Eli Manning with Keenum's guys, we just might be writing about his amazing resurgence.

Same logic applies to our Bills.  Upgrade the WR or prepare to be disappointed, no matter what Hot Young Hand we bring in.

This is excellent analysis.  Too often fans put all the blame on the QB without looking at "the rest of the picture".  Every QB needs protection and targets to have any kind of success.  The great ones probably can get by with a little less than most.

I will also put this out there:  is Kirk Cousins "the real deal" or just a lucky dog in the right offensive system?  There used to be discussions about Brady back in 2002 and 2003 whether he was "the real deal" or just a lucky dog in the right offensive system, too.  We don't expect QBs to come from Day 2 or Day 3 of the draft and light up the league.  I think there might be more of them out there but they just never get the opportunities, and usually, when they do, they fail (like most Day 1 QBs).

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You make good points, sir. Keenum definitely benefits from Diggs and Thielen as both receivers are very craft route runners and have a knack for gaining separation. That Thielen dude is outstanding. Crazy to think he went undrafted. I wonder how players like that fall through the cracks. And yeah, Diggs is another guy who wasn't at the top of anyone's board as they got him in the fifth round in 2015. They also have Treadwell, their first rounder from 2016, however, he's amassed a total of 21 receptions and 215 yards through two seasons where he's played in 25 total games. Don't know if his FBI isn't great and he isn't understanding route concepts and how to read and react to certain defenses but you'd think the first rounder would be the teams top guy and not the undrafted free agent. 

As for the Giants, IMO, and I think this is probably a widely shared opinion, that team just flat out quit on McAdoo at some point during the season. I watched a few Giants games this season and it really looked like players were just going through the motions. With McAdoo out, and (presumably) Shurmur coming in, that could revitalize the team and possibly bring Eli back up to a higher level of play. If Keenum follows Shurmur, I think in that situation I would say he has a decent chance to NOT be the next Matt Cassel as he'd be throwing to OBJ, Shephard, Engram, etc. But even with that, I see Keenum as a QB who needs a strong supporting cast and an offense that knows how to maximize his abilities, and hide his limitations. Also doesn't hurt that Keenum has a great defense capable of shutting teams down. 

I'm sure the QB carousel will be spinning this off-season and who knows where these dudes wind up but it's definitely been an interesting season. The whole "you can't win without a franchise QB" argument seems to have taken a hit. I'm not saying you DON'T need a franchise guy, but three of the final four teams have the following at QB: a first-round super inconsistent QB who has to play in a system that makes things easy for him and relies on the run and strong defense. A third-round backup who had one outstanding season and then bounced around to a couple different teams, never able to hold down the starting gig and then wind up back where he was originally drafted as the #2 in a high-powered offense and a pretty speedy/efficient defense. And then there's the undrafted Keenum who got tossed back and forth between the Texans and Rams for the first five years of his career, was inconsistent as the Rams starter in 2016 and has now become a wonderboy in Minnesota. Brees, Ryan, Roethlisberger, etc. have all been eliminated from the playoffs by teams led by QBs who no one would ever willingly choose for their team if they had to pick between those guys and the franchise dudes who are currently planning their golf trips.

Ramble ramble. Go Bills. Do something cool. Like... find THE guy at QB, hope Daboll isn't any worse than Dennison and get back to the playoffs and you know, like, win one... or two... or three... or four and SUPERR BOWWWWLLWLWLWLWLLWLWL... it's been a long day

Bridgewater is a free agent.. Unless the Vikings can get 1 QB signed and choose to place a transistion tag on the other QB I don't think they can really keep 2.

placing a transisiton tag would have them over paynig for a backup because I'm not sure anyone is giving up a 1st for a post injury Bridgewater, and Keenum is most likely the one they choose to keep

Bradford is getting older and never completes a full season, so I see him being let go.. and if your Bridgewater wouldn't you like to explore Free agency and see what kind of deal / starting gig you can get before signign a backup contract to stay with the Vikings

Edited by ddaryl

8 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I think Keenum is having a good career so far, getting better with each an everry game. Unlike Bradford, the arrow is pointing up, obviously, things could change for the worse but I think if he can avoid dumb plays like the int he threw against the Saints, that got them back into the game, he can be a succesful starter in this league. 

If we get Bradford, we need to improve the pass protection, he won't survive the month of September with Mills at RT. 

I disagree.  I think Keenum had a bad career for a QB thus far.  Been in the league 6 seasons while bouncing around between the rams and Texans.  Wasn't good for anyone until this season.  Also some of those passes... even the game winning pass this week is the same type of ball that Zay Jones would have dropped and people would have been all over Tyrod for a poor throw.  Sometimes systems make a QB/offense look good and sometimes receivers make awesome plays and no one says horrible pass.

And before the crowd jumps all over me calling me CoT... that was not a statement in defense of Tyrod.

Edited by Scott7975